A'ja Wilson's play. | The Boneyard

A'ja Wilson's play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I liked her. She did some good things. Last night I saw the game in a sports bar because I am too cheap to spring for cable or satellite but tonight I watched it again all from the start and I spent the whole time watching A'ja when she was in the game. Twenty two minutes, 10 points, 6 rebounds and 2 assists with one turnover I have to rate as pretty good.

In the first half she spent all her offensive time out by the three point line kind of by the left corner. I am not a basketball genius and I am not questioning Staley but A'ja just accomplished nothing over there. Most of the time the ball went to the other side and the shot was taken from that side irrespective of the distance. Does anyone have any thoughts on this offensive alignment?

In the second half she played inside and did better but it seemed to me that she lacked the muscle to bang with Stewart or Tuck and that she was a step slower than Tuck who is pretty fast for a big player.

Anyone else have any comments?

Reaction Score
That's funny because I thought the same about her not being in the best shape, but she did get things accomplished anyways. But you could tell uconn was in better shape than most of their girls. She also seemed to move robotic. By the time she is a junior look out.

Reaction Score
I found myself comparing her mentally with Duke's Azura Stevens, I'm much more taken with Stevens. But it's just one game.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Junior??? I think A'ja will arrive by mid-season next year. She is a special player and Staley will have a franchise player to build around for the next 3 years. She is the kind of player that can turn a program around...because her presence on South Carolina will be seen after she is gone by the recruits that Dawn was able to recruit because she had A'ja. Let's face it, she is one who got away that most of us here will continue to wish she hadn't.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Aja is a special player and she is only gonna get better.

With that said, my NFOY is without a doubt Brianna Turner.

Ok... im curious as to why Turner is without a doubt your NFOY ?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
triaddukefan said:
Ok... im curious as to why Turner is without a doubt your NFOY ?

For me, she has put up better numbers and has looked better. Stevens and Kelsey Mitchell would be after that. But again, just my 2cents.

Lucky for everyone, I'm not a voter ;-)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A'ja is an excellent athlete. A'ja does not have guard skills. She needs to give up that myth. Smaller faster guards would eat her up if she attempts to defend them on the perimeter. On her offensive end she is too strong for smaller players and too quick for many bigger players. Against UCONN and other well coached defensive teams she will be frustrated unless she learns to give up the ball to the open player. Against teams without the ability to counter her size and without quality help defense she will have great games.

There is a reason she is coming off the bench. She has a lot of maturing to do. She needs to listen to her coaching about playing in the 4-5. She struck me as having a long, lumbering gate which prevents her from being quick enough to handle players like Stewart and Tuck. She is a normal freshman who needs a great deal more conditioning to go with her natural attributes. She got tired trying to keep up with UCONN.

She has great potential but it is largely unrealized and needs time and good coaching which Dawn can give to become the whole package.

Reaction Score
I liked her. She did some good things. Last night I saw the game in a sports bar because I am too cheap to spring for cable or satellite but tonight I watched it again all from the start and I spent the whole time watching A'ja when she was in the game. Twenty two minutes, 10 points, 6 rebounds and 2 assists with one turnover I have to rate as pretty good.

In the first half she spent all her offensive time out by the three point line kind of by the left corner. I am not a basketball genius and I am not questioning Staley but A'ja just accomplished nothing over there. Most of the time the ball went to the other side and the shot was taken from that side irrespective of the distance. Does anyone have any thoughts on this offensive alignment?

In the second half she played inside and did better but it seemed to me that she lacked the muscle to bang with Stewart or Tuck and that she was a step slower than Tuck who is pretty fast for a big player.

Anyone else have any comments?
As much as you spend on drinks and food at a sports bar you could afford cable and have money left over. Get to watch any game you want to also!

Reaction Score
A'ja is an excellent athlete. A'ja does not have guard skills. She needs to give up that myth. Smaller faster guards would eat her up if she attempts to defend them on the perimeter. On her offensive end she is too strong for smaller players and too quick for many bigger players. Against UCONN and other well coached defensive teams she will be frustrated unless she learns to give up the ball to the open player. Against teams without the ability to counter her size and without quality help defense she will have great games.

There is a reason she is coming off the bench. She has a lot of maturing to do. She needs to listen to her coaching about playing in the 4-5. She struck me as having a long, lumbering gate which prevents her from being quick enough to handle players like Stewart and Tuck. She is a normal freshman who needs a great deal more conditioning to go with her natural attributes. She got tired trying to keep up with UCONN.

She has great potential but it is largely unrealized and needs time and good coaching which Dawn can give to become the whole package.
Tell me about it. Having a more mobile, athletic 4 with a midrange shot can be a tremendous blessing, I'm not sure why she's not embracing it.

Reaction Score
As much as you spend on drinks and food at a sports bar you could afford cable and have money left over. Get to watch any game you want to also!
I don't go all that often!

Reaction Score
I've seen her play a number of times in the Myrtle Beach Tournament, including the one where she scored 69 points. After 67 she got dumped on her head twice, which is why she doesn't like to play underneath. The play was to lob her the ball and she scores. Period. On the break she looked like a taller Diamond DeShields. She never took a three. The talent is there. Dawn Staley will find it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
On the break she looked like a taller Diamond DeShields. She never took a three. The talent is there. Dawn Staley will find it.
Was this in slow motion?

Wilson is athletic for a girl her size. But strength and skill are not the same as athleticism. She's not as athletic as Tuck or Stokes or Williams, and none of them I would say are as athletic as Deshields. Now if you were to have replaced "Wilson" with "Turner" in your sentence, it would have made sense. Turner is like a gazelle.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Aja is a special player and she is only gonna get better.

With that said, my NFOY is without a doubt Brianna Turner.
You obviously haven't seen Kelsey Mitchell from tOSU , in case you didn't know she leads the nation in scoring.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
You obviously haven't seen Kelsey Mitchell from tOSU , in case you didn't know she leads the nation in scoring.

I actually did know that, but thanks. I live in Chicago and watch the BTN network regularly. I have seen Kelsey play and I still pick Brianna Turner.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
For me, she has put up better numbers and has looked better. Stevens and Kelsey Mitchell would be after that. But again, just my 2cents.

Lucky for everyone, I'm not a voter ;-)

Actually the numbers of Stevens and Turner are pretty much equal in terms of scoring and rebounds. Stevens has the better outside shot... Turner has alot more blocks... but she plays the PF while Stevens is used primarily as a SF.

Turner will get ACC rookie of the year without a doubt....... She has won ROW honors more times than Stevens.... and I think Stevens and Greenwell will split some of the votes. Interestingly..... Stevens, Turner, and Mitchell have all won the USBWA Freshman of the Week award twice each... Stevens won it again this week.

I look forward to seeing them both play Monday night..... and they both wear #11.

Reaction Score
Was this in slow motion?

Wilson is athletic for a girl her size. But strength and skill are not the same as athleticism. She's not as athletic as Tuck or Stokes or Williams, and none of them I would say are as athletic as Deshields. Now if you were to have replaced "Wilson" with "Turner" in your sentence, it would have made sense. Turner is like a gazelle.
Geno was there, in the bleachers. He was there for the athleticism. A'Ja doesn't show it now because she's trying to figure out where she fits in, and it isn't standing at the 3-point line. Eventually she will decide that she has to mix it up inside a little bit, or she's going to be left behind.

Reaction Score
So she got banged up pretty good underneath? That makes some sense as to why she seems very careful under the basket. Not one to mix it up for sure at this point, but could well be in the future.

Reaction Score
I thought A'ja was decent on offense, especially when she was positioned where she was best. She wasn't always in the best spot for offense; that will come with time as she begins to understand where her skills are best utilized on a college court.

Defensively she was a little overwhelmed at times. Defending the likes of Stewie is a tough ask for anyone, let alone a frosh. She should study this game, in particular how Stewart played on both sides of the ball. Stewart is more battled tested, and much further along in understanding how to use her gifts as a tall, mobile forward.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Was this in slow motion?

She's a freshman. She'll be fine.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
She's a freshman. She'll be fine.
Not sure of your point. Never said she wouldn't be fine. :)

For the record I think she's a terrific talent. She's big, strong, and mobile. Has the potential to be a really terrific post/forward player. Maybe she has expanded skills, but that is something we've not seen and probably needs to be developed more. Wish we'd landed her!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom