Amari: New Leaf Just Budding? | The Boneyard

Amari: New Leaf Just Budding?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno on what he's seeing.

"Auriemma said Amari DeBerry “comes and goes,” and is therefore considered half a player.

“Some days she’s good to go, some days she’s not,” Auriemma said of DeBerry’s frequency working out with the team. When asked about whether the sophomore forward could fill a bigger support role in the post next season, he remarked: “That remains to be seen. I would love to see that happen. Right now, I’m not one way or the other. I am not definitively saying yes I see or no I don’t, I’m just waiting to see more.”

Whether there has been a change I wouldn't know from that. We need to send positive energy this Husky's way and hope for her being a whole player sometime later.

Lots of good stuff in this article. Geno has asked Paige to stay on campus this summer and get stronger. Dorka is doing great and he expects her to go 5 or 6 in the WNBA draft.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
More than just Amari feedback.

Geno is super excited about Dorka and also wants Paige to work through the summer to get to a perak level of physicality so she can handle physically how hard she plays on both sides of the court.

I am happy he is putting that into her head. I think it is imperative she can physically punish players and look for contact rather than just elegantly avoid it. Draw fouls with decisive drives, post up on smaller players. They will throw the kitchen sink at her in the WNBA.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
More than just Amari feedback.

Geno is super excited about Dorka and also wants Paige to work through the summer to get to a perak level of physicality so she can handle physically how hard she plays on both sides of the court.

I am happy he is putting that into her head. I think it is imperative she can physically punish players and look for contact rather than just elegantly avoid it. Draw fouls with decisive drives, post up on smaller players. I see
I see you don't read footnotes. ;)

Reaction Score
Read the article, but a bit confused by Geno's quote about Amari coming & going. Is she injured in some way? That's kinda what it sounds like to me, but he's very vague. Not sure if I missed any news elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Read the article, but a bit confused by Geno's quote about Amari coming & going. Is she injured in some way? That's kinda what it sounds like to me, but he's very vague. Not sure if I missed any news elsewhere.
I believe he was talking about attention and effort, but I could be wrong. He has mentioned those areas before about her.

Reaction Score
I'm got the same interpretation. I haven't seen anything about her dealing with anything either.

I believe he was talking about attention and effort, but I could be wrong. He has mentioned those areas before about her.
I think that's in regards the "remains to be seen" quotation that was referenced.

I think the quote @Millenial23 is referring to is in reference to this quote: "“Some days she’s good to go, some days she’s not,” Auriemma said of DeBerry’s frequency working out with the team."

Reaction Score
I took his comments to mean effort. It would be quite the departure for her based on her previous statements about working harder and becoming a better player. If she's not giving it all in practice she obviously won't see much playing time.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno on what he's seeing.

"Auriemma said Amari DeBerry “comes and goes,” and is therefore considered half a player.

“Some days she’s good to go, some days she’s not,” Auriemma said of DeBerry’s frequency working out with the team. When asked about whether the sophomore forward could fill a bigger support role in the post next season, he remarked: “That remains to be seen. I would love to see that happen. Right now, I’m not one way or the other. I am not definitively saying yes I see or no I don’t, I’m just waiting to see more.”

Whether there has been a change I wouldn't know from that. We need to send positive energy this Husky's way and hope for her being a whole player sometime later.

Lots of good stuff in this article. Geno has asked Paige to stay on campus this summer and get stronger. Dorka is doing great and he expects her to go 5 or 6 in the WNBA draft.
This is the "State of the team" report I've been waiting for. The latest on the physical condition and conditioning of each player. Since Amari is not recovering from an injury, I'm a little concerned about her being perceived as a "half a player." I want to be an Amari fan and supporter, but she hasn't done anything yet to give me a reason to think she has improved or that she will, come November.

She's been in the program for 12 months now. More than enough time to learn and adapt. The light will come on for her at some point. I'm hoping it's sooner rather than later. UConn needs all that she can bring to the table this season.

Reaction Score
This is the "State of the team" report I've been waiting for. The latest on the physical condition and conditioning of each player. Since Amari is not recovering from an injury, I'm a little concerned about her being perceived as a "half a player." I want to be an Amari fan and supporter, but she hasn't done anything yet to give me a reason to think she has improved or that she will, come November.

She's been in the program for 12 months now. More than enough time to learn and adapt. The light will come on for her at some point. I'm hoping it's sooner rather than later. UConn needs all that she can bring to the table this season.
The unclear point to me is : when is Geno saying this? Amari has committed to stay at UCONN all summer to work on her game. That is a huge positive and different from how she behaved in year 1. However, if she is only "half there" even this summer, then she will likely remain a " half there" player for her career. And we should expect little from her in 2022-2023. Not the tale we hope she is spinning.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
He is clearly talking about effort, performance etc. What injury allows a player to practice every other day? I suppose if this was deep in the NCAA tournament and she was critical to the team result, a tight rope schedule might make some sense bit not a June getting to know the team session. If a player has the slightest injury now, you shut them down.

Reaction Score
I really hope the effort and "buy-in" issues are not the issue, or if they are that they don't continue. When I was a college athlete I can say that these issues were seen in negative light by the other players whose effort was never questioned.

Reaction Score
Geno never said "every other day".

The topic Geno was on was the health of the team and that only 5 players were released for full practices. When I first read that quote out of context I took it as a lack of consistent effort due to her past but reading the entire exchange it's clear to me that she has some kind of physical limitation that has intermittent manifestations. The fact that we don't know what that is doesn't bother me at all. Ask me again in November.

Reaction Score
He is clearly talking about effort, performance etc. What injury allows a player to practice every other day? I suppose if this was deep in the NCAA tournament and she was critical to the team result, a tight rope schedule might make some sense bit not a June getting to know the team session. If a player has the slightest injury now, you shut them down.

Any chronic injury. Any injury that needs 2 days to recover from the intense workouts they are in. Tuck never knew from day to day how her knee would feel. And no athlete wants to be shut down because of a nagging injury or illness. Remember these are conditioning drills and are meant to stress the body beyond it's max. Even back in my 20's I had a knee I banged but never had treated. If I walked 36 holes in a day then I had to ride the next. Another day and I was "good to go" again.

But then it's June. What the heck:
Did everyone hear the almost imperceptible tremor in Geno's voice when he mentioned Bueckers? He blinked 3 times too which is plain body language that something is amiss with her. :)

Reaction Score
Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Amari.
I have a feeling that the freshman are going to steamroll her.
On another note-roster size troubles me.
Still another note: any recent reports on Aubrey? Gonna need her Ready to roll come November.

Reaction Score
Here’s the deal. Amari has a tremendous upside. But the clock is ticking. Two freshmen will be on campus this season and they are beasts. Amari has to step up or step aside.
EXACTLY!

Reaction Score
Any chronic injury. Any injury that needs 2 days to recover from the intense workouts they are in. Tuck never knew from day to day how her knee would feel. And no athlete wants to be shut down because of a nagging injury or illness. Remember these are conditioning drills and are meant to stress the body beyond it's max. Even back in my 20's I had a knee I banged but never had treated. If I walked 36 holes in a day then I had to ride the next. Another day and I was "good to go" again.

But then it's June. What the heck:
Did everyone hear the almost imperceptible tremor in Geno's voice when he mentioned Bueckers? He blinked 3 times too which is plain body language that something is amiss with her. :)
This reminds me of that State Farm commercial.................."blink if you're under duress". :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I took Geno's statement on Amari to mean that she gets dinged periodically in practice and needs to rest to recover. I didn't take it to mean effort, but he has said that she's not where she could be. I hope she does stay on campus over the summer and work out. Geno wants Paige to stay on campus, so Amari could be her workout partner. Paige should be a good influence on Amari.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Geno never said "every other day".

The topic Geno was on was the health of the team and that only 5 players were released for full practices. When I first read that quote out of context I took it as a lack of consistent effort due to her past but reading the entire exchange it's clear to me that she has some kind of physical limitation that has intermittent manifestations. The fact that we don't know what that is doesn't bother me at all. Ask me again in November.
I don't know if it's clear or not, but that was my take which I stated a day or two ago and I'll stick to it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Here’s the deal. Amari has a tremendous upside. But the clock is ticking. Two freshmen will be on campus this season and they are beasts. Amari has to step up or step aside.
OD, I couldn't have said it better myself. ;) Patterson and Brady didn't sign on to be cheerleaders their freshman year. They expect to play, and we expect them to play significant minutes all season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom