Amber Orrange Waived By N.Y. Liberty | The Boneyard

Amber Orrange Waived By N.Y. Liberty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I missed this yesterday. Must have been all the news from the Liberty about Kiah. :)

[LINK] to WNBA up-to-date transactions.

Reaction Score
I missed this yesterday. Must have been all the news from the Liberty about Kiah. :)

[LINK] to WNBA up-to-date transactions.
Javaman--a question for you---is Stanford a system that benefits smaller guard play? Amber fit nicely withing the Stanford system, what is she lacking that got her waived by the Liberty??

Reaction Score
Javaman--a question for you---is Stanford a system that benefits smaller guard play? Amber fit nicely withing the Stanford system, what is she lacking that got her waived by the Liberty??
We'd have to be part of Liberty's management to know that. But, if I had to guess, I'd say 1) N.Y. had/has a bunch of guards, she was probably the shortest of the bunch, and 2) I always thought her jump shot was less than superior. I think her release may be too slow and too low for the pros. I admired her spunk, though. I think you were correct, "Amber fit nicely withing the Stanford system." Maybe she'll get picked up by another team ...I hope so, but, I wouldn't bet on it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
About 2 years ago, I thought Amber has WNBA potential. I don't think she improved as much in her last season as I had hoped. It's very tough to make a WNBA roster. Of the 36 draftees, I'll be surprised if more than 15 make it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
the WNBA isnt gambling on rookies... who are the other guards on the liberty roster?

(edit) Wiggins, Prince... Tanisha Wright even Sugar Rodgers who has a couple of years under her belt

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
You knew she was doomed when that "brilliant" basketball mind Isiah Thomas said good things about her....

Reaction Score

Very good question. I have thinking about these guards and others from Stanford who are/were very good but, they have a hard time finding their footing in the Pros. All of us are in agreement about the solid training/coaching at Stanford, so what is the problem (keeping the two sisters out of the mix).

Reaction Score
We'd have to be part of Liberty's management to know that. But, if I had to guess, I'd say 1) N.Y. had/has a bunch of guards, she was probably the shortest of the bunch, and 2) I always thought her jump shot was less than superior. I think her release may be too slow and too low for the pros. I admired her spunk, though. I think you were correct, "Amber fit nicely withing the Stanford system." Maybe she'll get picked up by another team ...I hope so, but, I wouldn't bet on it.

JavaMan--Thank you, great job for "Not being Liberty's Management". I, not having your knowledge or skills, think I am seeing more Former College players being waived--are they over rated ?? Thanks again for the synopsis.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
They're not overrated - it's just that the WNBA is a totally different level. AND there simply aren't that many open roster spots.

Reaction Score
Very good question. I have thinking about these guards and others from Stanford who are/were very good but, they have a hard time finding their footing in the Pros. All of us are in agreement about the solid training/coaching at Stanford, so what is the problem (keeping the two sisters out of the mix).

I like what you say. Which begs the question: What does Geno do for his players that makes so many mid to top rated Pro's??? He's been pretty successful in those who have gone pro.

Reaction Score
They're not overrated - it's just that the WNBA is a totally different level. AND there simply aren't that many open roster spots.
My overrated question was poorly stated. Should have said something like, while good or very good College players are they overrated going into the draft. I guess that's for the draft to decide?? Thanks for the reply!!!

Reaction Score
Well, normally UConn gets better players to begin with...if they are successful at every level they play, it's not a huge surprise when they are successful pros.

If you look at most recruiting charts there are over 100 players rated. Some rated top 10, don't succeed even in college. Some top 20 players Geno gets leave or don't perform well. Duke the last few years, South Carolina, Notre Dame, Stanford have all had top rated players yet (with out stats to back it up) I dare say Uconn pro players have done much better. There has to be something in the Water at Storrs!!!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I like what you say. Which begs the question: What does Geno do for his players that makes so many mid to top rated Pro's??? He's been pretty successful in those who have gone pro.
they are good people, come in with high bball IQ's, humble... and act very professional. the UConn name is a good thing to have on your resume going into the pros. Not sure if a few recent UConn selections would have been selected if they went to other schools or they may have be waived soon after being drafted

Reaction Score
From John Altavilla's column of May 23rd:

New York assistant Katie Smith, a seven-time All-Star who was voted one of the top 15 players in WNBA history in 2011, said she has noticed how polished Stokes' game became during her college career.
"Coming from UConn, we understand [Geno Auriemma's] players have already learned quite a bit and are detail-oriented," Smith said. "They understand the game and catch on very quick. If they've played for four years and done their part for that program, there is a built-in professionalism that comes to the WNBA with them. It shows, they catch on; they understand some of the nuances. So as a coach, you understand right from the start that they can handle it.

Reaction Score
Don't know why Orrange was cut, but it's tough being a WNBA guard without a decent off-hand. And she was all left, all the time.

Reaction Score
I think it's the "Triangle Offense" that Bill likes to run. Amber had a perplexed look on her face at the Chi-Town game. So did Boyd but she looked like she might be "getting it" and Bill was talking to her more ( and playing her more).

That'd really what the Liberty need to start off the season- someone to run the offense until Prince gets back but is she even capable of running that offense? They have a lot of scoring guards- why did they trade Cruz?

Reaction Score
hjoerring - I like the extending question - why are they having a hard time finding their footing in the Pros? Let's start with recruiting. IMHO Stanford (like many other teams) have their own philosophy. when I think Stanford I see tall, outside shooters, not typically guard oriented (as we all note the last two years were a change for Tara.) I never think ATHLETE first, but skills and fundamentals are preferred. Stanford smart & team ball. Of course, there were the two sisters who were good athletes inside. Not many others that I can think of. Can anyone think of a slasher, scorer who led Stanford? I can't. So the Pro teams have dozens of tall, sound, players, who are more one dimensional (outside shooters) than dominating types. Along comes a sound player with some physical attribute and they make the squad. Just an aside, I think Notre Dame recruits like Stanford with the extra twist of bringing in more athletes who can bring it. That's why ND has been slightly ahead of Stanford these last 10 years. One more point, ND and UConn do so many of the same things (team play, passing the ball, good defense, great coaching, etc.), but UConn brings in recruits a smidge higher and develops them more fully, extending their skills. KML was a perfect example. As a senior, K was a better defender, a good rebounder, she could post up, she had more assists. How has ND outside shooter (Mabrey) developed? Her numbers and effectiveness have been stagnant.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Nicole Powell was pretty good at Stanford (DT era)... but was she considered a post player?

Reaction Score
hjoerring - I like the extending question - why are they having a hard time finding their footing in the Pros? Let's start with recruiting. IMHO Stanford (like many other teams) have their own philosophy. when I think Stanford I see tall, outside shooters, not typically guard oriented (as we all note the last two years were a change for Tara.) I never think ATHLETE first, but skills and fundamentals are preferred. Stanford smart & team ball. Of course, there were the two sisters who were good athletes inside. Not many others that I can think of. Can anyone think of a slasher, scorer who led Stanford? I can't. So the Pro teams have dozens of tall, sound, players, who are more one dimensional (outside shooters) than dominating types. Along comes a sound player with some physical attribute and they make the squad. Just an aside, I think Notre Dame recruits like Stanford with the extra twist of bringing in more athletes who can bring it. That's why ND has been slightly ahead of Stanford these last 10 years. One more point, ND and UConn do so many of the same things (team play, passing the ball, good defense, great coaching, etc.), but UConn brings in recruits a smidge higher and develops them more fully, extending their skills. KML was a perfect example. As a senior, K was a better defender, a good rebounder, she could post up, she had more assists. How has ND outside shooter (Mabrey) developed? Her numbers and effectiveness have been stagnant.

A bit off-track from the good points you make, Coach, but it seems like ever since Van Derveer has been at Stanford, they have always had ONE great first-team All-American around which the team was built. But only one. From Chiney and Nneka Ogwumike to Jayne Appel to Candice Wiggins, Nicole Powell and (best name) Kate Starbird, Stanford has had some fantastic players. But it mostly stopped there, at one. There were pretty much no secondary, complementary pieces needed to win championships. No Ashley Battles, no Tamika Williams. I think you need two. Two great players together on the same team can get it done, but if there is just one star player alone, it becomes exceedingly difficult (though not impossible- DIANA!) to win Championships.

Seems like Stanford teams always ran offense through their star player, trying to free her up and facilitating her scoring. In the pros, these collegiate stars are just one of many and all of a sudden they don't get the benefit of entire game-plans geared to make them successful scorers. Perhaps too difficult an adjustment for some players to make, the jump from you're-the-star Stanford to the WNBA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
These are those moments where I wish that the WNBA had more teams. Wish Amber all the best. Hoping that another team takes a chance and gives her a shot.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Stanford with their academic angle may prevent a few players from going there!

Reaction Score
they are good people, come in with high bball IQ's, humble... and act very professional. the UConn name is a good thing to have on your resume going into the pros. Not sure if a few recent UConn selections would have been selected if they went to other schools or they may have be waived soon after being drafted

WHAAAAAAAAAAATTT??? Big Daddy- While I absolutely respect and enjoy your opinions on anything, anytime... To suggest WNBA teams are so disingenuous, so disinterested in winning and improving their teams via the draft, and so fiscally irresponsible as to be willing to draft and provide precious roster spots for undeserving players because of the name on their college jersey is absolutely NONSENSICAL.

- All things equal, maybe the Connecticut Sun would draft a UConn player, thinking the local kid might put a few extra fans in the stands. Or any WNBA team drafting a 'local' kid when all other considerations weigh in virtually the same. But even that I doubt.

- If I didn't know better I'd swear you were rocky top or dookie. [ru?]

Reaction Score
A bit off-track from the good points you make, Coach, but it seems like ever since Van Derveer has been at Stanford, they have always had ONE great first-team All-American around which the team was built. But only one. From Chiney and Nneka Ogwumike to Jayne Appel to Candice Wiggins, Nicole Powell and (best name) Kate Starbird, Stanford has had some fantastic players. But it mostly stopped there, at one. There were pretty much no secondary, complementary pieces needed to win championships. No Ashley Battles, no Tamika Williams. I think you need two. Two great players together on the same team can get it done, but if there is just one star player alone, it becomes exceedingly difficult (though not impossible- DIANA!) to win Championships.

Seems like Stanford teams always ran offense through their star player, trying to free her up and facilitating her scoring. In the pros, these collegiate stars are just one of many and all of a sudden they don't get the benefit of entire game-plans geared to make them successful scorers. Perhaps too difficult an adjustment for some players to make, the jump from you're-the-star Stanford to the WNBA.
Yo Rule - I like the way you think. You clarified the problem and peeled down another layer--One great player and everything goes through her. Dead on! You also supplied the names that escaped me and some I never remembered. What you posted brought back a tidbit Geno barked out one day (I forget what he was pontificating on) but he said, " my goal is to get/have/develop 2 great players EVERY YEAR." What a contrast to Tara Van. Looks like Geno is pretty close to reaching that lofty goal--year after year after year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom