Alex Karaban appreciation thread | The Boneyard

Alex Karaban appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fans have said Tristen is underappreciated, and to an extent he is, but this year he's getting his due. But for Alex to not be regarded as one of the top 14 players in the league is ridiculous. Show 'em at the BET and the NCAAT, Alex. UConn fans know how special he is.

Reaction Score
I think one of the thing's that he doesn't credit for is that he is improving constantly himself. He's still very young with an extremely high basketball IQ. There has been a lot of talk of Castle playing a role and really improving, and there should be, but that could be said of a handful of guys on this team.
I have my doubts, but I really hope he comes back. I think with even a little more strength, he could turn into a player of the year candidate, I don't just mean Big East. His handle needs a little more work and I would love to see him work on his post game. I'd like to see him develop a little half hook. flip shot.
If he does (and I think it's when) develop a good post game, he will a nightmare for guys to match up against with his height and range.

Finally, he has really cut down on the fouls this year and I think having Stewart develop a little, even enough to just get him out of the game for a breather here and there has been important. I also wonder if the shooting slump had a little to do with him having to play the 5 at times when Johnson and Clingan were both getting in foul trouble early.

The last thing I'll say and it sums up how I feel about AK is this: KARABAN = WINNER!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Alex will probably go from not being an HM, to pre season POY if he comes back. Unless Kalk comes back for Creighton.

Reaction Score
Overlooking AK as one of the best players in the Big East is unbelievable. He should've been on the 1st team with Tristen and Cam. Hope this gives him fuel going into the big east tournament and he comes out as the MVP at the end

Reaction Score
i will appreciate him even more next year!

Reaction Score
Big East Tournament notes: UConn’s Samson plays like one in The Garden; Karaban takes the high road

Alex Karaban addresses perceived snubs

When Hurley found out he was voted Big East Coach of the Year, knowing Tristen Newton wasn’t voted Player of the Year and Alex Karaban hadn’t been recognized with any postseason nods, it was “awkward,” he said. “I’d say that kind of spoiled it a little bit for all of us.”

Karaban was a unanimous all-freshman selection last year, but lost out on freshman of the year honors to Villanova’s Cam Whitmore, now with the Houston Rockets. “We all felt like Alex, for the second year in a row, was not rewarded with what he earned.”

Karaban, for the second year in a row, has taken the high road.

“It definitely motivates me, seeing the list. It motivated me last year, and we got a ring out of it,” he said. “All I care about is the rings. As long as we get rings, the Big East rings, national championship rings, that’s all that matters to me.”

The redshirt sophomore from Southborough, Mass., was one of two players nationally to join the exclusive 50/40/90 club, averaging 50.3% shooting from the field, 40.1% from 3 and 90.2% from the free throw line. He scored 14.2 points with 5.2 rebounds per game.

“The individual accolades, the people that know me and the people that are within this UConn circle know the value I bring and that’s all that means to me,” Karaban said. “Hearing that from Coach Hurley, as long as he knows how special I am and (the) value I bring to the team, that’s all that matters.”

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Alex meeting the Big East award voters
Excited 2018 Nfl GIF by New England Patriots

Reaction Score
If we reach all of our goals this year (and you all know exactly to what I am referring) then Alex will have been one of the top 2 or 3 reasons we get there. You need guys like him on your team to win championships, as he already proved in spades last year.

I hope he stays one more year because I LOVE what he brings to the table, game in, and game out. He makes watching our games even more enjoyable. Thank you Alex! He really does remind me of John Havlicek... and I have never liked the Celtics, but I know a guy who brings special, winning intangibles to the court when I see one. And I will always respect players like them. My brother had a poster of Havlicek on his wall (he was not a Celtic fan either) because my bro respected the way he played the game too.

And one more thing... thank you fellow Big East coaches for snubbing Mr. Karaban. As if he needed the extra motivation, LOL.

Reaction Score
I saw a guy I know in town today whose son is good friends with Alex. Alex gave his allotted BET tickets to his family but ended up buying tickets for some of his friends from home with his own money. The kids offered to pay and he said he makes enough money from NIL to be able to do that so he did. Nice kid.

Reaction Score
The thing about Alex is that even in the games where the 3 isn't falling, he is always doing a million other things, some show up on the stat sheet and some don't. He's always very active on both ends no matter his struggles.

Reaction Score
Alex has become a more vocal leader on and off the court-As Danny hoped he would. He and Steph have been doing the blue collar work-50/50 balls-deflections-rebounds-solid D. Mentoring young guys like JS/Solo/Ross and encouraging Hass/Samson has been huge for team chemistry.

The fact that he's been close to 50/40/90 throughout the year is symbolic of his hard work in the gym when no one is watching. Classy kid/hard worker.

Reaction Score
Karaban's story is another good one. He has stayed loyal to his community. He is a hard working good kid who is so typical of the type of player that chooses UConn.

Reaction Score
Alex becoming the unofficial president of the Jaylin Stewart fan club is one of my favorite developments of the season. What a TEAM!

He got him with this, though-

Reaction Score
I know this is about AK who is an invaluable part of this team chemistry but need to give a shout out to Jaylin Stewart who AK would certainly agree with who came in and produced big buckets when the team needed it. He has a bright future as a Husky.

Reaction Score
I know this is about AK who is an invaluable part of this team chemistry but need to give a shout out to Jaylin Stewart who AK would certainly agree with who came in and produced big buckets when the team needed it. He has a bright future as a Husky.
Yeah that's why we have a 5 page thread on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom