Amari appreciation thread | The Boneyard

Amari appreciation thread

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I really respect how Amari was incrementally improving her game this season. But when the team needed her most, she took a big step forward. It seems to me she stopped thinking so much and just started playing. I especially appreciate her doing what she did with a sore calf - Amari left it all on the court.

Don’t stop Amari! We love seeing you succeed!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I agree that she is playing better than I had thought possible a few weeks ago. However, something is still amiss when she plays two games in which she gets very significant minutes and (at 6-5) has a total of one rebound for the two games. I suppose that is the next thing for her to work on.

Reaction Score
She had 4 rebounds against MD, and 2 monster blocks. Plus, I think she intimidated a few players, including Miller and Sellers. And she dove for the ball a couple times. This is a different Amari than we saw all last season. If a big hits the deck, she gets my respect.

sun

Reaction Score
She made some nice passes that contributed to scores either directly or indirectly.
The box score shows 2 assists, zero TO's.
She facilitated.
Plus she got floored in a collision with Ayanna & seemed shaken up by it.

Reaction Score
I hope when Dorka gets back she doesn't get buried again. Some teaching minutes each game will help her. And Yeah when she blocked that shot and held onto the ball and kind of growled at the Maryland player. I think she could be a future badass contender.

Reaction Score
I hope when Dorka gets back she doesn't get buried again. Some teaching minutes each game will help her. And Yeah when she blocked that shot and held onto the ball and kind of growled at the Maryland player. I think she could be a future badass contender.
As I have been saying all along, the more she plays the better she will get,,,...,...,so much of this game is about confidence and having a feeling that you deserve to be on that court........,there's no reason she shouldn't average 6-8 points, four rebounds and an assist or two in 12-17 minutes of game time and beyond the numbers, she's giving a teammate a breather......

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Of all the kids on the team I want to find success, I think I root for her the most. Why? Because you can tell how great of a kid and teammate she is.
There’s still room on the front row of her cheering section, but it’s filling up quickly.

Reaction Score
I agree that she is playing better than I had thought possible a few weeks ago. However, something is still amiss when she plays two games in which she gets very significant minutes and (at 6-5) has a total of one rebound for the two games. I suppose that is the next thing for her to work on.
Hope she becomes more aggressive like Ayanna. In fact, if she plays against Ayanna in practice, that should toughen her up, much like how with the men, having to go against Adama Sanogo in practice, has helped Donovan Clingan to develop & flourish.

Reaction Score
She had 4 rebounds against MD, and 2 monster blocks. Plus, I think she intimidated a few players, including Miller and Sellers. And she dove for the ball a couple times. This is a different Amari than we saw all last season. If a big hits the deck, she gets my respect.
Amari has always had my respect! Sing the song, Amari! R E S P E C T !

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
This calls to mind several topics that have been debated. Short or long rotation? Despite what some think Auriemma has actually used both on championship teams. Practice determines playing time? Not always, though not by choice if this principle is disobeyed. Develop the end of the bench in close games? Again, Auriemma has gone both ways depending on how well he could tolerate the product towards the end of games.

The investment into the end of the bench comes at the expense of the game repetitions that nurtures chemistry for the main rotation. How many repetitions for the main rotation are really needed to maximize chemistry? How much investment in players outside that rotation will pay off? There’s no definitive equation, it’s up to the intuition of the coaches. Fortunately, we have the best, but even they won’t have the right intuition 100% of the time.

I love the saying “Play for more than you can afford to lose and you will learn the game.” (Churchill I believe). Sometimes a player will not truly learn the game unless they are placed in a situation that demands that, and that can make all the difference between what happens to Bent or Bettencourt over the course of their UConn careers. For Bettencourt the call came much sooner than anyone would expect.

As much as fans would like to see every contingency under control, like having a full roster of 15 with every position covered by multiple five star options, maintaining perfect chemistry with such a large roster, much of what happens comes down to luck. The team’s unlucky misfortunes may have provided the lucky opportunity to place DeBerry into the situation she needed to “learn the game.”

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
And was playing hurt

Reaction Score
I think it’s fair to say she’s getting more playing time because of the shortage we’re experiencing and the leash is a lot longer for the same reason. When we’re closer to full strength I hope Geno gives her some space to make a mistake or two, when he does decide to put her out there, so she can continue to improve. I think we’ll need her down the line.

Reaction Score
I really respect how Amari was incrementally improving her game this season. But when the team needed her most, she took a big step forward. It seems to me she stopped thinking so much and just started playing. I especially appreciate her doing what she did with a sore calf - Amari left it all on the court.

This was the most satisfying play of the game by far.

Reaction Score
Again, Amari is a different kind of big. She will learn the more general post play by obtaining pt. I think her and Dorka may work well together. In spite of all, we will need her against teams like South Carolina and Stanford. We need her to be aggressive, and it appears that can be developed in playing time. Geno may need a new formula wih her. Go Huskies

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I glad you started this thread Nan. Nice to see so many POSITIVE and supportive comments about Amari. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom