Al in Portal | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Al in Portal

Reaction Score
Not saying necessarily Texas Tech, but let's see how this unfolds.

I mean in general. Championships are great and all, but he's 23 years old and looking down the barrel of not getting a contract in a decent pro league. IMO he needs to go to the best fit regardless of their champ potential. He needs playing time--a championship team isnt giving him that

Reaction Score
No way of knowing how good he might have been without the injury but I doubt he is going somewhere to be a 6th man. I think Next level down, sort of A10ish level is where he lands. He can be the guy. At a higher level he’s a backup. Not a knock. Just reality.

Reaction Score
Wichita state has great coaching staff that develops players and they just had transfers. That seems like a good landing spot to me

Reaction Score
Wichita state has great coaching staff that develops players and they just had transfers. That seems like a good landing spot to me

Based on what I've heard, I wouldn't want any of my relatives playing for him. Lots of player criticism about Marshall being a "make 1 mistake and get benched" kinda coach. Hardass in a dick-ish instead of loving kinda way.

Reaction Score
Based on what I've heard, I wouldn't want any of my relatives playing for him. Lots of player criticism about Marshall being a "make 1 mistake and get benched" kinda coach. Hardass in a dick-ish instead of loving kinda way.

Hmm, sound like someone we know. Maybe the difference is the Love JC provided before and after he ripped you in public and benched you.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
No way of knowing how good he might have been without the injury but I doubt he is going somewhere to be a 6th man. I think Next level down, sort of A10ish level is where he lands. He can be the guy. At a higher level he’s a backup. Not a knock. Just reality.
Next level down = A10?
It could be argued that A10 and the American are the same level. Personally I see both conferences as the exact same level. Next level down would be ConfUSA or MAC.

Reaction Score
Marshall wishes he sounded like Jim.
Just saying I'm sure you've seem or beloved coach interact with players after one dumb mistake. "Sound like" I guess who says it matters.

Reaction Score
Just saying I'm sure you've seem or beloved coach interact with players after one dumb mistake. "Sound like" I guess who says it matters.

There's a difference between being a to advance your own career and being tough to better your players. If you wanna know what former players think about Marshall, feel free to google. Probably won't be the same comments you see from UConn alum.

Reaction Score
Texas Tech is a serious contender. I think Alterique is going to go where he can contend for a championship.
Hope not. Davide Moretti will play nearly all the PG minutes, plus they have an elite prospect Nimari Burnett coming in at the 2 spot. McCullar did nicely as their backup last year too.

Just based on that list, I like GW. A bad team in a solid conference, but also a good academic school that's a quick hour plane ride to home.

After an awful first season, coach Jamion Christian could use all the help he needs, especially after their senior point guard leader Armel Potter is graduating. I can see Alterique going into GW and do a great job providing some stability and mentoring Jameer Nelson Jr before he takes over as the lead guard in his junior year. Also, they had a pretty solid freshman class last year, with two players as starters and two others as rotation pieces so there could be that exciting element of coming in as a senior leader for a young, developing team.

As others mentioned, Georgia is a good fit too even though having Alterique and Wheeler on the floor at the same time seems hard to fathom.

Wherever he lands, I wish him an easy track to PT!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Yeah, 8 transfers out at once has to be of concern for anyone comtemplating transferring there. Marshall has historically done a great job but something must be amiss.

Reaction Score
I still don't know who's choice it was for AG to leave. Why wouldn't a coach want a defensive stopper veteran player? Looking at the schools that are interested, it seems like it was more AG's decision. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
Not much closer to home than UConn, a step down in competition, but there are things Pitino can teach him that Hurley probably doesn't know much about. :rolleyes:
Pitino could pull a Tarkanian Fresno State-like turnaround and have Iona relevant very quickly if he can get some impact players, especially grad transfers.

Reaction Score
Pitino could pull a Tarkanian Fresno State-like turnaround and have Iona relevant very quickly if he can get some impact players, especially grad transfers.

that’s exactly what pitino’s gonna do. iona is gonna be
a dangerous tournament team right now

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They have a great trio of guards between Isaiah Washington, Asante Gist and Isaiah Ross so there's a good foundation there.

Pitino will make this team the #1 best team in the MAAC, as they might already have been even without his hire, but no way they will be a top-25 team like what Tarkanian was able to do at Fresno State. Back when Fresno State was in the "old" WAC, it was a solid mid-major conference with teams like Utah, BYU, New Mexico and San Diego State.

The MAAC is the MAAC. It's a low-D1 conference nowhere near the level of play of other mid-major leagues like the Southern, MAC, Sun Belt, let alone the WCC, Mountain West, MVC, etc.

A realistic possibility is that Iona becomes the standalone team in a weak conference, like Vermont in the America East or New Mexico State in the "new" WAC.

However, I love the MAAC and live only 45 minutes outside of New Rochelle. No doubt the Pitino hire piques my interest and will I definitely check out Iona home games next year and especially away games when they play Fairfield.

Reaction Score
I mean in general. Championships are great and all, but he's 23 years old and looking down the barrel of not getting a contract in a decent pro league. IMO he needs to go to the best fit regardless of their champ potential. He needs playing time--a championship team isnt giving him that
Just for the record I agree with you mostly on this; the best fit for AG is the one that gives him ample playing time so he can raise his pro prospects. If the opportunity presents itself though, I just think he can also find those minutes fitting into the right slot on a team that is contending for bigger and better things. I'm curious to see how this turns out.

C

Chief00

That's at least 2 shout outs to his mom. Don't you have a girlfriend? :)
LOL - I do ok. It’s a shout-out not a pick up line. Relax!
Recruiting 101 - have some good natured fun and show some respect to Fam. The player gets enough of attention.

Reaction Score
Gators Reach Out To UConn Graduate Transfer Alterique Gilbert

So far Florida’s offers and interest to transfers has largely slanted towards big men but there is a very interesting point guard that the Gators have been pursuing—UConn’s Alterique Gilbert.

"...he played next to another TRUE PG in Christian Vital.." Not a bad write up overall on AG but she must have fallen short trying to get info on CV. By the way he did scare the heck out of Nembhart when we played them in the defensive end for most of the match up.

Reaction Score
Gators Reach Out To UConn Graduate Transfer Alterique Gilbert

So far Florida’s offers and interest to transfers has largely slanted towards big men but there is a very interesting point guard that the Gators have been pursuing—UConn’s Alterique Gilbert.

Funny quote from that article:

Gilbert played next to another true point guard in Christian Vital and that brought his playmaking opportunities down a bit, but while his raw assist numbers aren’t particularly high his assist rate is actually really good...

This isn't a knock on AG, but the author clearly never watched Vital play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom