AJax in 2022-23 | The Boneyard

AJax in 2022-23

Reaction Score
Jackson is one of the most interesting players I can recall in a UConn uniform. Incredible hops, great vision, averaged 6.8 points, 6.8 rebounds and 3.1 assists as a soph on 36% shooting from 3, and 42% overall. He also averaged 2 turnovers and .6 blocks. He only shot 71% from the line though.

I think we see more offense from Ajax this season and he averages 10-12 points per game, along with 7 boards and 4 assists. I expect a nice bump in free throw % to over 80%, 1 block per game and 2 To. Those numbers would represent decent development, in my opinion.

Are my expectations realistic or is Andre poised for a truly breakout season?

Reaction Score
He's gonna make a huge junior year leap (no pun intended). I have a lot of confidence in him, which I didn't really have most of last season because he was so hesitant to try to score, up until the end of the season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There is a lot riding on him. I expect his finishing at the rim and his ability to draw fouls to improve. I'd like that FT% to get to 75%. I think 80% is a stretch with his form. His outside shot needs to improve still, and he should work to cut down the turnovers. Incredible potential.

This may sound strange, but if he doesn't make those improvements, I'd consider making him the 6th man. A lot of the starting lineup conversations here are really all caused by the fact that Jackson has such a strange role, you really place him based on who you'd choose to sit instead.

Reaction Score
I'd expect him to average a double double (or very close to it). He's primed to be our teams leader this year and I have tons of confidence in him improving on what he needs to during the summer.
10 boards is a bit much to expect, especially with Sanogo alongside him. I hope you are right though.

Reaction Score
There is a lot riding on him. I expect his finishing at the rim and his ability to draw fouls to improve. I'd like that FT% to get to 75%. I think 80% is a stretch with his form. His outside shot needs to improve still, and he should work to cut down the turnovers. Incredible potential.

This may sound strange, but if he doesn't make those improvements, I'd consider making him the 6th man. A lot of the starting lineup conversations here are really all caused by the fact that Jackson has such a strange role, you really place him based on who you'd choose to sit instead.
If his offense doesn't improve at all - which is extremely unlikely - he'll still be starting. He'd basically be our version of Leaky Black on UNC. He's a defensive wizard (EvanMiya says that Jackson was actually better defensively last year) but not really a threat on offense. They surrounded Leaky with 2 very good guards, a 4 that can shoot from 3, and Bacot. We can basically do the same thing with Newton, Hawkins, Alleyne/Johnson/Karaban, and Sanogo. But that is a worst case scenario...and Jackson is already a better all around player than Leaky is and he's 3 years younger

Reaction Score
AJ, Sanogo, and Hawkins is a very solid nucleus. A do-it-all glue man, a beast big-man w/ a POY candidate ceiling, and a silky smooth 3-level scorer. That's balance.

Sign me up.

Reaction Score
10 boards is a bit much to expect, especially with Sanogo alongside him. I hope you are right though.
Unless Sanogo is averaging Oscar Tshiebwe rebounding numbers, someone has to grab the ball lol

AJ, Sanogo, and Hawkins is a very solid nucleus. A do-it-all glue man, a beast big-man w/ a POY candidate ceiling, and a silky smooth 3-level scorer.

Sign me up.
Newton

Reaction Score
He had 18 dunks last year. He needs at least 30 dunks this year.

More importantly, overall Martin made 70 "close 2s" last year and Jackson only 40. That number has to go way up. He's got to be attacking and finishing at the rim (whether by dunk or layup, either is fine).

Martin also 90 FTA, Jackson 63. Also has to go up correspondingly.

Reaction Score
AJ, Sanogo, and Hawkins is a very solid nucleus. A do-it-all glue man, a beast big-man w/ a POY candidate ceiling, and a silky smooth 3-level scorer. That's balance.

Sign me up.

All potential still, AJ needs to finish around the rim better and get a consistent shot. He also needs to stop his risky passes. Rebounds will go up with Tyrese gone as well.

Sanogo is where he needs to be. Don't see major improvement other than giving him time to rest. Passing out of doubles / triples. If he can get a consistent mid range that now is POY talk.

Hawkins has shown flashes. Still can't handle, confidence is all over the place at times. Hasn't become defenses focus when he is on the court.

Those three have alot of potential but need to put in the work. The opportunity is there this year for all three of them.

Reaction Score
I mean there's usually 35-40 rebounds up for grabs a game, there's more than enough room for AJax to grab 10 with our current roster build.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think we'll see a lot better Andre Jackson this year off the simple fact he won't be deferring to Tyrese and Cole most of the time. It's on him now. That and the fact that this team will be much better at moving the ball and finding guys.

This feels similar to 2010 season going into 2011 season. Not saying Cole and Martin are Dyson and Sticks or that AJ is Kemba, but just a similar feel.

Reaction Score
If we are playing “small” I think there’s a chance he grabs double digit rebounds per game. I could see finals stats being something silly like 12ppg, 10 rebounds, 4.5 assists and close to 2 steals. He needs to attack and be more selfish. Try to dunk on people and get fouled. I think this year he improves from a good defender to an excellent defender.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If his offense doesn't improve at all - which is extremely unlikely - he'll still be starting. He'd basically be our version of Leaky Black on UNC. He's a defensive wizard (EvanMiya says that Jackson was actually better defensively last year) but not really a threat on offense. They surrounded Leaky with 2 very good guards, a 4 that can shoot from 3, and Bacot. We can basically do the same thing with Newton, Hawkins, Alleyne/Johnson/Karaban, and Sanogo. But that is a worst case scenario...and Jackson is already a better all around player than Leaky is and he's 3 years younger
Yes, I actually agree. It really depends on him and everybody else. Simply saying if he doesn't step up, it should be on the table. I fully expect him to be much better scoring around the rim.

Reaction Score
I mean there's usually 35-40 rebounds up for grabs a game, there's more than enough room for AJax to grab 10 with our current roster build.

There were only 4 high-major players in the country to average 10 or more RPG last year. The likelihood of this happening is very, very small... like, close to ridiculous. Adding 3.2 RPG with minimal minutes per game gained (he was already at 30mpg) is exceedingly unlikely. Particularly with someone like Sanogo also on the roster who is a vacuum on the boards too.

Reaction Score
What are Jackson's off-season plans? Have they been discussed or written about?

Reaction Score
When is the last time a UConn player averaged 10 rebounds for a full season? I'm guessing Okafor and Thabeet?

Reaction Score
When is the last time a UConn player averaged 10 rebounds for a full season? I'm guessing Okafor and Thabeet?
Yup.

Thabeet 10.8 in '08-09.
Okafor 11.5 in '03-04.

Jeff Adrien never even averaged 10 rb a game despite playing 33+ minutes. He was in the 9s 3x. It's tough to do. I don't expect Jackson to do it either, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's 8+ (a jump from 6.8 this year).

Reaction Score
He has to create offense by attacking the rim to get layups, draw fouls, or kick to an open teammate.

Otherwise he's a net negative at that end of the floor.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
I said it last year, he's the most exciting player in the country...still is.

If he ever had a jump shot he would be the #1 overall pick. If that doesn't get fixed, it will be a repeat of last year, same numbers and impact.

Reaction Score
What is Andre Jackson’s ceiling? Averaging a triple double? My guess:

16 PPG 10 RPG 7.5 APG 1.5 SPG 1.5 BPG

Reaction Score
Finish at the rim, shoot off the dribble. I'm sure he's putting in a ridiculous amount of work to improve both of those. He needs to be a 10ppg or more scorer if we want to reach our potential. SO MUCH is on his shoulders this off-season.
I'm more interested in the camps, national teams and summer leagues he playing in or trying out for.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom