2022 Recruiting: - Alex Karaban Unoffical Visit (Again) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Alex Karaban Unoffical Visit (Again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's funny with all the Giffey comparisons in this thread because his game actually reminds me a lot more of another player on the '14 NC team...DeAndre Daniels.

Smooth, multidimensional scorer who looks like he has the tools to take over a game. Doesn't strike me as a wing guy who will be the #1 option like Bouk, Lamb, etc but a solid scoring option. DD was so lanky and great timing on blocks so defensively he's probably not a great comparison.

Let's call it a draw and say he's offensively like DD and defensively he can be Giffey.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry to derail the Giffey thread but Karaban plays tomorrow

Sorry to derail the Giffey thread also cause Karaban is playing in it, but is there any way to watch this? Tried to find something but to no avail.

Last edited:

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
It’s possible to love Niels and recognize he was a vital part of the 2014 title (and 2011 to a lesser extent) while at the same time speculating Karaban can bring more to the table. It’s not a slight to Niels, just excitement for AK’s potential. Let’s hope he becomes a Husky.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I double checked my win shares numbers for the 2014 title team. I'd say Boat was the second best player on the team, followed by Daniels, and then Giffey a close 4th. I'd consider a role player to be more like a Phil Nolan in the context of this team, but it's really all semantics.

Napier 7.9
Boat 4.5
Daniels 4.4
Giffey 4.4
Brimah 2.5

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We don't win the NT without Giffey. He was huge. His defense was stellar too.

Sure. No doubt. One of my favorite players. And we don't win without the guys on that team that were better than him. I don't get the point. Karaban is likely an impact early in his career. Niels was not. Then again, who knows? Scott Hazelton was McDonalds AA. In any event, I hope he comes here. We can certainly use a wing with his skills.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Niels as a senior seemed to always hit the dagger shot or hit a 3 to get us back into the game. One of my favorite players of all time. IMO he was the 2nd most important player on that 2014 team.
Dead on about the shot to start runs. Bazz or Boat would hit the “big shot” but Niels had a knack for hitting shots when we were down 7 to cut it to 4, etc.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what team he's playing for here? Or the others mentioned in the tweet as well (Wilcher, Filipowski, Wagner, Cruz)/other targets not mentioned?

This will bring you to the full roster.

Expressions Elite EYBL (MA)
  • Taylor Bol Bowen. 0 · W.
  • Reed Bailey. 1 · F.
  • Chandler Wilson jr. 2 · G.
  • Jabari Nurse. 3 · G.
  • Kyle Hicks. 4 · G.
  • Dasonte Bowen. 5 · G.
  • Keyshawn Mitchell. 10 · F.
  • Alex Karaban. 21 · SF.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, he was one of the four core players who contributed in several different areas to the team's success. Big difference from a "role" player who is put on the court to perform a specific role.
We're probably going to agree to disagree based on definition, but objectively, he took 16% of the team's shots when he was on the court and had a usage rate less than 15%, 6th and 7th on the team, respectively. KenPom defines roles based on usage, and has that <15% usage in the "limited role" category, which is actually one category below offensive role player. There's 5 guys on the court and he took shots/used possessions 1/6 of the time.

He had a very defined role: floor spacer/3 point shooter and 3/4 wing defender and supplemental rebounder and very rarely did anything outside of that role. He was a pretty classic 3&D guy, which is one of the most well known role player roles.

He was very effective in that role. In fact, he's still a role player on the German national team, and the reason he is still being selected for the team at age 30 is because he knows and excels in said role.

Reaction Score
We're probably going to agree to disagree based on definition, but objectively, he took 16% of the team's shots when he was on the court and had a usage rate less than 15%, 6th and 7th on the team, respectively. KenPom defines roles based on usage, and has that <15% usage in the "limited role" category, which is actually one category below offensive role player. There's 5 guys on the court and he took shots/used possessions 1/6 of the time.

He had a very defined role: floor spacer/3 point shooter and 3/4 wing defender and supplemental rebounder and very rarely did anything outside of that role. He was a pretty classic 3&D guy, which is one of the most well known role player roles.

He was very effective in that role. In fact, he's still a role player on the German national team, and the reason he is still being selected for the team at age 30 is because he knows and excels in said role.

We'll agree to disagree based on definitions, but I think your definition is so broad as to be nonsensical. Almost everyone has a defined role. Bouknight's role was to score. Doesn't make him a "role player". A role player is TSam - come in and provide energy and hustle. Or Albie Mouring in '99 - come in and hit some threes.

The term "role player" as used earlier in this thread is frankly derogatory to a guy who was a crucial piece in any number of different ways in 2014. Did Giffey have a role? Yes, he had a role. Most everyone does. That does not make Giffey a 'role player' in the commonly understood sense of the term.

Reaction Score
oh my god omg GIF by Hell's Kitchen

Reaction Score
How about he was a role player until his senior year? Does that satisfy everyones sensibilities enough or is this thread doomed to go the Clingan thread route? Now back to hoping Karaban pulls the trigger soon...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Didn't spend time at center as well when needed? I think of role player of having a couple well defined skills which the team exploits. Think Rashad Anderson threes or Lyman DePriest's defense. Giffey was different. Yeah he was a streaky 3 point shooter who went on some great runs but he also had flexibility, playing in the paint, grabbing rebounds when needed. I'm pretty sure he was/is the captain of his Euro team, something "role players" typically don't do.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How about he was a role player until his senior year? Does that satisfy everyones sensibilities enough or is this thread doomed to go the Clingan thread route? Now back to hoping Karaban pulls the trigger soon...
Oh I am convinced that we "can't have nice (threads)" anymore. It seems like too many people are making a concerted effort to crap them up.

(But yeah, your compromise works for me. ;))

Reaction Score
Griffey was athletic, a good defender, a good and a good spot up shooter. He also didn’t make stupid plays. Very valuable for uconn and would have been valuable for any team. There’s a reason he continues to be a part of the German national team.

he was not creative offensively, aggressive off the dribble and did not have an expansive move set. He made the simple play and it was obvious this was instilled in him at an early age. When he caught the ball on the wing he looked to deliver a post pass instead of crossing his man over and driving to the lane. Yes, karaban seems like he has the potential to be much more of an offensive threat. Let’s see how it plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom