Al Skinner | The Boneyard

Al Skinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Doesn't need the job or the money. Recruited O'Shea for BCU then he was HC at URI and O'Shea was his assistant. Skinner took him to BCU when he became coach.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He's been trying to get work since Boston College fired him - if anyone thinks he wants to be an assistant at Bryant, they're crazy.

Boston College did a great job running him down after they fired him.

Rumors about his work ethic have basically removed him from getting another head coaching gig at any level.

Reaction Score
Kinda funny!! Flipper got rid of their successful Women's coach also , and that program has suffered too,

Reaction Score
I doubt he wants for $. Good for him for continuing to try and help players get better. Good example of "Don't let the bastards get you down".

Reaction Score
My family has deep URI connections and loved Skinner. I was shocked to see him as an assistant at Bryant. Hope he finds a HC job soon, the man needs to be at the helm somewhere.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
No chizz? I saw him on TV and thought he was the head coach which was bad enough. I had no idea he was an assistant.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting.

One thing I'm happy about in this article I found the guy I believe was one of the final candidates with JC and Nick Macarchuk for the Huskies mens job after Perno - Bob Zuffelato. I believe he was originally from Torrington and at the time of the search he was either a scout or assistant for the Bucks I believe? But UConn and he showed interest in each other before they chose JC I do believe!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It wasn't enough for BC to fire him, they had to try destroy him.

No reason for it other than that's how that place works.

They've hired a pair of tomato cans since Skinner left - nobody but nobody wanted to take that gig last year.

Reaction Score
I like Al hope he lands on his feet. BC has been awful since..
I like him too. I couldn't stand him as a player when he was a rival of UConn. May be I'm getting soft in my old age.

Reaction Score
It wasn't enough for BC to fire him, they had to try destroy him.

No reason for it other than that's how that place works.

They've hired a pair of tomato cans since Skinner left - nobody but nobody wanted to take that gig last year.

Is this a part of Boston culture or something? The whole getting rid of someone then saying bad stuff about them on their way out, I mean? Weren't the Sox (or at least the Boston media) also accused of doing this sort of thing to former players and staff?

Reaction Score
Is this a part of Boston culture or something? The whole getting rid of someone then saying bad stuff about them on their way out, I mean? Weren't the Sox (or at least the Boston media) also accused of doing this sort of thing to former players and staff?

No not the Sox fans, c'mon. Ask them! LOL.

But seriously you may be on to something. Fung Wah, Mass.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's been the SOP of the Sox' front office and local media for quite some time. I remember it got really ugly when the Sox fired Francona and "anonymous sources from inside the organization" called the guy a pill popper. Nomar, Clemens, Manny, Pedro, Derek Lowe, Mike Lowell, etc., all got similar treatment.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's been the SOP of the Sox' front office and local media for quite some time. I remember it got really ugly when the Sox fired Francona and "anonymous sources from inside the organization" called the guy a pill popper. Nomar, Clemens, Manny, Pedro, Derek Lowe, Mike Lowell, etc., all got similar treatment.

I don't remember anything bad at all about Pedro and Nomar and Lowell, and I'm fairly confident they didn't knock Nomar and Pedro, but Clemens and Manny deserved everything they got, obviously, and you have to admit Derek Lowe was a prime flake, even though the Sox made a big mistake getting rid of him.

Reaction Score
didn't Coach Calhoun always have complimentary things to say about the guy? Like legit nice things, not sarcastic.

Reaction Score
I don't remember anything bad at all about Pedro and Nomar and Lowell, and I'm fairly confident they didn't knock Nomar and Pedro, but Clemens and Manny deserved everything they got, obviously, and you have to admit Derek Lowe was a prime flake, even though the Sox made a big mistake getting rid of him.

Agree on Pedro and Lowell but Nomar was Fung Wah'd hard and often when he departed. Clemens did deserve it mostly but why did Manny? You all loved him when he was doing whacky crap his whole Sox career while winning and went along with it happily. Then when he leaves and he's a known user he's garbage? Sorry pretty much only in Boston upstater.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree on Pedro and Lowell but Nomar was Fung Wah'd hard and often when he departed. Clemens did deserve it mostly but why did Manny? You all loved him when he was doing whacky crap his whole Sox career while winning and went along with it happily. Then when he leaves and he's a known user he's garbage? Sorry pretty much only in Boston upstater.
Nomar and Manny became clubhouse poison before they left. I suspect that contributed to it, but I agree it isn't the classiest thing in world to do. (As an aside, I blame Mia Hamm for Nomar's decline and attitude change.)

Reaction Score
Nomar and Manny became clubhouse poison before they left. I suspect that contributed to it, but I agree it isn't the classiest thing in world to do. (As an aside, I blame Mia Hamm for Nomar's decline and attitude change.)

what did she do?

Reaction Score

Manny being Manny meant being unreliable, not caring, indifference to winning and losing. anyone who doesn't remember Sox fan exasperation with the guy has a short memory. It wasn't about the steroids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom