American goal: Big wins to forge new identity | The Boneyard

American goal: Big wins to forge new identity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Desmond Conner (@desmondconner)
5/15/13, 7:05 PM
Aresco had a lot of praise for #UConn AD Warde Manuel. So I asked for one thing he liked "that the guy will play anybody, he's not afraid."

Reaction Score
I'm so sick of the "just win" and everything will be fine mantra. We have won. If we win, we will still be collecting significantly less $ than our closest competitors. This will affect what we pay coaches, facilities, etc.

Reaction Score
This article is more about respect than just the number of W's. Doesn't help to beat FCS teams and lose the higher profile game.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's like when a bird shts on you, and people say it's good luck. It's just something people say to make you feel better because you got on! "Just win" is what people say when they have been demoted to a have-not.

Reaction Score
It's like when a bird shts on you, and people say it's good luck. It's just something people say to make you feel better because you got on! "Just win" is what people say when they have been demoted to a have-not.

I guess I'm missing where in this article it says "just win and everything will be alright"?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It wasn't a direct quote but that's definitely the vision they are selling...

"Perception is pretty much everything nowadays, so you have to go out and win some of those ballgames, so nobody looks at you as any less than what they are already."

"It'll take a little time for this conference to make its mark, but I'm pretty confident it will," said UConn coach Paul Pasqualoni, whose teams plays host to Michigan and Maryland. "For us, now, in this conference, how we do in those games will be pretty important as you move forward from 2014 forward."

"For our young program in order to go where I want our football team to go, you have to play those teams and beat them."

Reaction Score

"Perception is pretty much everything nowadays, so you have to go out and win some of those ballgames, so nobody looks at you as any less than what they are already."

"It'll take a little time for this conference to make its mark, but I'm pretty confident it will," said UConn coach Paul Pasqualoni, whose teams plays host to Michigan and Maryland. "For us, now, in this conference, how we do in those games will be pretty important as you move forward from 2014 forward."

"For our young program in order to go where I want our football team to go, you have to play those teams and beat them."

I read it as there are teams in this Conference that are just as good if not better than the "power 5"... Go out and prove it and stop getting on.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I agree. I think it'll be tough to prove, but I agree that that's what they were saying.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm so sick of the "just win" and everything will be fine mantra. We have won. If we win, we will still be collecting significantly less $ than our closest competitors. This will affect what we pay coaches, facilities, etc.
I gotta disagree on this one. If we did win then we probably wouldn't be where we are right now. We'd probably be sitting where Louisville is. Instead, we have only won 5 games for the past two seasons, haven't beaten a major name opponent since we beat South Carolina and Notre Dame in 2009, and ended the Fiesta Bowl with a lopsided score against us (yes we know we were in the game until the 4th quarter but the Average fan didn't watch and sees the score). So no, we haven't won a lot of anything. If we start winning more, it's easier for some of the bigger schools to swallow accepting us into the league as a football power. We have all the other qualifiers to be in the ACC and could easily make a better case for the B1G than Rutgers.

The bottom line is, we're a young football program at the FBS level, we've been mediocre to poor the past two seasons, and we really haven't beaten anyone lately. So yeah, if we "Just Win" we'll find ourselves in a better position in a few years time thanks to a beefier schedule put together/held together by Warde.

Reaction Score
If and when this conference starts winning, you can bet that the power conferences will only play us on their fields or neutral fields. Or they just wont play AAC teams at all.

Reaction Score
I gotta disagree on this one. If we did win then we probably wouldn't be where we are right now. We'd probably be sitting where Louisville is. Instead, we have only won 5 games for the past two seasons, haven't beaten a major name opponent since we beat South Carolina and Notre Dame in 2009, and ended the Fiesta Bowl with a lopsided score against us (yes we know we were in the game until the 4th quarter but the Average fan didn't watch and sees the score). So no, we haven't won a lot of anything. If we start winning more, it's easier for some of the bigger schools to swallow accepting us into the league as a football power. We have all the other qualifiers to be in the ACC and could easily make a better case for the B1G than Rutgers.

The bottom line is, we're a young football program at the FBS level, we've been mediocre to poor the past two seasons, and we really haven't beaten anyone lately. So yeah, if we "Just Win" we'll find ourselves in a better position in a few years time thanks to a beefier schedule put together/held together by Warde.
WVU in 2010? Orange Bowl champion Louisville last year? Or are you talking OOC? Haven't had a bunch of chances there.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
WVU in 2010? Orange Bowl champion Louisville last year? Or are you talking OOC? Haven't had a bunch of chances there.
I was talking more OOC because not many people respected BE teams when playing in conference. Case in point, UConn's win over Louisville last yesr wasn't even mentioned during ESPN's tour of spring practice and their stop at Louisville. They talked about their losses and wins and didn't even mention their loss to us. We need to win more OOC. Shoulda clarified.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was talking more OOC because not many people respected BE teams when playing in conference. Case in point, UConn's win over Louisville last yesr wasn't even mentioned during ESPN's tour of spring practice and their stop at Louisville. They talked about their losses and wins and didn't even mention their loss to us. We need to win more OOC. Shoulda clarified.

Beating good teams only helps if you don't also lose to bad ones. No losses to MAC teams or Temple.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Anyone else get a little queasy when we talk about this conference strategically? It just brings home the reality that this could be our home for a long time... ah excuse me I have to vomit.

Reaction Score
Who knows if and for how long any of the AAC teams will be in this reformed league........​
I think we've beaten the horse to death too many timesover the perception of the AAC........I get it.......no one is happy........but for now it is what it is.​
My fear is, if we (collective die hard fans of every AAC team) keep on using the same terms that denegrate the league from a national perspective......it will become part of the athletes DNA. "We stink" "the teams stink" "the league stinks"...etc., etc., and pretty soon all the teams will live up to that dismal perception.​
I refuse to believe that the AAC is void of any athletes on any team that can't compete with the BIG boys. I like the coaches attitude as well as Aresco........."what we have to do to shut the mouth of those that idolize the "elite" conferences is to schedule them and beat them". We are talking about beating the FSC's, or MAC's, etc.......but those from the BIG, SEC, ACC, etc.​
I'm with the coaches.....fully behind the players......and telling them to go out and beat those "SOB's".......and that will shut the mouths of all the nay-sayers.​
Fans of all the AAC teams and players need to get behind them and build up their "ego's" that everyone else wants to tear down. If we keep emphasizing the negative that sports analysists spit out of their mouth about the teams and league.....that's what we get.​
Scheduling tough is the first step.......beating those "elite" teams is the second.......but being strongly behind all our teams and kids top all of that........they train just as hard and breathe the same air as the "BIG 5".

The kids on all the teams need to know we believe in them.......they deserve it from all AAC fans......even if no one else in the country thinks so.

So let's pack the stands and go hoarse by opening kick-off!

Reaction Score
TD well stated. It's time to stop behaving like we are the victim. It took a mind set change but I'm now coming from the same place as you. I'll follow and root for the Huskies and also for all of our conference mates when they play OOC.

Reaction Score
Elephant in the room.

Need more than 25,000 fans per game. Otherwise we go nowhere no matter how much we win.

Ohio State ain't com'n.

Reaction Score

If I close my eyes when PP is talking, I swear I hear Ben Stein.

Reaction Score

Yeah I should have figured. We have shots 2/3 weeks to start the season!

I've been having a beautiful dream vision of us clobbering Maryland and knocking off Michigan to kick off the year and send shock waves through college football a la the 2011 hoops team with the Maui Invite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom