Alright baseball season is still alive...... | The Boneyard

Alright baseball season is still alive......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And what a perfect fit for the Sox......adds to the flavor!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/ben_reiter/08/23/pierzynski/index.html

But the Sox fans who hated the pr**k will now love him tot he bitter end.......hey truth is he's a good sign for baseball reasons....the guys numbers are solid year in-year out. I'm guessing his teammates aren't in love withh im since he can't sit still but he'll be a hero in no time in Boston! Honestly I wanted him last year behind the plate for the Yanks!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
We will love him to the bitter end?

Reaction Score
I wonder if the Yanks will now trade Gardner? He would bring some good value back.

Reaction Score
Definitely not happy with the signing of A.J. Pierzynski. He has a reputation as a poor clubhouse guy and he doesn't fit the mold of working the pitchers at all. He had a grand total of 11 walks in 529 plate appearances. I hope they are planning to use him for trade bait. I am not surprised by the departure of Jacoby but I am surprised by where he ended up. I think there is a good chance the Stephen Drew ends up a Yankee too and I expect that the Sox will sign Napoli.

Reaction Score
Stephen Drew is one thing Ellsbury another.........baseball is a screwed up huh? I mean Ruth was along time ago, Sparky Lyle was a trade for Danny Cater,, Clemens went to the Jays first and Boggs, well that was something. But this one is strange and never saw it coming.......

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Stephen Drew is one thing Ellsbury another.........baseball is a screwed up huh? I mean Ruth was along time ago, Sparky Lyle was a trade for Danny Cater,, Clemens went to the Jays first and Boggs, well that was something. But this one is strange and never saw it coming.......
You forgot Mike Stanley and Elston Howard were on that I-95 shuttle at one point too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Definitely not happy with the signing of A.J. Pierzynski. He has a reputation as a poor clubhouse guy and he doesn't fit the mold of working the pitchers at all.

I don't give a fig about that reputation stuff. Can the guy still hit? That's all that matters here. I just read a funny quote from Ozzie to the effect of "Player from other teams hate him, but the guys who play with him hate him a little less."

Husky25

Reaction Score
I don't give a fig about that reputation stuff. Can the guy still hit? That's all that matters here. I just read a funny quote from Ozzie to the effect of "Player from other teams hate him, but the guys who play with him hate him a little less."
Wasn't Gomes hated too? Last I checked, that worked out okay. I'm not a fan of the signing but I get why they did it. Word is that Pierzynski calls a good game. I would have liked the return of Salty, but I guess they feel it would keep the young kids down on the farm for two more years after next. I think it would have worked out perfectly. Dave Ross leaves after next year and one of the young kids backs up Salty before taking over full time. Win-Win. The Sox feel different. Cest La Vie. It's not my money...

Reaction Score
Wasn't Gomes hated too? Last I checked, that worked out okay. I'm not a fan of the signing but I get why they did it. Word is that Pierzynski calls a good game. I would have liked the return of Salty, but I guess they feel it would keep the young kids down on the farm for two more years after next. I think it would have worked out perfectly. Dave Ross leaves after next year and one of the young kids backs up Salty before taking over full time. Win-Win. The Sox feel different. Cest La Vie. It's not my money...
Salty did a lot to improve himself. He was able to keep from chasing pitches out of the strike zone and he could hit the ball out of the Grand Canyon. However, he was weak defensively. He had strong but inaccurate arm which showed itself in the post-season. He was a little upset with Farrell for being replaced by Ross but I think it was the right move. If he would have been willing to sign a two year deal with the Sox, I would have been happy to see him return. Anything else would get in the way of the prospects. Butler and Vasquez may be ready by the end of 2014 and certainly in 2015. The best of them all, Blake Swihart will be ready soon after that. In three years, catching and pitching will be our strength.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Salty did a lot to improve himself. He was able to keep from chasing pitches out of the strike zone and he could hit the ball out of the Grand Canyon. However, he was weak defensively. He had strong but inaccurate arm which showed itself in the post-season. He was a little upset with Farrell for being replaced by Ross but I think it was the right move. If he would have been willing to sign a two year deal with the Sox, I would have been happy to see him return. Anything else would get in the way of the prospects. Butler and Vasquez may be ready by the end of 2014 and certainly in 2015. The best of them all, Blake Swihart will be ready soon after that. In three years, catching and pitching will be our strength.
Swihart ended last season in high A, if I recall. This year will go a looooong way in evaluating his development. AA is the weed out level. OTOH catchers typically take a little time to develop. I went to quite a few New Britain Rock Cats games last year, just because it is baseball (My wife and the my best friend's wife gave us vouchers for Father's day). I will be angling for the days Portland comes to town for sure.

Reaction Score
A.J. is poison in the clubhouse. He's a pri*k who constantly stirs up . Brian Sabean took his chances with him in S.F. and that was a complete fiasco. I'm sure that the Rangers are glad to get rid of him. I'm just happy that the Yankees passed on him last season.

Reaction Score
Definitely not happy with the signing of A.J. Pierzynski. He has a reputation as a poor clubhouse guy and he doesn't fit the mold of working the pitchers at all. He had a grand total of 11 walks in 529 plate appearances. I hope they are planning to use him for trade bait. I am not surprised by the departure of Jacoby but I am surprised by where he ended up. I think there is a good chance the Stephen Drew ends up a Yankee too and I expect that the Sox will sign Napoli.
I don't like the AJ signing either. The Sox won by replacing problem players with solid leaders and now they added one of the most disliked players in baseball. Poppi and Pedroia better keep AJ in line or I can see some of the old problems resurfacing. I wouldn't mind seeing Drew go. Bogarts has to play SS to see if he can handle it. He doesn't have to be a gold glove, with his bat average will do. I'm a big promoter of Middlebrooks. He went through some struggles but he has the talent to provide much needed power from the right side. He could hit .275 with 20-25 HRs once he manages the strike zone better.
Ellsbury is a big loss but the market demanded that the Sox sign him to a term longer than their policy. The Yankees are getting a great player but none of these guys are worth the money and terms they get.

Reaction Score
I don't like the AJ signing either. The Sox won by replacing problem players with solid leaders and now they added one of the most disliked players in baseball. Poppi and Pedroia better keep AJ in line or I can see some of the old problems resurfacing. I wouldn't mind seeing Drew go. Bogarts has to play SS to see if he can handle it. He doesn't have to be a gold glove, with his bat average will do. I'm a big promoter of Middlebrooks. He went through some struggles but he has the talent to provide much needed power from the right side. He could hit .275 with 20-25 HRs once he manages the strike zone better.
Ellsbury is a big loss but the market demanded that the Sox sign him to a term longer than their policy. The Yankees are getting a great player but none of these guys are worth the money and terms they get.
I am OK with the players we have. I agree that there is a good chance that Middlebrooks develops into a good hitter and solid fielder and there is no way that Bogaerts is not going to play. An intriguing name out there is Corey Hart. He missed all of last year with and injury but is a good power hitting right fielder. If the Sox want insurance for Bradley, he is a free agent. I think he would have been a better option for the Yankees. He would hit 40 HR's in Yankee Stadium and been a lot cheaper that Jacoby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom