Akok: Does anyone have any true insight into why he was so buried on the bench recently? | The Boneyard

Akok: Does anyone have any true insight into why he was so buried on the bench recently?

Reaction Score
Does anyone have any true insight into why he was so buried on the bench recently? Was it more due to his body still not being able to handle many minutes, just a shortened rotation that made him a casualty or DH not liking matchups with him in there.? With Martin playing so poorly lately and Sanogo in constant foul trouble, can’t help but think Akok could have provided a much needed shot in the arm. The little stretch he played a few games back, he hit a 3, had a great drive and scored 7 points quickly. Frustrated he didn’t get more chances, especially with the guys ahead of him not playing well.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have any true insight into why he was so buried on the bench recently? Was it more due to his body still not being able to handle many minutes, just a shortened rotation that made him a casualty or DH not liking matchups with him in there.? With Martin playing so poorly lately and Sanogo in constant foul trouble, can’t help but think Akok could have provided a much needed shot in the arm. The little stretch he played a few games back, he hit a 3, had a great drive and scored 7 points quickly. Frustrated he didn’t get more chances, especially with the guys ahead of him not playing well.
Why do we have to keep talking about this? We’ll see him next year

Reaction Score
Because it is a UConn basketball forum made up of fans of all types. He has a question, why try to bully him for asking for answers he doesn't have. Tentoes4rings, good question! Don't be intimidated.
Thanks man, in fairness I do see it’s been discussed quite a bit in other threads after searching. I just think for 10 minutes he could have helped last night.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Clowns GIF by memecandy

Reaction Score
Basically he was never fully recovered from the Achilles and they didn't want to rush him back. Should be at 100% for next season
Spot on. He's not 100%, fans don't know how well he's been practicing, and I trust the coaching staff is looking out for him for both next year and later into wherever his career goes to put him at risk of another injury when he's not all the way back yet.

Reaction Score
The last time we saw a healthy akok he was shooting 26% from 3...he wouldn’t have helped our putrid shooting this year which was our Achilles heel and ultimate downfall. Can we expect him to increase his shooting average by 10-15% next year?? I’m not counting on it

We need a legit stretch 4 starting in between aj and sanogo in the front court. A guy in Giffeys mold I don’t care is he can’t block shots. Cole and Hawkins aren’t nearly enough firepower, we need at least 3 shooters in the lineup that can approach 40% from 3.

But a lineup of Cole/hawk/aj/akok/sanogo is not solving our problems

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The last time we saw a healthy akok he was shooting 26% from 3...he wouldn’t have helped our putrid shooting this year which was our Achilles heel and ultimate downfall. Can we expect him to increase his shooting average by 10-15% next year?? I’m not counting on it

So We need a legit stretch 4 starting in between aj and sanogo in the front court I don’t care if he can’t block shots. A guy in Alex Karabans mold. Cole and Hawkins aren’t nearly enough firepower. we need at least 3 shooters in the lineup that can approach 40% from 3.

a lineup of Cole/hawk/aj/akok/sanogo is an even worse shooting lineup than we just had
This is the analysis we need.

Reaction Score

So We need a legit stretch 4 starting in between aj and sanogo in the front court I don’t care if he can’t block shots. A guy in Alex Karabans mold. Cole and Hawkins aren’t nearly enough firepower. we need at least 3 shooters in the lineup that can approach 40% from 3.

a lineup of Cole/hawk/aj/akok/sanogo is an even worse shooting lineup than we just had
The discussion everyone seems to avoid lol

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ask a clown question get a clown answer. Did you seriously forget he ruptured his Achilles last year? It's a multi year recovery. Expecting him to play this year was always folly.

Which goes back to DH being real bad with the media on expectations for recovery. Hurley consistently said in the fall Akok was progressing nicely, and was tracking for a January 2021 insertion in to lineup. Not unreasonable for fans to think Akok was supposed to be in rotation by end of February and March.

Reaction Score
Which goes back to DH being real bad with the media on expectations for recovery. Hurley consistently said in the fall Akok was progressing nicely, and was tracking for a January 2021 insertion in to lineup. Not unreasonable for fans to think Akok was supposed to be in rotation by end of February and March.

They tried, it was't working and they shut him down. Simple as that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They tried, it was't working and they shut him down. Simple as that.

But it wasn't a "folly" on fans part to think he was going to contribute based on what DH was saying.

For the record I would think it is what you said, they tried. He was slow on defense which didn't bother me. Knock off the rust. We did see him bang jump shots, make a running layup and block shots. He wasn't an invalid.

I do suspect they did testing on his knees after a few games and determined knee still needed more time. By the time he started playing he had more than a month of full contact practices so whatever they found wasn't just a result of game play.

Bigger picture, I expect him to be a 25 mpg + player next year.

Reaction Score
I still think there’s a lot more to it than we know. It just doesn’t make sense why he was starting to build up his stamina in the middle of conference play, had a huge role in our Xavier comeback win, and then poof. Never played again.

Attaching a picture from yesterday. Seems like a player that is detached.

Attachments

• A9790148-E690-4260-900A-D386970D4C35.jpeg
    A9790148-E690-4260-900A-D386970D4C35.jpeg
    370.2 KB · Views: 260

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Would’ve been nice if Some Guy asked Hurley instead of virtue signaling

Reaction Score
But was it for health reasons or because Hurley was concerned about Akok getting his legs back under him vs. BE competition?

If it’s the latter and I’m Akok, I’d be pissed. And from the little that I do know about the program, that is the case; he’s not happy.
You seem to really want to die on this Akok is unhappy hill, no idea what you know that nobody else does but it's not something I find remotely OK speculating about on here so this will be my last message to you

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom