Alabama Post Game Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Alabama Post Game Thread

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
After poking around the Bama sites for the past few days to see what they were saying, I can definitely say I’ve never seen a fanbase hope for injury (and even dirty plays to injure opposing player) NEARLY as much as them. I’ve probably seen 10-15 posters actively hoping for that and not one poster telling them to calm down. Seriously classless group online.

Extra credit to them for all piling on the Hurley hate with a coach that has effectively the same personality.
Football mentality at which they are legendary. It will take coach Oats a few seasons to civilize them ;) but I have to admit I like the way there guys (and fans) have a lot of dog in them.

Reaction Score
I smiled at this one....

Screenshot 2024-04-07 143908.jpg

Reaction Score
Samson is not starting material without an improvement great than the one we saw from Hilton. C'mon guys. He simply cannot rebound or defend well enough or close to it.
Given that this is Samson's first year playing center and with the recognition that he needs to add strength and weight - a Hilton-like improvement isn't entirely out of the question.

UConn is definitely bringing in someone like Goldin, so it is a bit moot (on starting) - but it is possible to have two outstanding centers again next year.

Reaction Score
Given that this is Samson's first year playing center and with the recognition that he needs to add strength and weight - a Hilton-like improvement isn't entirely out of the question.

UConn is definitely bringing in someone like Goldin, so it is a bit moot (on starting) - but it is possible to have two outstanding centers again next year.

I feel like I'm needing to defend a point instead of celebrating this win. Feels odd.

We had two outstanding centers last year. We do not have two outstanding centers next year. We have a generational talent starting, and a low-average bench center for a team of our caliber most nights.

Reaction Score
I feel like I'm needing to defend a point instead of celebrating this win. Feels odd.

We had two outstanding centers last year. We do not have two outstanding centers next year. We have a generational talent starting, and a low-average bench center for a team of our caliber most nights.
You don't need to defend your point. I understand what you are saying - and as things stand you are correct. And in general expecting a Hilton-like improvement is folly.

All I am trying to say is that as Samson is new to the position (and obviously in the need of strength), the idea that there could be a rapid improvement is not as much of a long shot as would be normal.

Relying on that improvement would be foolish - and UConn clearly have no illusions regarding the reliability of their current centers.

Reaction Score
How about he wanted to give Andrew a chance to score but didn’t realize it was only their 6th team foul
Maybe. Hadn't considered that. If so, then that was a nice gesture and I was too judgy.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

Another "two headed monster". Like this year they would be complementary to one another.

Reaction Score
Just noticed that Newton's alley-oop slam to Castle late in the 2nd half.....it was a no look pass! Sad Newton (and Castle....and Clingan....and Spencer...and maybe Karaban) all only have 1 game left in their UConn careers.

• Love
Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Just noticed that Newton's alley-oop slam to Castle late in the 2nd half.....it was a no look pass! Sad Newton (and Castle....and Clingan....and Spencer...and maybe Karaban) all only have 1 game left in their UConn careers.

They showed it from in back of TN, and he knew exactly what Steph was doing and when he’d get there.

caw

Reaction Score
Conveniently, most teams don't have a monstar to match Purdue's monstar.

Karaban's check--I'm forgetting his name--isn't very good. I expect we have some idea for how to try some double-teams.

Respectfully, disagree on Renn or Gillis being not very good. Both are very solid for what they are asked to do. Renn is a decent to good post player and Gillis is a lights out open shooter. Renn does a great job of doing little things off the ball also and Gillis is perhaps Purdue's best post entry passer IMO and a decent cutter off the ball. I wouldn't want either over Karaban but they are better than a lot of a PF's out there.

That said they aren't dynamic like Nelson, or Hawkins. Nor are they big bodied athletic freaks like KJ Adams which Alex often has trouble with. If they hurt UConn offensively it will be Gillis getting open shots, or Renn with his jumphook. They do tend to feast when the other team uses their PF to double Edey.

Reaction Score
Maybe. Hadn't considered that. If so, then that was a nice gesture and I was too judgy.

I don’t think this was the case. If you watch DC is on his feet saying something that looks like “it’s f$@&&g over” with an agitated face and he’s pulled back

Reaction Score

I think it’s nuts that you described Samson’s season as “a disaster” in the chat. Flat out nuts. I think you kill this kid relentlessly. Just my opinion. You’re the coach, not me.

Reaction Score
I think it’s nuts that you described Samson’s season as “a disaster” in the chat. Flat out nuts. I think you kill this kid relentlessly. Just my opinion. You’re the coach, not me.
We went undefeated with Samson starting at center this year. In the Big East, not against cupcakes.

He is not a great rebounder. His defense has improved. Other coaches go out of their way to compliment how good he is. Painter did that yesterday.

Samson is good! He's an exceptional backup center and after his first healthy season, you might imagine a healthy offseason leads to him giving us 11 and 7 with some blocks if he was a starter putting in 25 minutes.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
a low-average bench center for a team of our caliber most nights.
We're going to have to disagree here. I think you're being blinded by a personal bias, but my expertise is psychology not basketball.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
“Low-average bench center” are the words of a moran.

Reaction Score
“Low-average bench center” are the words of a moran.
He's not a moron, but it's a bad take. He's been much better recently, and there's a whole lot of things he does well. Aside from my eyes and Painter's words, pretty much everyone else watching basketball consistently talks about how good Slamson is as a reserve. He's probably the best backup center in college basketball, and he can certainly be the starting center on a Top 25 team.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Unreal game, tho he was quiet offensively in the 2nd half.
They decided to guard him in the 2nd half. That's why Cam and AK found better looks.

Reaction Score
Another key to the game that I think sorta got lost in the already established narrative is the fact UConn only let 'bama attempt 23 3's. Yeah, they shot 48% from 3, but they were 7 3's short of their season average for attempts. UConn's game plan was to limit not only their 3's made, but 3's attempted too, and force them to take contested 2-pointers (they were 15-35 from 2). Mission accomplished.

Even their ridiculous 73% shooting from 3 in the first half....it was only on 11 attempts.

Reaction Score
He's not a moron, but it's a bad take. He's been much better recently, and there's a whole lot of things he does well. Aside from my eyes and Painter's words, pretty much everyone else watching basketball consistently talks about how good Slamson is as a reserve. He's probably the best backup center in college basketball, and he can certainly be the starting center on a Top 25 team.
He isn’t going to position the team as having a dominant force in the paint. He has some hops and length that can be put to selective good use. He can’t rebound effectively, is not an offensive threat other than the occasional slip screen lob, and his D in the paint is average. He’s got a lot of work to do. He does contribute and that shouldn’t be lost.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
That game still gives me agita.

That game still haunts me, as evidence that the basketball Gods are looking down at us, letting us know they can make us suffer indefinitely if they so choose.
E8 is always the pucker factor game...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom