Alex Officially Transferring | The Boneyard

Alex Officially Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He gets to play immediately if UConn has a post-season ban next year ... but what if the appeal goes through? Does he have to sit a year?
According to the article, he would have to sit out a year, but he will transfer regardless. I guess he just has his mind made up that it's time to leave UConn.

Reaction Score
After all that went on this season this really shouldnt come as a surprise

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
So he's going to risk sitting out a year if the ban appeal goes through?

Best of luck to Alex ... always liked the kid.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You know, I held off on all the discussion because I'm not surprised he's doing it. But to have his dad go to the media- to not have either the decency to let the school announce it, or have the guts to go to the media yourself, tells us everything we need to know.

The Oriakhis think they know more about basketball than Jim Cahoun. Good luck with that.

Reaction Score
I will remember the national championship but I will also remember how he backed down at the first sign of adversity

Reaction Score
Good luck Alex, thanks for the Championship last year.

Reaction Score
Best of luck, at least the announcement and stated reason was done in a respectable way.

Interesting wrinkle that upon transfer its in Oriakhi's best interest for UConn NOT to be eligible next year. I do not know how APR is calculated. But as described in the article, IF the NCAA committee elects to shift the data to include 2011-12, then could Alex's basketball eligibility in 2012-13 be helped by Alex's contributing negatively to UConn's APR?

I.e. could he take some incompletes, negatively impact UConn by failing to proceed toward a degree yet still transfer albeit with fewer credits?

zls44

Reaction Score
I will remember the national championship but I will also remember how he backed down at the first sign of adversity

No, that's just you being a hater.

If he was leaving because of the NCAA ban, not an issue at all. But that isn't it. Mentally, he isn't tough enough. He played a key role in a title, but once things turned a bit stormy he ran and hid. Keep running from your problems, Alex.

Reaction Score
I wish him luck. I think the fact he is transferring now instead of waiting to see if UCONN becomes eligible for postseason play next year speaks volumes. I think he will regret it down the road because the abuse Calhoun has given him would only make him tougher, a quality he needs to develop. However, people need to do what they need to do.

Reaction Score
mrsoftee1.jpg

Reaction Score
zls is right. . . .AO Sr. must have good contacts in Indy to know the tourney ban is a lock for next year. . . AO Jr. leaves w/a ring and opens a schollie for someone who wants to be here. Hopefully AO won't have regrets in 10 years looking back and works hard this off season to prove all the folks who have doubts here wrong.

zls44

Reaction Score
Hey, I hope AO works hard and proves everyone wrong. It doesn't benefit anyone if this doesn't work out.

I just doubt that it will be anything other than a gigantic waste of his time.

Reaction Score
Does Drummond take a schollie if he stays (AO's or maybe JL)?

Reaction Score
This kid committed to Uconn as a sophomore in high school. It is really, really sad news that he won't be finishing his career at Uconn.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
"Alex will transfer because of the NCAA tournament next year," Alex Oriakhi Sr. said.
If UConn remains banned from the 2013 NCAA tournament because of its subpar academic progress rating, Oriakhi will not be forced to sit out a year. The NCAA grants waivers for student-athletes with remaining eligibility concurrent to the postseason ineligibility of their previous institution.

not really surprising but a tad disappointing. if the ban remains in effect, i wonder if Omar Calhoun will rethink. also, if Lamb and Drummond go pro, we'll be looking at a pretty down year. we probably wouldn't make the NCAA's anyway...

Reaction Score
Let's face it, AO & Jamal Coombs-McDaniel were never JC type players. Best scenario for all is for UConn to be allowed to play in the 2013 tourney. AO to transfer to a school where he, and his new coach see eye to eye. Finally, AO uses a transfer year to gain lower body strength, which he lacks, to get ready for the 2014 seasson.

zls44

Reaction Score
Apparently, Alex and his dad didn't even tell his mother! Or UConn!

These are some fun folks!

Reaction Score
Thx for everything AO. I really hope this is the right move for you and you become what you are capable of.

Reaction Score
I think AO loses on this one more than UConn does.

Best wishes to him though, will never forget his performance in the national title game

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Kind of puts a spoil on the Tilton thing ...

Leaves a gaping hole at the 4/5 position if Drummond also leaves to go pro. Bradley and Wolf battling it out next year ... bring me the popcorn!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom