Akinjo released from LOI | The Boneyard

Akinjo released from LOI

Reaction Score
Kind of surprising, at least a bit.

General consensus was that UConn would wait for release until after the newly hired coach had a chance to talk with him.

Pure speculation, but does this mean that UConn isnt anticipating a quick hire?

Reaction Score
I get the impression that this kid wasn't so much in love with UConn as he was with KO. Perhaps he had no interest in waiting to find out who the new coach will be.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

General consensus was that UConn would wait for release until after the newly hired coach had a chance to talk with him.

No, it means nothing other than common sense prevailed.

You don't string a kid along. Give him the ability to talk to other schools, hire your coach, and if that coach wants to chase him down, he will. Otherwise, he won't. In any event, let the kid see what is out there.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No, it means nothing other than common sense prevailed.

You don't string a kid along. Give him the ability to talk to other schools, hire your coach, and if that coach wants to chase him down, he will. Otherwise, he won't. In any event, let the kid see what is out there.

Anybody was still free to recruit the kid, even if he has an LOI. It just means he couldn't sign with another school.

I wanted them to wait, but I understand the optics. And who knows how long it will take to find a coach?

If he signs somewhere else in the meantime, c'est la vie. I guess, in this day and age, it's good to keep the family happy.

Reaction Score

General consensus? Amongst the posters on this board?

This place is an unmitigated disaster with people saying Ollie was coming back until the day he was fired. If it was up to this board our coach next season would be between Geno, Hobbs, and Chillious.

Just wait a little longer.

Reaction Score
This feels like exactly what you do when you want to give your new coach, whenever he is hired, the best chance at getting the player to stay. You keep him in your good graces, allow him to look elsewhere as he desires, but keep the door open by treating him and his family with respect. Notice the graceful words tweeted here as well as in the original tweet declaring he was reopening his recruitment. Sounds like UConn handled this the absolute correct way. If he doesn't come, so be it. But we're giving the new coach the best chance to keep that line of communication open.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I never understand why schools hold these kids hostage when they ask for a release. It looks bad for the school and makes it even less likely that they'll want to play at that school when a new coach is in place. This was the right move.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

I doubt it--Pitt released all their guys as well. It's just the right thing to do.

Reaction Score
Best of luck to James. I was excited about him when he committed but as the season went on I knew better than getting too attached to KO’s recruits.

Reaction Score
He was being recruited the whole time.. He commits to a big program within 2 weeks.. Everyone knew KO was gone. And recruited against that.

It totally sucks. He would have been a perfect fit to share the point with AG and become comfortable with D1 ball...

This kid is going to be GOOD..

Reaction Score
I never understand why schools hold these kids hostage when they ask for a release. It looks bad for the school and makes it even less likely that they'll want to play at that school when a new coach is in place. This was the right move.

I still remember Phil Martelli refusing to provide a release for a kid who wasn’t even that good. Came off as a totally petty person....

Reaction Score
He was was coming to play for KO. I wonder if KO influenced him to ask for release. KO. is a bit pissed sbout being let go.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Need another ball handler badly. Hope it’s still him. And hopefully, if it’s hurley, we can find another spot for Harris too.

Reaction Score
I just get the feeling we still have a chance. Hopefully we land Hurley and if he wants James and he is interested in Uconn then we can make something happen.

Reaction Score
The ship has sailed. Many believed he wasn't coming here even if KO stayed. Wish him luck as long as he doesn't bite us in the arse face-to-face some point down the line.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The ship has sailed. Many believed he wasn't coming here even if KO stayed. Wish him luck as long as he doesn't bite us in the arse face-to-face some point down the line.

So basically root for him to go to cal Berkeley and never make the tourney during his career?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom