Alysa's email to Randy Smith on his Geno column

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
And Randy Smith's reponse

Nicely done as well, Randy.

I could not resist sending Mr. Smith the following email with regard to the name he applies the UConn Huskies (the email was entitled "For the Record):

In your recent retraction of your column about Geno Auriemma and his comments with regard to Pat Summitt, you refer to the UConn women's basketball team as the "Lady Huskies." Well, the University of Tennessee women's team may well be the "Lady Vols," something I consider sexist as the men's team is not known as the "Gentlemen Vols" or something like that, but please note that the UConn women's basketball team is known as the Huskies, just like the men's team. The term "Lady" is not part of their team title.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Kudos to Smith for having the stones to admit publicly that he made a mistake.

Sort of a begrudging admission:

Smith: "To me, those words, just as they were presented in the article, still sound a bit arrogant."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thought his response was very good - including the admission that he did not follow his journalistic responsibility of fully researching what he wrote (not a small admission for anyone.)
And as for Alysa - very well written.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I sent an email as well, and thanked him for the gracious apology.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
sounds like he got a wopping? wopping? whooping? wooping?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Randy's response was fine but Ally's was a wonderful piece of writing and one of the reasons I have come to truly enjoy her work. It is always intelligent, passionate, humorous, and above all articulate. I expect that we are a long way from the end of her journey as a writer. I look forward to enjoying every minute of the trip.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I could not resist sending Mr. Smith the following email with regard to the name he applies the UConn Huskies (the email was entitled "For the Record):

In your recent retraction of your column about Geno Auriemma and his comments with regard to Pat Summitt, you refer to the UConn women's basketball team as the "Lady Huskies." Well, the University of Tennessee women's team may well be the "Lady Vols," something I consider sexist as the men's team is not known as the "Gentlemen Vols" or something like that, but please note that the UConn women's basketball team is known as the Huskies, just like the men's team. The term "Lady" is not part of their team title.

43 years a sports journalist and doesn't know, or care enough to find out, the name of the team he is discussing. Jerk. Here's my e-mail to him:

Thanks for the apology, but you are still stumbling…

How does a 43-year sports reporting veteran, especially one who seems to pride himself on being a thorough investigator (except just once, of course) not know the team name of the women’s basketball team that has dominated the sport for almost half of his career.

The University of Connecticut women’s basketball team is called the UConn Huskies. There is no “Lady” in our name, unlike those quaint throw backs to a by-gone, and somewhat sexist era proudly represented by the Bulldogs, Techsters , Vols, etc. Are you one of those fringe followers of the woman’s game who thinks that every team is called the “Lady Something-or-Others”?

Good luck to the Lady and Gentleman Vols next season (that is what the men’s team is called, right?), and see you in Nashville if your Ladies get to join us there.

Reaction Score
Imagine the piece he will write when Geno gets #9 on his home turf!

Reaction Score

I was hoping someone would say this to him. Fingernails on blackboard.

Reaction Score
sounds like he got a wopping? wopping? whooping? wooping?
One of my Southern colleagues referred to print that was askew (from a crummy copier, for instance) as "wopperjogged." Probably a variation of what Smith says is a Southernism. But I've used it ever since.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

I was hoping someone would say this to him. Fingernails on blackboard.

Well Mr. Smith has a bit of an excuse being he's from Lady Vol country. As I listened to WTIC radio's report on the Parade yesterday the reported opened with the "Lady Huskies".
If our own flagship station can allow it to happen, I guess we need to at least understand when an outsider does it (and of course e-mail him informing him of his error!)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That was the intern from U of TN who made that mistake.

Reaction Score
Elegantly done, Alysa...and you too, Randy...it does get tiring trying to convince folks that there are a few gentle people in the South...

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
And one thing to add about Alysa's piece is that she actually apologizes for Geno's mouth and the mistakes it's made. Naturally, we try to keep our mistakes under control, but anyone who is afraid to make mistakes cannot achieve greatness nor will they learn how to do things well or learn how to respond when everything goes batpoop on us. Geno has never been afraid to make mistakes in the quest to to get the truth and make things better, and that's a great tribute to him and his desire to help push for a higher-level game.

On the other hand, I am well aware that daughters can feel like strangling their dad when he says something smart-alecky that makes their dad look like more like their noogie-bait kid brother.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Finally had a chance to read both. Great letter by Alyssa and very nice response by Randy Smith. I'm guessing now he's on the dart board for Tennessee fans as well. Any time you see an article favorable to Geno (especially when it's from ESPN, either in writing or during games by their commentators), that person suddenly becomes a lightning rod for disdain and disgust by their fans.

Still, I give him credit for doing some research AFTER he posted his original blog/article taking the quotes out of context. Wouldn't it have been nice, though, if he'd done his homework in the first place? It wasn't hard to find the entire quote.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I wrote to Smith on the 11th, encouraging him to listen to the entire interview and reconsider his stance. I didn't hear back but am glad that he had the integrity to do so and admit he was in error. With so many intentional false claims spread on the internet that in my opinion pollute our national dialogue, it's refreshing someone was willing to acknowledge his mistake.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I wrote to Smith on the 11th, encouraging him to listen to the entire interview and reconsider his stance. I didn't hear back but am glad that he had the integrity to do so and admit he was in error. With so many intentional false claims spread on the internet that in my opinion pollute our national dialogue, it's refreshing someone was willing to acknowledge his mistake.

I say that every day when I read about players from "other" teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog