American media day news | Page 2 | The Boneyard

American media day news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If Purvis makes his free throws and layups this year without making any other improvements to his game then he's a first-team all-conference player.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Anyone remember Purvis averaged over 15 ppg in the first half of last year? Then we was benched for no reason (I still don't understand it) and his confidence tanked. To echo Rico, if he makes his free throws and layups, he can easily average 16+. When's the last time a 16 ppg UConn player didn't make an all-conference team in the Big East? Let alone the facking American Athletic Conference?

Reaction Score
Anyone remember Purvis averaged over 15 ppg in the first half of last year? Then we was benched for no reason (I still don't understand it) and his confidence tanked. To echo Rico, if he makes his free throws and layups, he can easily average 16+. When's the last time a 16 ppg UConn player didn't make an all-conference team in the Big East? Let alone the facking American Athletic Conference?

What's there not to understand ? KO was coming off a 1-2 stretch that included an abominable 1-9 purvis performance. He shook things up and Adams responded, that was an important spike up in Adams minutes because his play peaked a month later. Look it would have taken black magic to get both those guys and Hamilton and Gibbs to perform consistently, the season was marred by inconsistent play from pretty much everyone.

Reaction Score
My judgement from the last two years of Purvis is that he's a high usage, inefficient player. He often is out of control, fails to finish on the break a lot of the time, underperforms at the FT line, and doesn't have the ability to function effectively in a half court offense because he's so far lacked the ability to break someone down off the dribble. His best assets are his fast break speed and recently accurate 3 PT shooting. If he wasn't in the game most of his points would be distributed elsewhere, so he doesn't add a lot of points to the offense.

Can't really blame coaches for not picking him to be an all first or second team selection. But I do think he'll improve his efficiency this year as he continues to mature and the game slows down for him.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

I can't wait until he sticks it up their Scalitos.

I've been paying obsessive attention ( as many of us have) to all things UConn hoops for 30 plus years now. Over a period like that one can get a feel for a player about to make a leap. I've been touting him for PoY since before the end of last season. I feel it coming. Will he actually win POY? Well there are a couple other nice candidates ( Lawson and the cinci duo) but I think he will be right there and without any doubt first team conference.

Feel free to ridicule me if I'm wrong as the season progresses. I've got thick skin, just the greatest thickest skin, it's so great, and my temperament is just tremendous. The best temperament. believe me.

In non Trumpian vernacular: I can take it.

But on the flip side if and when I'm right, feel free to sing my accolades and say things like " august my man, you are the champ for a reason."

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score

I'm not going to go too crazy but that's certainly a veiled shot at KO.

Wouldn't go that far. Mick has stated everyone missed on Broome. He said that one of his assistants told him he actually saw Broome play in AAU but Mick didn't even remember (so essentially he dismissed him that quickly). Mick is a whiny POS, no doubt, but I think you're over thinking that one.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't go that far. Mick has stated everyone missed on Broome. He said that one of his assistants told him he actually saw Broome play in AAU but Mick didn't even remember (so essentially he dismissed him that quickly). Mick is a whiny POS, no doubt, but I think you're over thinking that one.
Maybe but you should know how often cane was on campus and how well his family knows KO and the program. He's from east Hartford , it's completely plausible Cronin is referring to the powerhouse down the road.

Reaction Score
Maybe but you should know how often cane was on campus and how well his family knows KO and the program. He's from east Hartford , it's completely plausible Cronin is referring to the powerhouse down the road.
It's definitely possible, but I don't think he was talking about KO and UConn. Read all his other comments and shots at UConn over the years, he's never that subtle with his jabs

Reaction Score
My judgement from the last two years of Purvis is that he's a high usage, inefficient player. He often is out of control, fails to finish on the break a lot of the time, underperforms at the FT line, and doesn't have the ability to function effectively in a half court offense because he's so far lacked the ability to break someone down off the dribble. His best assets are his fast break speed and recently accurate 3 PT shooting. If he wasn't in the game most of his points would be distributed elsewhere, so he doesn't add a lot of points to the offense.

Can't really blame coaches for not picking him to be an all first or second team selection. But I do think he'll improve his efficiency this year as he continues to mature and the game slows down for him.

The thing I hate about your write-up is that it focuses on his early problems, and gives him no credit for all the improvements later on. He played under more control, he hit his free throws, etc.

Someone is going to give you the breakdown, but Purvis shot FTs pretty decently after the first third of the seasons.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Did you watch him in the AAC tourney last year and against KU?
He may have been what you described in his early days with UConn but there has been vast improvement at the FT line, ball handling and his passing has gained ground. I agree with finishing.
I think you are way too harsh in your assessment

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Rodney Purvis does not deserve to make 1st or 2nd team. Sure he can defend and make the 3 but the guy drives you nuts watching him play. Doesn't have a feel for the game or good instincts. Lots of athleticism that will help you in spurts but he hasn't been consistent enough to warrant all-league.....but I sure hope I'll be eating my words come April.
WOW
I hope you will be chocking on your words
From your description, if I was KO, I would bench him now
Even Kobe can't believe it but you somehow can..............................

Reaction Score
Purvis scoring can go down and still become a more important contributor if his defense rebounds go up. He has a tendency to basket hang. That gets him some bunnies and a few fast break points a game but he would be an overall better player if he hit the defensive boards.

Reaction Score
Feel free to ridicule me if I'm wrong as the season progresses. I've got thick skin, just the greatest thickest skin, it's so great, and my temperament is just tremendous. The best temperament. believe me.

In non Trumpian vernacular: I can take it.

But on the flip side if and when I'm right, feel free to sing my accolades and say things like " august my man, you are the champ for a reason."
I'm starting to regret making that championship belt.

I've heard rumors that (Reverse) Sheep Trivia was rigged...

Reaction Score
Purvis scoring can go down and still become a more important contributor if his defense rebounds go up. He has a tendency to basket hang. That gets him some bunnies and a few fast break points a game but he would be an overall better player if he hit the defensive boards.

Good point and when he did need to stay home in big spots he proved to be a solid rebounder at times, it was noticeable as he grabbed some big ones down the stretch of games.

Reaction Score
I like Purvis he can shoot but his ball handling never improved. He will never be able to break guys down off the dribble. What he does have is an explosive first step, if you give him room and don't expect it he will blow by you and ....miss a layup. Sorry I had too.

Reaction Score
upload_2016-10-24_14-26-14.png

lol deadspin has it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members