Amida Workingout for the Celtics Today | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Amida Workingout for the Celtics Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Where did this come from? Go put the curlers in your hair and watch another 60 point blowout and tell us how "that's how you play basketball"...hilarious you are even here spewing any crap.

99% of me wants to see Geno continue to dominate...and 1% of me is REALLY curious to see how many UConn WBB fans continue to obsess over the team when they're not making it past the first weekend of the tournament. I suspect crisp passing and good grades, without those 60-point wins, isn't going to get it done.

Reaction Score
We all love Amida but his lack of strength and lack of understanding of the game makes him a long shot to make any team even if he was drafted in the second round. Would another year at UConn improve his chances to be drafted in the first round or make a team after next year? Its hard to predict. Still, my guess that most NBA people are thinking that someone as raw as Amida could benefit greatly with one more year of college ball. I hope he listens more to coach Ollie than some NBA team that might draft at the end of the second round.

Reaction Score
99% of me wants to see Geno continue to dominate...and 1% of me is REALLY curious to see how many UConn WBB fans continue to obsess over the team when they're not making it past the first weekend of the tournament. I suspect crisp passing and good grades, without those 60-point wins, isn't going to get it done.
Success has a million fathers ,failure tends to decrease the multitude on the band wagon.

Reaction Score
We all love Amida but his lack of strength and lack of understanding of the game makes him a long shot to make any team even if he was drafted in the second round. Would another year at UConn improve his chances to be drafted in the first round or make a team after next year? Its hard to predict. Still, my guess that most NBA people are thinking that someone as raw as Amida could benefit greatly with one more year of college ball. I hope he listens more to coach Ollie than some NBA team that might draft at the end of the second round.

This ^^ it really is his best chance if there is any. But it's his choice and he will listen to whom he thinks has the plan for the best success, hopefully as you say even the NBA guys will be honest.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
My initial reaction to seeing this post was:

"Is it possible for someone to foul out of an NBA workout?";)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Thabeet being drafted 2nd overall indicates that NBA execs believe that height can't be taught. Thabeet career trajectory tells us that there are a large number of other skills that should have been learned before attempting to make it as a basketball player in the NBA.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
What's the date that Brimah has to decide by?

Reaction Score
Thabeet being drafted 2nd overall indicates that NBA execs believe that height can't be taught. Thabeet career trajectory tells us that there are a large number of other skills that should have been learned before attempting to make it as a basketball player in the NBA.

But they aren't close as players that's the problem. To not think Thabeet was going to be a decent player at worst would have been crazy. He was a better defender, a better scorer, smarter and larger by far - actually not close in any category. Shows how hard it is even for a big man. I believe AB would work harder to be who he wants to be than HT did but the amount he needs to improve makes the odds greater.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He should only leave if he gets a rock solid promise from a team with multiple 2nd rounders.

Reaction Score
He should only leave if he gets a rock solid promise from a team with multiple 2nd rounders.

He should not leave.

He did not play really any better this past season than the one before it, he isn't one to devalue the education he's receiving at UConn, and he's only 1 season away from earning that degree. I know its possible he goes, but I think he enjoys the college experience. He seems like such a joy to be around, with an exuberance for life that makes being the 7' center of a college basketball team a lot of fun on campus.
I firmly believe he put his name in at the suggestion of Ollie and others, so that what they tell him to focus on in the next year doesn't at all come with skepticism since he will have heard the same from NBA scouts/coaches. You can always be the guy who makes it out of the fire of a Europe season and a few in the D-League, but I think the longer he plays in college the less likely he is to need that before getting a shot in an NBA game.

I just am not worried about him, I think Amida will do what is truly best for him. For all we know that ends up being entering the draft with an agent, getting drafted by the Celtics in the 2nd round, spending a year overseas and having a decent shot at the NBA, but I don't think it will be. I think he will be a delight to the scouts at any workouts he gets and they will be watching him next season

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
@Kembacity If he ever gets a 100% promise of a draft pick, he should take it. He's never going to be a lottery pick, so he may as well maximize his earning potential.

Reaction Score
@Kembacity If he ever gets a 100% promise of a draft pick, he should take it. He's never going to be a lottery pick, so he may as well maximize his earning potential.

The problem is a 'promise' doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure there are guys who are told repeatedly, we're taking you, and then somehow the following week they plummet down the ranks. I don't know why they'd blow smoke up someone's butt, I think it's more just about how they feel at the moment. If they tell a guy we're taking you, maybe he doesn't set up workouts with teams after them in the draft. Then the following week, they see some other guys' workouts and say oh wow, screw so and so, let's get this guy.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The problem is a 'promise' doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure there are guys who are told repeatedly, we're taking you, and then somehow the following week they plummet down the ranks. I don't know why they'd blow smoke up someone's butt, I think it's more just about how they feel at the moment. If they tell a guy we're taking you, maybe he doesn't set up workouts with teams after them in the draft. Then the following week, they see some other guys' workouts and say oh wow, screw so and so, let's get this guy.
A GM worth anything would never promise a player anything of the sort. Even a hint of a strong suggestion should garner a sideways glance. What if during the 1998 workouts, the Celtics told Michael Doleac they were interested and if he were there, he was coming to Boston. Not exactly a crazy notion. Doleac was a premier player on a team that went to the NCAA Finals and the Celtics' front office was a mess...dare I say incompetent. Of course, that would have been before Paul Pierce inexplicably slipped about 6 or more spots and was a definitively better player than Doleac, even in college and projected much higher, on an underachieving Kansas team.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think that type of thing hurts fringe first rounders who are considering returning to school if they aren't promised to be picked. Guys like Brimah probably will be lucky to be a second round pick, so if someone says "we're taking you" i'd jump on it. JMO

Reaction Score
Thabeet's failure rested squarely with his lack of desire.
I watched him play in the NBA ,and when he actually decided to work he could be
a defensive force.. However those moments were rare.He took the money and went through the motions
If he had Brimah desire he would still be a force.
On the other hand Brimah is not even close to having Thabeet phyical presence .
He is a thin 6'11 guy with poor hands ,who works hard ,his other skill besides attitude is an ability to block shots.usually of smaller less athletic players. He also runs the court well.
It's probably worth a shot to draft a guy with those abilities and see if he has the fortitude to learn the game to a serviceable degree.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I certainly wish Amida the best of success in life...but I really want him to come back because UConn needs him. I fully expect Steve Enoch to be better next year but with his propensity for fouling, we absolutely need to have another solid center on the roster!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Thabeet's failure rested squarely with his lack of desire.
I watched him play in the NBA ,and when he actually decided to work he could be
a defensive force.. However those moments were rare.He took the money and went through the motions
If he had Brimah desire he would still be a force.
On the other hand Brimah is not even close to having Thabeet phyical presence .
He is a thin 6'11 guy with poor hands ,who works hard ,his other skill besides attitude is an ability to block shots.usually of smaller less athletic players. He also runs the court well.
It's probably worth a shot to draft a guy with those abilities and see if he has the fortitude to learn the game to a serviceable degree.

Only problem is there are better college players to take that chance with. The question is not "would you take a shot on AB" The question is "Would you choose him over everybody else available from college or Europe?"

Reaction Score
Good for Amida...hopefully he returns but I like he is taking all this experience without hiring an agent.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Only problem is there are better college players to take that chance with. The question is not "would you take a shot on AB" The question is "Would you choose him over everybody else available from college or Europe?"

Brimah is also a good foul shooter and has a nice touch at 15 ft. He has tools.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I love Brimah. Just hard to see him as one of the 60 most valuable players counting Europeans.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Based on the college rah-rah kid we all love, and some love to hate, the day he leaves campus will be the saddest day of his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom