American Athletic Conference Preview: Cincinnati, UConn and SMU battle for the crown | Page 2 | The Boneyard

American Athletic Conference Preview: Cincinnati, UConn and SMU battle for the crown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jacob Evans is probably our most talented player. I think we end up with 3 first or second team all league guys in Clark, Caupain and Evans. Our season hinges on how consistent NC State transfer Kyle Washington can be at the 5 spot. Ellis never became the offensive player we hoped but he was the anchor of a very good defense for two seasons.

As for Conference POY, that is Lawson's award to lose. Clark, Caupain, Purvis, Adams (maybe, seems he was only good against us...LOL), Dotson from Houston, Shake Milton and Ben Moore from SMU all in the mix.

Really excited to see what Tubby can do at Memphis. He can coach a little, which is way, way, way more than you could say about the last guy. Whether he can recruit at the same level is TBD, but for this year at least, I imagine they'll make a run at the conference title.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We owe LB the world for what he did to make us relevant and the talent he brought in but his offensive decisions were often questioned. He hated the three ball and we have a team full of three point shooters. Jank loves the three so look for us to shoot a lot more this year.

FYI, and this may sound strange from a conference competitor, but UConn wants you to be good and needs you to be good. We need Tubby to bring Memphis back up as well. We need Temple to get to where they should be, UC to be what they usually are and ideally Houston to get better. I've all but given up on the Florida schools ever doing anything. Tulsa has had some strong hoops teams in its history, we need them to upgrade.

We're stuck in this league, and while I think the football has been pretty solid, basketball needs to be better. The NCAA committee treats the league like dog poop, in part because the bottom is so awful and because the OOC schedules are terrible.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Lottery pick? Talk about overhyping a guy. I would be thrilled if he is just a solid contributor this season.

And I'm between you both. But his baseline should be more than just solid. I'd be thrilled if he was a top 3 option. Don't know if he'll do that of course.

Reaction Score
I admire the optimism, but I think this post errs closer to delusional. Better than last year? When you lost Moore, Kennedy, and Tolbert among others? Won't help either that the kid that got you on probation is gone. I mean, it's not even a knock on the current SMU team to think that they won't be near as good as last year. You were really, really good last year, probably even better than the final numbers indicate given the understandable letdown towards the end of the season.

They have some pieces for sure. I think Ben Moore is a really good player and you're right, Milton was impressive as a freshman. Beyond that, though, there are a lot of unknowns - I wouldn't be shocked to see them get into the tournament, but I'd bet against it with a gun to my head. A team like Cincinnati or UConn dances next year barring a complete catastrophe.
The biggest upgrade from last year's team will be we have seven players that can play multiple positions. Semi will be an upgrade over Kennedy and Froling will replace Tolbert but I'm very uncertain about Froling's game.

Semi is an elite athlete with a very good outside jumper. He has all-conference ability. Our two Aussies, Froling and Wilson, are the only unknowns. Froling picked SMU over Arizona and Wisconsin, Wilson wasn't as heavily recruited but I've heard is more prepared for the college game than Froling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FYIi, and this may sound strange from a conference competitor, but UConn wants you to be good and needs you to be good. We need Tubby to bring Memphis back up as well. We need Temple to get to where they should be, UC to be what they usually are and ideally Houston to get better. I've all but given up on the Florida schools ever doing anything. Tulsa has had some strong hoops teams in its history, we need them to upgrade.

We're stuck in this league, and while I think the football has been pretty solid, basketball needs to be better. The NCAA committee treats the league like dog poop, in part because the bottom is so awful and because the OOC schedules are terrible.
I get it. Hell, no one roots harder for UConn than I do in out of conference games. I want all AAC schools to do well and finish second behind us. TCU is the only school I always root against.

I'm proud of the fact that we are 5-2 against UConn since the start of the AAC.

Reaction Score
The biggest upgrade from last year's team will be we have seven players that can play multiple positions. Semi will be an upgrade over Kennedy and Froling will replace Tolbert but I'm very uncertain about Froling's game.

Semi is an elite athlete with a very good outside jumper. He has all-conference ability. Our two Aussies, Froling and Wilson, are the only unknowns. Froling picked SMU over Arizona and Wisconsin, Wilson wasn't as heavily recruited but I've heard is more prepared for the college game than Froling.
I think Semi will be a good player but don't get ahead of yourself and say he will be better than Kennedy. Kennedy was a good low post scored, and a great passer and rebounder

Reaction Score
="CardiacAndre7, post: 1850546, member: 5132"]I think Semi will be a good player but don't get ahead of yourself and say he will be better than Kennedy. Kennedy was a good low post scored, and a great passer and rebounder[/QUOTE]
Kennedy was one of the key guys in turning our program around but Semi's ceiling is way above MK's. SemBron (what his teammates call him) was one if the top recruits in the country for a reason. SMU coaches believe he is an NBA player. The few times I've seen him practice at SMU, he certainly looks the part.

Reaction Score
I thought that was last year?

But seriously, when was the last time UConn won a regular season title? 2006!!!! We have been to the Final 4 FOUR TIMES since we managed to come out on top of our conference season.
That's a testament to the depths of the conferences we've been in. The AAC can strengthen itself more in basketball. Will require more investment, obviously, from some schools.

Reaction Score
Mustangs may be as good or better than last year but not right away. Many new faces and even an old question mark or two.

Can Nic's contributions be replaced by Shake and a couple of frosh?
Can SMU withstand the loss of two top rebounders?
And then the LB effect.....

It's easy to see why expectations are low.

However....

How good is Semi?
Does Shake improve to an NBA first rounder?
Does a healthy Ben Emelogou play much better without LB dogging him?
How good is Froling?
Do Wilson and McDowell make immediate contributions or do they go "deer in the headlights" for awhile?

The MSG tourney the second week of the season will be interesting and shed a ton of light on all of the above.
But whether we go 0-2, 2-0 or 1-1 there...This is a good team by conference time.

oh yeah.....and we own you!Head bang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22