Amida's defense down the stretch | The Boneyard

Amida's defense down the stretch

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
In the last 8 minutes of the game, cinci must have gone to Ellis on the low block at least 6 or 7 times. Ellis' first priority was to get Amida his 4th foul. He was really aggressively knocking AB off his position but Amida did a great job of conceding the ground, staying straight up, and making Ellis shoot over him. His close out on Caupain was equally disciplined despite catching an elbow in the face for his troubles (a play that Len Elmore carried on about incorrectly again...) So how was he rewarded for his great play, one of the worst calls against him all year. On yet another attempt to play through Brimah's chest, Ellis got stuck off balance on the low block, Amida gets right up on him and Ellis who had spent the last 6 minutes shoving Brimah all over the court takes a half a step backwards and flails his arms and Amida gets called for a shove.

I do think the kid is starting to get it. When he keeps his mind state of playing in foul trouble for the full 40, he will have fully matured. I think he's going to be a monster next year.

Reaction Score
he was a defensive savant late in the game. Taking blows to the chest, his recovery was immaculate. Let us not forget his activity on the offensive glass, he extended our lead with little time left on a putback in traffic. Brimah is really really good and i'm happy we gottem

Reaction Score
In the last 8 minutes of the game, cinci must have gone to Ellis on the low block at least 6 or 7 times. Ellis' first priority was to get Amida his 4th foul. He was really aggressively knocking AB off his position but Amida did a great job of conceding the ground, staying straight up, and making Ellis shoot over him. His close out on Caupain was equally disciplined despite catching an elbow in the face for his troubles (a play that Len Elmore carried on about incorrectly again...) So how was he rewarded for his great play, one of the worst calls against him all year. On yet another attempt to play through Brimah's chest, Ellis got stuck off balance on the low block, Amida gets right up on him and Ellis who had spent the last 6 minutes shoving Brimah all over the court takes a half a step backwards and flails his arms and Amida gets called for a shove.

I do think the kid is starting to get it. When he keeps his mind state of playing in foul trouble for the full 40, he will have fully matured. I think he's going to be a monster next year.

Brimah is a very good defender despite what some on the board say. He does need to get a lot stronger though so he can body up more. He uses his arms and elbows too much on the block.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Amida is one of the most excitable kids we have ever had. Always in the moment on the court or bench. Look at his guiding Boat last night during the celebration.

And the end-game defense....giggety!

Reaction Score
He is a very good shot blocker. He's a shot changer no doubt. He needs to rebound better which also comes from some decisions on when and when not to try to block shots. He's only okay as far as knowing where to be when hedging and playing actual man defense and not just rim protecting.

But not to be happy he's OURS is ridiculous. He has a ways to go but he's a soph. and will be here for while. It can only get better and should. He loves being a Husky and is passionate - like the kid a ton and want to see him grow.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Hopefully he'll spend all summer strengthening his legs and core, and watching film on how to beat his man to the spot.

Phil's not exactly Bill Russell, but he often makes it harder on his guy than Amida does because he's stronger and because he does a good job of not letting his opponent set up shop right on the block.

Reading the game is a skill. Amida's improved a lot, and it's exciting to think about how much better he can get over the next 2 years.

Reaction Score
AB's major weakness is defensive rebounding, which is a major part of evaluating how well a player defends as a center. However I think he is an above average post defender/pnr defender, and an elite level shotblocker. The later doesn't just fall off trees, think about how bad nolan is at protecting the rim. Because of that he is clearly our best defensive player

Reaction Score
Hopefully he'll spend all summer strengthening his legs and core, and watching film on how to beat his man to the spot.

"Phil's not exactly Bill Russell, "
Congratulations you have just won the AZHuskiePop literary award
For the the best use of hyperbole in an analogy.
Brilliant.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Elmore must be getting old and maybe needs new glasses or lasik. He called what wasn't even a touch foul an intentional which then on replay showed the guy wasn't even touched

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ellis charged 3 times on one play. You can take the ball at the defender but you can't drop your shoulder and ram into the defender's chest. I was screaming my head off. Even my dog, who is now either acclimated to hearing me yell during the games, or is hearing impaired from hearing yell during the games, actually looked up to me as if say "is everything alright or do you need me to bite someone."

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Ellis charged 3 times on one play. You can take the ball at the defender but you can't drop your shoulder and ram into the defender's chest. I was screaming my head off. Even my dog, who is now either acclimated to hearing me yell during the games, or is hearing impaired from hearing yell during the games, actually looked up to me as if say "is everything alright or do you need me to bite someone."
Yeah what was that all about??

Reaction Score
To call him a really good defender is laughable. He plays in a lousy league with mostly bad teams to start. He doesn't understand anything about basketball, positioning, hedging, etc.. He goes for blocks on 100% of possessions. Yes, if you are 7 feet, go for blocks on 30+ defensive possessions and play in a crappy league against crappy teams getting 3-4/game is not some huge feat. And the ones he does get 80% are just giving the team another possession and for every block he gets at least 1-2 plays result in easy put backs because of his poor positioning.

His offensive game looks more limited than ever. Other than lobs he has zero offensive skill. That jump hook thing he tries is funny to watch. Every 3-4 games he does hit an 8-10 footer with no one on him. His release is so methodical and slow he can't get that off against better defenders.

The 1-3 are legitimately top 10 talent level, but when you add in some rotation of Brimah, Facey and Nolan the whole thing implodes quickly.

Brimah tries and plays hard, but his lack of strength, skills and basketball IQ are limiting factors. I get the bias on the board, but the lack of objectivity is amazing.

He is a very good shot blocker. He's a shot changer no doubt. He needs to rebound better which also comes from some decisions on when and when not to try to block shots. He's only okay as far as knowing where to be when hedging and playing actual man defense and not just rim protecting.

But not to be happy he's OURS is ridiculous. He has a ways to go but he's a soph. and will be here for while. It can only get better and should. He loves being a Husky and is passionate - like the kid a ton and want to see him grow.

Reaction Score
Elmore must be getting old and maybe needs new glasses or lasik. He called what wasn't even a touch foul an intentional which then on replay showed the guy wasn't even touched

He does suddenly have trouble understanding what the calls should be on the low block doesn't he. The kid from USF the other night didn't have any finesse in his game and just went right to the hole shoulder first and Len said "I consider that a basketball move" when he knocked Brimah out.:confused:

Reaction Score
To call him a really good defender is laughable. He plays in a lousy league with mostly bad teams to start. He doesn't understand anything about basketball, positioning, hedging, etc.. He goes for blocks on 100% of possessions. Yes, if you are 7 feet, go for blocks on 30+ defensive possessions and play in a crappy league against crappy teams getting 3-4/game is not some huge feat. And the ones he does get 80% are just giving the team another possession and for every block he gets at least 1-2 plays result in easy put backs because of his poor positioning.

His offensive game looks more limited than ever. Other than lobs he has zero offensive skill. That jump hook thing he tries is funny to watch. Every 3-4 games he does hit an 8-10 footer with no one on him. His release is so methodical and slow he can't get that off against better defenders.

The 1-3 are legitimately top 10 talent level, but when you add in some rotation of Brimah, Facey and Nolan the whole thing implodes quickly.

Brimah tries and plays hard, but his lack of strength, skills and basketball IQ are limiting factors. I get the bias on the board, but the lack of objectivity is amazing.

You know I kind of agree with some of your points as you can see but there's a lot better way of communicating these if you are an actual fan of team. I don't think objectivity here is an issue but ignorance can be!

Reaction Score
Ignorance? Not sure I follow on this topic.

I am a fan, but I am objective first. The 4-5s are the worst I can remember. Last night for example the 4-5s contributed 10pts and 8 rebounds. That is terrible, just puts so much strain on the 1-3 to make every play, force bad shots, work hard on every possession, etc.

Brimah tries, but he just has no understanding of basketball that it's somewhat zero sum.

You know I kind of agree with some of your points as you can see but there's a lot better way of communicating these if you are an actual fan of team. I don't think objectivity here is an issue but ignorance can be!

Reaction Score
Ignorance? Not sure I follow on this topic.

I am a fan, but I am objective first. The 4-5s are the worst I can remember. Last night for example the 4-5s contributed 10pts and 8 rebounds. That is terrible, just puts so much strain on the 1-3 to make every play, force bad shots, work hard on every possession, etc.

Brimah tries, but he just has no understanding of basketball that it's somewhat zero sum.

Objective? A little.

We now know you believe he has NO understanding of the game, point we'll taken. It doesn't need to be repeated every Brimah post and with such harshness.

Reaction Score
husky91 said:
Ignorance? Not sure I follow on this topic. I am a fan, but I am objective first. The 4-5s are the worst I can remember. Last night for example the 4-5s contributed 10pts and 8 rebounds. That is terrible, just puts so much strain on the 1-3 to make every play, force bad shots, work hard on every possession, etc. Brimah tries, but he just has no understanding of basketball that it's somewhat zero sum.

You're not even close to objective because you can't make critical observations without taking shots at a kid's character or launching some ad hominem nonsense. Why anyone would even bother to read, let alone respond to, a post of yours is beyond me, and shame on me for doing it now.

Reaction Score
Fair point. His cocky persona on the court is insufferable for a guy who by all stats and skills borderline stinks.

Objective? A little.

We now know you believe he has NO understanding of the game, point we'll taken. It doesn't need to be repeated every Brimah post and with such harshness.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Refs don't know how to call a game. AB's defense didn't change at all, the stripes attitude towards it did. They didn't want to call #5. To AB's credit, he didn't give them an obvious reason to call it. Fouls in the 2nd half were 8-1 against us at that point. The refs want to work again. Has nothing to do with which team was getting the whistle, they were just terrible and boxed themselves into a corner.

Reaction Score
You're not even close to objective because you can't make critical observations without taking shots at a kid's character or launching some ad hominem nonsense. Why anyone would even bother to read, let alone respond to, a post of yours is beyond me, and shame on me for doing it now.

Trying to create a chemistry ;)for today's game Crack, c'mon now. Of course he says "fair point" and then says "stats and skills borderline stinks" so I think I may need to be replaced as his coach!

Reaction Score
His character? Not quite. I think he's cocky and for a player who is lousy there is really nothing more embarrassing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
His character? Not quite. I think he's cocky and for a player who is lousy there is really nothing more embarrassing.
Hmmm...then applying this logic to you means...?

Reaction Score
Mau,

I think we all agree 100% he's a terrible offensive player. Unless he's getting lobs he does nothing on that side.

So then the debate is his defensive play. I land on the side that's a poor defensive player. We know he doesn't rebound, but his going for blocks on every possession leads to many easy and weak side baskets for the other team. Thus, when I add the 2 together I don't think he's a good player at all. And I probably am even more critical because I find his cockiness insulting and embarrassing.

Trying to create a chemistry ;)for today's game Crack, c'mon now. Of course he says "fair point" and then says "stats and skills borderline stinks" so I think I may need to be replaced as his coach!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom