Alabama Post Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Alabama Post Game Thread

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
When they tied with 10 minutes to go, I kept thinking about the many collapses the team had last year.

My stomach turned, but thankfully this is a much better talented team. Started feeling better when Sanogo led the fast break with a slam and back up by 7 with about 5 minutes and some change.

This was a hard fought victory and I think the score doesn't indicate the many chances that Bama had to keep it close. We executed late, they didn't. Don't let the final score fool you, we easily could have let this go. Feeling much better.
This is what I felt people who didn’t give UConn credit missed. Newton is a Sr. Allenye a JR. Adama a JR. Jackson a JR. Joey C a super Sr. Yes we have some young guys, but also veteran experience that knows how to close and win games. Karaban plays like at least a sophomore.

Reaction Score
Why does this matter?

The "Calcaterra can't play a lick of defense," train must be getting lonely.
Here is a quick list of players who play better defense than Joey C:

Jackson
Sanogo
Clingan
Newton
Hawkins
Diarra
Alleyne
Karaban
Springs

Jury is still out on Roumoglou, Andrew Hurley and the Israeli guy. Please feel free to add to the list if I’m missing others.

Reaction Score
I did, as did many.

A better way to put what I said: There was not much evidence to support he would be this good. He played for a crappy AAU team and didn't look very good the total of 2 times he played against top-100 recruits. There simply wasn't any evidence on him playing against good competition. Compared that to a kid like Hawkins who we saw against top-100 talent dozens of times before he showed up on campus... much better idea of how good he'd be. Clingan's HS team was obviously not very good by our standards. He was 30 lbs too heavy and not mobile enough.

I suspected the shotblocking and passing would translate--most impressive is how quickly he's picking up defense, even against some of the quicker and more athletic centers we've face.

I don't think a kid can be MIP of the team as a freshman, but he has my vote anyways.

Reaction Score
Alleyne is being cast aside by many here and on the chat last night. He defended the hell out of Miller early on only a ticky tack call stopped him from holding him down to nothing. He is in a slump shooting it no doubt but will come alive and everyone will be a fan again, he’s a player. He made a couple mid range shots the other night that not too many others have, he’ll be fine.
100% right mau. Every guy we have won’t be playing at their peak at the same time all year. Alleyne will find his way and start making shots, another guy or two will cool down and our depth will show itself again. Love seeing these guys get into the other team on defense!

Reaction Score
RJ didn’t always have the best defender on him either. He didn’t look any better playing next to Bouknight.
I didn’t say “always” I said “often”.

Joey “never” has their best defender on him and still relies on the fact this is a much better/deeper/more unselfish team.

Love both of the guys. They are completely different players.

Reaction Score
Thank you for showering me with Dislikes on my last post. Almost felt like hanging out with Pac-Man Jones at a strip joint. I’m honored by the distinguished list of participants on the Dislike list.

Good news: The contributions by everyone on this year’s team is a net positive. That’s why we have the potential to be a great team. If AJ chucks 4 bad 3s, we’ll still be OK because he rebounds, plays great D and we have Hawkins, Joey, Newton, Karaban and others who can consistently make shots. Same can be said for Alleyne.

The Joey C defense story is similar. He’s been absolutely tremendous with his energy and offensive prowess. It’s OK if we admit that he’s not a defensive stalwart. We have a system in place where others can cover for him, especially down low.

Just curious, back to the Disliked post, who should not be on the list as a better defender than Joey?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I disliked the entire concept. Why are we taking shots at our own guys after a great win? Is it to be edgy? I prefer talking about the many things a player is doing well instead of harping on areas for improvement. You don't think this team is about continuous improvement?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just curious, back to the Disliked post, who should not be on the list as a better defender than Joey?
I disliked the entire concept. Why are we taking shots at our own guys after a great win? Is it to be edgy? I prefer talking about the many things a player is doing well instead of harping on areas for improvement. You don't think this team is about continuous improvement?

Reaction Score
RH Cole is overrated on this board imo. This is coming from someone who has all the reason to be bias towards him.

He couldn’t finish at the rim as well as Joey C and he wasn’t the passer Joey is either. I don’t count Sanogo because he’s a big but he has his flaws where he can turn into a black hole for this offense if he doesn’t remember to play team basketball.

Joey came in and we immediately went on a run. He can score a make the right play. For anyone that has to say that too much was put on RJ, remember he was lackluster as a 2nd guard to Bouknight too. Newton is showing how you play the point and make an impact without needing to score.

God this place is the worst sometimes. Swap “RH Cole” for Calcaterra last year and what do you think our record is? 10-21?

Different players have different roles. Calcaterra has been great in his role so far. I know we have to automatically overstate and understate everything that happens but this is a really silly post, even considering the source.

Reaction Score
Thank you for showering me with Dislikes on my last post. Almost felt like hanging out with Pac-Man Jones at a strip joint. I’m honored by the distinguished list of participants on the Dislike list.

Good news: The contributions by everyone on this year’s team is a net positive. That’s why we have the potential to be a great team. If AJ chucks 4 bad 3s, we’ll still be OK because he rebounds, plays great D and we have Hawkins, Joey, Newton, Karaban and others who can consistently make shots. Same can be said for Alleyne.

The Joey C defense story is similar. He’s been absolutely tremendous with his energy and offensive prowess. It’s OK if we admit that he’s not a defensive stalwart. We have a system in place where others can cover for him, especially down low.

You're correct that he's one of our weaker defenders. But he's also holding his own against P5 teams and playing really well. No idea why you woke up and decided you needed to take shots at him. And there's no way to read it as anything other than a shot when you pose the question of who's a better defender between Joey Calcaterra and Andrew Hurley

Reaction Score
Why does this matter?

The "Calcaterra can't play a lick of defense," train must be getting lonely.
I love Joey C’s contribution and role on this team. But it’s okay to say his defense is a liability.

Everything he does at the other end of the court makes up for it throughout the game, but at the end of the game, with the lead, Diarra was out there, not Joey. Because of his defense.

It’s obvious teams attack Joey off the dribble. He doesn’t have the lateral quickness to stay in front of his man. No shame in that at this level, these guys are all amazing basketball players relatively speaking.

It matters because in late game situations I can see Hurley subbing Diarra/Joey in and out for defense/offense depending on the score. But that requires a stoppage in play which doesn’t always happen.

It matters because I don’t think he will shoot 60% from three on the season. There’s no way he can keep that up, but 50% isn’t out of the question.

So we have to think about defensive matchups too, and the fact that we have other shooters and options means Hurley will have decisions to make.

It’s an issue, but our depth makes it a minor one.

@Punkbo
I think the issue was the delivery of your post.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thanksgiving, family and competing interests for time.
Chose to wait until this morning so I could watch uninterrupted and in peace.

Loved that the game was tight for 20 minutes and UConn had to value possessions and play smart and hard.

Karaban does all the small things so well. I'll go back 20+ years and say he reminds me of what Karla Berube used to do on the women's team. Every move is intentional and the "right play".

Newton ran the team. Didn't shoot well, but 8 assists, one TO and he made his FT's.

Loved Sanogo hitting the three during the dagger run after missing his first three. He imposed his well over final 10 minutes.

Joey C. A running right handed lay up while going left? He has been so much more than we anticipated.

Hawkins played well in spurts.

Diarra's best game so far? Probably.

Well, UConn has played two teams in 2 nights with high level D1 athletes and have two wins by double digits.

Band wagon is gonna fill up quick.

Reaction Score
I kinda agree. But Joey C is a big part of the off ball movement. The ball doesn’t stick with him and he’s constantly on the go. RJ didn’t always have the best defender on him either. He didn’t look any better playing next to Bouknight. He’s a guy who needs the ball.
Cut it man, sheesh. Joey isn’t better than RJ. Why are you dying on this hill?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Here is a quick list of players who play better defense than Joey C:

Jackson
Sanogo
Clingan
Newton
Hawkins
Diarra
Alleyne
Karaban
Springs

Jury is still out on Roumoglou, Andrew Hurley and the Israeli guy. Please feel free to add to the list if I’m missing others.

Calcaterra is a good team defense player, seeing plays develop and positioning himself to challenge and steal passes. He makes a lot of plays off the ball. Do you think defense is simply 1-on-1?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I love Joey C’s contribution and role on this team. But it’s okay to say his defense is a liability.

He's averaging 21 min/gm and holding his own.

Defense is not a zero sum game. It's okay to say he is not the strongest defensive player on the team, but yet not be a liability.

Reaction Score
I understand it’s much easier to do as a sixth year guy, but the way Joey came into UConn was and is very impressive. He had aspirations but no entitlement. If there were minutes he could earn, he’d do what he could to try and do so.

Richie being Richie (by which I mean, a generally supportive and good guy) and Hasson and Roumoglou being on their own development plans is making for a much more cohesive and team-focused roster. It’s been fun to watch so far.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom