Alex Karaban hints coming back | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Alex Karaban hints coming back

Reaction Score
Again, if he stays and 3 peats he will make more endorsement money every year for 20 years to cover the 5 million. He is a likable could, could generate 5 million in nil easy. Paige gets a million from gatorade. How about jolly green giant.

Money will always be there, enjoying college experience is once
He is a lottery pick, discussion basically ends there.

Reaction Score
He is a lottery pick, discussion basically ends there.
You are talking generational wealth with a top 10 pick. Then if he gets a good 2nd contract it is multi-generational. Those local endorsement deals will be there for Clingan whenever he wants. He has done his job at UConn and will be a beloved CT figure forever. The risk of injury is way too high.

Reaction Score
When Alex was being recruited his mother was very insistent that he go to a school where he could play basketball but also receive an excellent education and particularly in engineering. Duke was one of the schools he was considering and his mother preferred Duke even though Alex wanted to come to UConn. So when he visited UConn, President Maric arranged for professors of the engineering school to be available for Alex and his parents to meet and tour the engineering department and discuss the excellent engineering programs offered at UConn. Not saying that was what got Alex to come to UConn, but if he is still interested as much now as he was then in receiving an excellent educational foundation before moving into the pros and that he will have with him after a pro career then it is completely understandable why he would stay to graduate. If so, lucky us.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Would love him back but seriously...

I think Karaban should enter the draft. He's probably a second rounder but I don't think his stock will rise next year because he'll be 22 next year and that'll count against his draft stock (as dumb as that sounds, it's the truth). It's unfortunate that his shooting was inconsistent this year, but I think NBA teams will look past that as a fixable issue. He's proven in the past that he can make 3s. He can be a solid NBA role player.

I am more than willing to admit when somebody should declare. I don’t think he should. By coming back and rounding out his game, he can get himself a 1st round guarantee and, as importantly, put himself in a position to be in a rotation from Day 1.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Again, if he stays and 3 peats he will make more endorsement money every year for 20 years to cover the 5 million. He is a likable could, could generate 5 million in nil easy. Paige gets a million from gatorade. How about jolly green giant.

I would wager that DC is still considering sticking around. I would also wager that DH will push him very hard to the draft.

Reaction Score
You are talking generational wealth with a top 10 pick. Then if he gets a good 2nd contract it is multi-generational. Those local endorsement deals will be there for Clingan whenever he wants. He has done his job at UConn and will be a beloved CT figure forever. The risk of injury is way too high.
This thread was about Karaban who it appears most would agree that he should stay on to round out his game and boost his stats. If he wants to declare to test the water fine but he needs at least another year or two. As for Clingan he definitely should declare and will. He should also go near the top of the first round.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
THANK YOU SOMEBODY THAT UNDERSTANDS FINALLY!!!

Castle will go top 20
Newton will go 2nd rd(senior so he was gone)
Cam will go & probably go G-League like sanogo
Karaban is gonna be a 4yr UConn legend
Clingan will return for his junior year & work on his offense like sanogo jr yr he will start shooting 3 to be more likable in the nba he unlike sanogo clingan can do NIL so it’s no big rush or pressure for him to go pro
bookmarked

Reaction Score
He should do what Newton did last year. Go to the pre-combine, if he's draftable they will invite him to the combine.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
bookmarked

I just don’t get why people just dismiss this thought. The young man can continue to get closer to a degree, enjoy being a college student and make well over 7 figures in NIL. I mean I understand the whole money thing but he is going to make money. It’s still a game in college. Sure the NIL generates income but the basketball is still a game.

I really think if he came back and just completely dominated there would be no doubt he would be top three. But this is not about the specifics of strong draft and timing.

The only point of the post is why don’t more people agree that another year in college and learning to be an adult and further mature has some merit. While making millions, I should add and you know develop a plan not only for the five or ten years playing the game but the rest of your life.

That thought is dismissed without even a smidgen of consideration by so many BY’s. That is somewhat surprising to me as from what I can tell most who post on this board are college graduates and probably remember those years as being the most fun time in their lives. So if you are a guy who likes to have fun……is the choice really that easy.

Reaction Score
I just don’t get why people just dismiss this thought. The young man can continue to get closer to a degree, enjoy being a college student and make well over 7 figures in NIL. I mean I understand the whole money thing but he is going to make money. It’s still a game in college. Sure the NIL generates income but the basketball is still a game.

I really think if he came back and just completely dominated there would be no doubt he would be top three. But this is not about the specifics of strong draft and timing.

The only point of the post is why don’t more people agree that another year in college and learning to be an adult and further mature has some merit. While making millions, I should add and you know develop a plan not only for the five or ten years playing the game but the rest of your life.

That thought is dismissed without even a smidgen of consideration by so many BY’s. That is somewhat surprising to me as from what I can tell most who post on this board are college graduates and probably remember those years as being the most fun time in their lives. So if you are a guy who likes to have fun……is the choice really that easy.

NBA money is guaranteed (or at least a large portion of it).

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
How sure is everyone that Clingan is gone? Danny, Luke, Kimani, Hassan and Alex are all talking about three-peating. Maybe establishing a true dynasty means more than an extra year of the NBA grind.
To be fair, Coach Hurley said in post championship press conference that he has two players looking at the MBA draft. No one has definitely said that both Castle and DC are gone. If money is the main factor, DC will go and it will be well deserved.
Another year would also risk injury.
However, when someone is most likely assured of making more money than they will ever need would personal happiness and chance to make history outweigh the extra $?
Even though they likely made the best business decisions, did JH, AS and AJ have more fun this last season than they would have at UConn?

Reaction Score
If he's a 2nd rounder now, what makes you think he'd go any lower next year?

I'd argue that, unlike some guys who are drafted largely on potential, he actually has no downside from coming back.
The only downside is that he is a year older, which definitely affects NBA thinking
Additionally what concerns the NBA is that he does not have elite athleticism and that’s not gonna change
Most mock drafts have him toward the end of the second round

Reaction Score
THANK YOU SOMEBODY THAT UNDERSTANDS FINALLY!!!

Castle will go top 10
Newton will go 2nd rd(senior so he was gone)
Cam will go & probably go G-League like sanogo but with an outside chance of 2nd round
Karaban is gonna be a 3yr UConn legend
Clingan will probaby go Top 10 and Top 15 at worst.
Fixed it for you! You're welcome.

Reaction Score

Because the entire premise is based on IF he comes back and IF he completes a 3 peat that's never been done in the modern era, then he COULD make x in endorsement dollars to offset the guaranteed money that he WILL make as an NBA lottery pick.

The low probability of these hypothetical scenarios can't out weigh guaranteed money in the NBA.

Reaction Score
If Alex comes back, regardless of who else is on this roster, he's the leader next season. I think that maturity along with an extra year of developing and getting stronger does improve his overall stock. And I don't think he's a lock for a situation in the NBA that's at all "comfortable" today meaning, he's going to really need to take big, hard steps quickly there.
Diarra is also a huge leader. The two of them would be awesome.

Reaction Score
If Donovan tries to tell coach he's coming back then Danny needs to cuss him out like he's a ref.
Isn't the story that Calhoun made Butler leave? That has to be Danny's response as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom