Alexa comes back from the Dark Side | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alexa comes back from the Dark Side

Reaction Score
Yup-All they did, cough Voepel cough was double down that Stanford lost the game. Like, she has given zero credit to UCONN at all, nor has anyone at all, really. The narrative has been framed that Stanford blew it.
Not putting words in your mouth, but I think what you said is an example of how they changed the way they talked about a game like this because it was UConn. No one favored Uconn and TYPICALLY in those scenarios, the media would write about it as a shocker. How the underdog with the absolutely Rollercoaster season found a way to win, etc. There really wasn't much of that at all - it was more about how Stanford lost. it was noticeable IMO.

Reaction Score
The pressure is on SC to win being the favorite, having been #1 all year and having already beaten UCONN handily this year. Even pre-season, I don't think most predictors (fans or otherwise)...saw UCONN making its 14th final four let alone playing for the championship. Dawn must know that the press will be brutal if SC loses. They will question whether SC would have won last year considering this year's increased experience, bringing in talent like Cardoso, and having the national player of the year. If Geno loses...what can the press say? He's 11-1? I mean they all have been predicting he wouldn't make it this far and that if Boston wears the right colored braids, then it's a wrap. lol

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I agree that most of the pressure will be on SCAR, whereas UConn will have a quasi-home court advantage since Bueckers is from Minnesota. That said, don't forget that half of the firepower for UConn is in their senior season - this is Squeaks, ONO, and Westbrook's last chance for a championship, so I wouldn't be surprised if nerves affect both teams.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not surprised at Voeple and the others predictions. Alexa knows UConn a lot better than the others.

Antonelli is an NC State homer. I get it.

Sc is the favorite as they should be.

I still believe that Karma is in play. We have been here before - Target Center. Jamelle was a starting forward. Paige is home. April 3rd, 1995 was the first UConn championship.

Close one. UConn brings home #12.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Voepel has had a very smug tone about her for UCONN for a while now. She clearly doesn't like us.
She seems a bit turned off by the degree to which Geno has portrayed UConn's run to the title game as "miraculous." And I tend to agree with her insofar as he has three of the four #1 recruits, Paige is back and healthy, Fudd is coming into her own, etc. Looking back to early November, nothing about this outcome feels miraculous when SCAR was pre-season #1 and UConn pre-season #2.

What I think Voepel under-appreciates is the struggle to get here, and it's been a struggle Geno hasn't experienced in well over decade, so it probably, legitimately, feels miraculous to him given some reasonably expected outcomes in mid-Jan. when UConn was losing to teams it should clearly beat (Georgia Tech, Oregon) even without Bueckers. Even many BYers seemed to have lost faith just two months ago.

As with most things, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree that most of the pressure will be on SCAR, whereas UConn will have a quasi-home court advantage since Bueckers is from Minnesota. That said, don't forget that half of the firepower for UConn is in their senior season - this is Squeaks, ONO, and Westbrook's last chance for a championship, so I wouldn't be surprised if nerves affect both teams.
:rolleyes: Get out of here with that stuff. Unless Paige has 10,000 people in her family, maybe it’s the UConn fans that travel cheering for the team.

Holy carp, the excuses start already

Reaction Score
Not surprised at Voeple and the others predictions. Alexa knows UConn a lot better than the others.

Antonelli is an NC State homer. I get it.

Sc is the favorite as they should be.

I still believe that Karma is in play. We have been here before - Target Center. Jamelle was a starting forward. Paige is home. April 3rd, 1995 was the first UConn championship.

Close one. UConn brings home #12.
This season and the build-up to this game couldn't have been more beautifully scripted. Here's to hoping that the final chapter is the classic happy ending!

Reaction Score
:p. I can't believe a fairly knowledgeable BB fan actually came out with something this lame.

Reaction Score
When a team overcomes adversity, it makes them tougher.
A lot of our FF teams have been undefeated going into the FF and the first bit of trouble is not something those teams were used to, and lost.
This team, where it gets very little credit for the adversity that they have faced , but overcame it and WON.

Yes! These young women have been through the fire this season. Mental toughness matters when you're going for a championship. They're not going to back off or back down no matter what South Carolina throws at them.

Reaction Score
She seems a bit turned off by the degree to which Geno has portrayed UConn's run to the title game as "miraculous." And I tend to agree with her insofar as he has three of the four #1 recruits, Paige is back and healthy, Fudd is coming into her own, etc. Looking back to early November, nothing about this outcome feels miraculous when SCAR was pre-season #1 and UConn pre-season #2.

What I think Voepel under-appreciates is the struggle to get here, and it's been a struggle Geno hasn't experienced in well over decade, so it probably, legitimately, feels miraculous to him given some reasonably expected outcomes in mid-Jan. when UConn was losing to teams it should clearly beat (Georgia Tech, Oregon) even without Bueckers. Even many BYers seemed to have lost faith just two months ago.

As with most things, the truth is somewhere in the middle.
I agree with you. And as you clearly stated in paragraph one above, both SC and UConn were pre-season #1 and #2, so I believe it's only fitting that they're both in the championship game. SC's Boston has had a stallion-like kind of year, mainly because she did all the off-season things to improve her growth and maturity, but I like our chances. And since that November game, both teams have improved, but while SC sailed along smoothly (for the most part), UConn endured a stretch of long-suffering events mid season. So the experience, resilience and perseverance learnt from those difficulties is why they're in this game today. I'm hoping for a great game, with a UConn W. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I was scared that the hole in our resume will be filled after this game. This column gives me some hope that space will continue to be empty.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
:rolleyes: Get out of here with that stuff. Unless Paige has 10,000 people in her family, maybe it’s the UConn fans that travel cheering for the team.

Holy carp, the excuses start already
Respectfully, lots of people have been saying this. E.g.:

Paige Bueckers Has Hometown Advantage At Final Four In Minneapolis

Paige Bueckers’ title game in Minnesota was canceled in 2020. She hopes to lead UConn to a championship this time around:
The UConn fan base has been the loudest and the building has been pro-Huskies, largely because of Bueckers area ties. She has many friends and family members in attendance at the Final Four, including her father, Bob, and mother, Amy.

And it's not an excuse at all - Stanford benefited from a similar "home town" vibe in Spokane given that the Hulls also grew up locally, and so that crowd was also tangibly pro-Stanford:

Texas is aware of Stanford’s “home-court advantage” in Spokane, and is ready for it.

To be clear: I'm rooting for UConn tonight, even though they dashed our championship hopes. There's a reason I hang out here rather than on whatever site SCAR fans run!!

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
A lot of people want to discount UConn’s success by claiming the Huskies have some sort of advantage. We fans have been hearing it for 20 years now - it just gets old
Makes sense that there's sensitivity there - many folks look for reasons to discount UConn's success, including a lot of Stanford fans. I just like to call 'em like I see 'em; at the end of the day, whoever won deserves to have won, IMHO. No asterisks, no "buts." (And no mythical national championships if you didn't actually win one!)

Reaction Score

Paige Bueckers Has Hometown Advantage At Final Four In Minneapolis

Paige Bueckers’ title game in Minnesota was canceled in 2020. She hopes to lead UConn to a championship this time around:

And it's not an excuse at all - Stanford benefited from a similar "home town" vibe in Spokane given that the Hulls also grew up locally, and so that crowd was also tangibly pro-Stanford:

To be clear: I'm rooting for UConn tonight, even though they dashed our championship hopes. There's a reason I hang out hear rather than on whatever site SCAR fans run!!
Those "lots of people" are nothing but media throwing out fluff stuff for clicks on their website or to fill their 5 minutes of air time. And it's nice for the kids to take pictures before and after games. But believe me, all those screaming fans do nothing to help you make jumpshots, play defense, or stay out of foul trouble. It's just a noisy island out on that floor. ;)

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score

Dewey Beats Truman!!!

As seen on TV

One size fits all!

Or, as I seem to remember from a Firesign Theater LP, c. 1969,
“Roll up your sleeve and bend over. This won't hurt.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let’s just say this…No one picked the Huskies to beat TN in 1995 either, even though the team was undefeated.

Reaction Score
NC State was the #1 team in the Bridgeport region. Until proved otherwise. UCONN proved otherwise
Stanford was the #1 team in the Spokane region and the defending National Champions until proved otherwise. UCONN proved otherwise.
South Carolina has been the #1 ranked team in the nation from the beginning of the season and defeated UCONN in November.
Guess they have to be the favorite in tonight’s game….until someone proves otherwise.
See where I’m going with this?
GO HUSKIES!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom