All-Time "Best" UConn Team | The Boneyard

All-Time "Best" UConn Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
A friend of mine and I were going back and forth about our respective programs' "all-time starting lineups." So I came up with a starting lineup and a bench squad for our beloved Huskies.

Two notes:

1. This is based on COLLEGE, not NBA, performance. Basically, I'm picking guys based on their peak at UConn. Otherwise, Andre Drummond is starting on this team and grabbing 20 rebounds a game for us.

2. I'm excluding anyone I never saw play (e.g., Earl Kelley '86 (I'm sure I saw him but I don't remember), Corny Thompson '82, Toby Hanson '77, Wes Bialosuknia '67, Toby Kimball '65, Art Quimby '55, and Red Sox 1B Walt Dropo '47).

Starters:
C Emeka Okafor '04 - 17.6 ppg 11.5 rpg 4.1 bpg
PF Donyell Marshall '94 - 25.1 ppg 8.9 rpg 3.2 bpg
SF Richard Hamilton '99 - 21.5 ppg 4.8 rpg 2.7 apg
SG Ray Allen '96 - 23.4 ppg 6.5 rpg 3.3 apg 115 3's
PG Kemba Walker '11 - 23.5 ppg 5.4 rpg 4.5 apg 1.9 spg 75 3's

Bench:
C Hasheem Thabeet '09 - 13.6 ppg 10.8 rpg 4.2 bpg
PF Cliff Robinson '90 - 20.0 ppg 7.4 rpg
SF Caron Butler '02 - 20.3 ppg 7.5 rpg 3.0 apg 2.1 spg
SG Ben Gordon '04 - 18.5 ppg 4.7 rpg 4.5 apg 1.4 spg 104 3's
PG Shabazz Napier '14 - 17.9 ppg 6.1 rpg 5.5 apg 1.8 spg

Honorable Mentions below. A lot of PGs. I do wonder -- if we're really considering chemistry -- whether Marcus Williams would be the best option for the PG1 spot, since he was the best pure distributor in school history. But Kemba was just crazy as a junior; I can't take him out. And Napier is having one of the best individual seasons in UConn history. Kid is killing it. Chris Smith was awesome; it's tough to leave him out. Sheffer had an amazing final season, too. But I can't put either ahead of Gordon. Note that every non-Israeli on this list played in the NBA.

In no particular order:
Charlie Villanueva '05 - 13.6 ppg 8.1 rpg 1.8 bpg
Scott Burrell '93 - 16.1 ppg 6.0 rpg 2.1 apg
Nadav Henefeld '90 - 11.6 ppg 5.6 rpg 2.9 apg 3.7 spg
Marcus Williams '06 - 12.3 ppg 8.6 apg
Chris Smith '92 - 21.2 ppg 3.7 apg 81 3's
Rudy Gay '06 - 15.2 ppg 6.4 rpg 1.8 spg 1.6 bpg
AJ Price '09 - 14.7 ppg 4.7 apg 82 3's
Doron Sheffer '96 - 16.0 ppg 4.8 rpg 6.1 apg 1.9 spg 95 3's
Khalid El-Amin '00 - 16.0 ppg 5.2 apg 1.7 spg
Jeff Adrien '09 - 13.6 ppg 9.9 rpg 1.2 bpg
Hilton Armstrong '06 - 9.7 ppg 6.6 rpg 3.1 bpg

Thoughts?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Uncle Cliffy, they always forget Uncle Cliffy.

Or, they forget to read the entire post.

Reaction Score
Pretty good list. No way Cliff belongs as 2nd team on that list if we're talking strictly college. He put up decent numbers but he never played in an ncaa tournament game and I don't believe he ever lead team any higher than 8th in the Big East. Every honorable mentions team of UConn has to include Voskuhl, Sellers, Boone, Anderson, Freeman, Lamb, Knight, George and I'm sure many others. I would either cheat and put Caron as the 2nd team PF (position he played in college) or Freeman or Adrien. Also for now, I would keep El-Amin as the 2nd team PG.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I want to see Lyman in the honorable mention group. But then, I love defense.

And I know it's heresy, but I would knock Donyell down to the 2nd team and put Jeff on the first team. I know I'm hurting myself, but I still can't forgive those two free throws.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
If you're talking just college, that starting five to me is inarguable.

Reaction Score
For those of you that never saw Tony Hanson in person he was something special. He would, in my opinion start on any UConn team in the Calhoun era even up until now. Terrific athlete, massively hard working on both ends of the floor. Wore the blue and white with distinction.

Reaction Score
Nomar, great choices. However, if I am building an actual team to go try and win a championship with, I'd have to start Doron Sheffer. He is the best pure point guard we've ever had. His talents would only be magnified by surrounding him with top notch offensive talent at every other position. His ability to run the break, hit open jumpers, knock down free throws and make great decisions with the ball was unmatched. He would make an all star group an absolute juggernaut.

I would also find a place for Lyman Depriest. Lyman could and did shut down the best player on the opposition whenever asked. He could make life miserable for for guys that were 5'10" and lightning fast and 6'10" bullies. I chose him as my defensive stopper over Ricky because he could guard more people. Lyman was to defense what Rip was to offense. He would be every bit as valuable because he eliminates any one guy from lighting you up.

I'd probably go:

1 Sheffer
2 Chris Smith
3 Rip
4 Caron
5 Emeka

I'm pretty sure this group would destroy just about anything any other program could assemble. I have two scoring point guards with height, a lethal shooter, a multi skilled PF with ferocious rebounding ability who can still take you off the dribble and an offensive presence in the post with legendary shot blocking ability.

I could trade Smith for Ray, but I think Smitty was actually the better college player when I look at it from all angles. I could also trade Caron for Donyell but I didn't because I like Caron's toughness. That is a really tough one though and I hate to slight either one of them.

Reaction Score
Well Coach Freeman was one of our best PFs of all time. He and Jeff are equals to me (college speaking).

Also its hard for me to agree that Thabeet (again college) was our 2nd best center ever. I'll have to think on that one.

Reaction Score
Nomar, great choices. However, if I am building an actual team to go try and win a championship with, I'd have to start Doron Sheffer. He is the best pure point guard we've ever had. His talents would only be magnified by surrounding him with top notch offensive talent at every other position. His ability to run the break, hit open jumpers, knock down free throws and make great decisions with the ball was unmatched. He would make an all star group an absolute juggernaut.

I would also find a place for Lyman Depriest. Lyman could and did shut down the best player on the opposition whenever asked. He could make life miserable for for guys that were 5'10" and lightning fast and 6'10" bullies. I chose him as my defensive stopper over Ricky because he could guard more people. Lyman was to defense what Rip was to offense. He would be every bit as valuable because he eliminates any one guy from lighting you up.

I'd probably go:

1 Sheffer
2 Chris Smith
3 Rip
4 Caron
5 Emeka

I'm pretty sure this group would destroy just about anything any other program could assemble. I have two scoring point guards with height, a lethal shooter, a multi skilled PF with ferocious rebounding ability who can still take you off the dribble and an offensive presence in the post with legendary shot blocking ability.

I could trade Smith for Ray, but I think Smitty was actually the better college player when I look at it from all angles. I could also trade Caron for Donyell but I didn't because I like Caron's toughness. That is a really tough one though and I hate to slight either one of them.
Sorry but it's hard to consider any team that doesn't have Kemba on it.

Reaction Score
Pretty good list. No way Cliff belongs as 2nd team on that list if we're talking strictly college. He put up decent numbers but he never played in an ncaa tournament game and I don't believe he ever lead team any higher than 8th in the Big East. Every honorable mentions team of UConn has to include Voskuhl, Sellers, Boone, Anderson, Freeman, Lamb, Knight, George and I'm sure many others. I would either cheat and put Caron as the 2nd team PF (position he played in college) or Freeman or Adrien. Also for now, I would keep El-Amin as the 2nd team PG.

I love the fact he put Uncle Cliffy on there…….he was a tremendous player on teams that were't half as good as the other guys mentioned. "All time great Huskies" doesn't mention how many NCAA tourney games they play in rather how good they were as Huskies. He was a PF playing center against the leagues best and was a really really underrated player in his career……..Perno held him back from being great immediately by not giving him the minutes he deserved as a frosh, but he helped win a NIT title which was the beginning of Calhoun's successful career……I like him in the Top 10, especially if you don't include those prior to his career………otherwise he drops out to honorable mention with Tony Hanson and others getting in…….

Reaction Score
imno1 said:
Sorry but it's hard to consider any team that doesn't have Kemba on it.

He'd be on it but he wouldn't start. Doron would do more to help the other guys on the court and make them better.

Kemba would be a starter for me if I had to assemble a team and I could only pick one or two greats. Kemba can carry a team but in an all star situation I would take the best distributor. Doron moved the ball up court like no one else and ran a great half court offense when needed.

You could argue replacing Smith with Kemba but Smith was a great player and was bigger than Kemba. Kemba still hasn't come into his own as a pure point, though he is really getting there. If the point is to build the very best "team" some great guys are going to be on the bench. We have a few too many top notch players to make them all starters. Nonetheless, I entirely see your perspective.

Reaction Score
The one must is Donyell Marshall on the 1st team………MUST……..defensive player of the year as well as a scoring machine? All other spots can be argued through and through but as far as a single season as a Husky (and career too) there are few, if any, who did what he did as a junior!!

Reaction Score
I want to see Lyman in the honorable mention group. But then, I love defense.

And I know it's heresy, but I would knock Donyell down to the 2nd team and put Jeff on the first team. I know I'm hurting myself, but I still can't forgive those two free throws.

Donyell was a naional player of the year candidate that year. The choke against the Gators was horrific, but there is no question that was one of the best five seasons an individual Husky ever had.

Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
The one must is Donyell Marshall on the 1st team………MUST……..defensive player of the year as well as a scoring machine? All other spots can be argued through and through but as far as a single season as a Husky (and career too) there are few, if any, who did what he did as a junior!!

This was the biggest struggle for me in the whole process. Caron or Donyell? I went with Caron based more on his end of season performance as he headed out of town. Donyell was awesome all year. Basically, I chose Caron because he wouldn't have missed those free throws against Florida. Sorry Donyell, that the cross you bear. Otherwise, Donyell was amazing.

Reaction Score

Yeah, he really was amazing that year. I have a feeling ppl are judging based on his missed FTs or his NBA career. He probably had the greatest single season of any UConn player. The only other MUST 1st teamers for me would have to be Rip & OK. Even Kemba & Ray can be debated.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He'd be on it but he wouldn't start. Doron would do more to help the other guys on the court and make them better.

Kemba all day long. Doron was awful in the post-season. That's what matters.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
I would think about 5 seconds. Rip scored 20+ in every NCAA game on the way to UConn's 1st title.
Agreed. If Caron had stayed his junior year, perhaps one could make a case - in fact he may have become one of the top 5 players in NCAA history, let alone UConn. But as it stands Rip was the go-to guy on the first UConn team to ever bust through the Elite 8 and bring home the big prize. That alone makes him the only true no-brainer on the list. Maybe you squeeze in Caron at the 4, but I still think I'd put Donyell there.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
RoderickSpode said:
Agreed. If Caron had stayed his junior year, perhaps one could make a case - in fact he may have become one of the top 5 players in NCAA history, let alone UConn. But as it stands Rip was the go-to guy on the first UConn team to ever bust through the Elite 8 and bring home the big prize. That alone makes him the only true no-brainer on the list. Maybe you squeeze in Caron at the 4, but I still think I'd put Donyell there.

I think that emeka is a no brainer at center too, compared to the other choices at the 5.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
I think that emeka is a no brainer at center too, compared to the other choices at the 5.
Agreed. I guess the center position is such a no-brainer I forgot to mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom