Aidan Mahaney | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Aidan Mahaney

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Who is Norwell? I think you mean Nowell! LOL!
Let’s just randomly make up names for players and then we can try and guess who they are talking about. We kinda do that already anyway.

Reaction Score
Is the Shulga talk real? Think I’ve only seen it here.

Selfishly, I want him more than Mahaney. It would be special for me (and even more so for my mom) to have a Ukrainian on the team (not discounting AK, but Shulga’s actually from Kyiv).

Rationally, I’ll obviously take whoever Hurley sees as the higher priority, and that appears to be Mahaney. Man, we’re gonna be good again next year.

Reaction Score
Just worried about there being enough playing time for Norwell and Steward
By now, I’m fairly certain everyone on the team knows we are recruiting Mahaney and Brea. Yes, Solo and Stewart too. And they know there is a possibility both commit. And guess what? They aren’t in the portal. Sleep easy tonight my man.

Reaction Score
Just worried about there being enough playing time for Norwell and Steward
Steward will play a ton and probably start. I think Norwell will take a little time, it's a tough transition for a point guard. McNealon is so good he's going to start. Sampson will battle it out for starting center. I really want Mahoney, he's that third ballhandler the team needs and he breaks people down. I'm really going to miss Tristan and Spenser, they were hands down the best backcourt in the country.

Reaction Score
So are you saying nobody on the current roster can be one of those options?
Not in the staff's view. In this case, someone with experience to share time with Ball when UConn is not playing big and is PG capable (third ballhandler).

Or however the staff defines the "role." I don't know what they are envisioning for the 2024/2025 roster.

Reaction Score
Steward will play a ton and probably start. I think Norwell will take a little time, it's a tough transition for a point guard. McNealon is so good he's going to start. Sampson will battle it out for starting center. I really want Mahoney, he's that third ballhandler the team needs and he breaks people down. I'm really going to miss Tristan and Spenser, they were hands down the best backcourt in the country.
Who is steward, Norwell, and McNealon? This is just getting stupid , go watch Netflix

Reaction Score
The portal will make things different, no question. I just don’t see it as problematic. Maybe it means in the future a Ross goes to Dayton where he can transfer to the Big East after 3 years. This isn’t a problem for the universe of college basketball players.
I feel we're over thinking all this. There's a lot of talented ballers entering college each year. Some are more ready physically and next-step ready than others. Ross, who you brought up is an excellent example. Maybe he gets more PT as an under classman elsewhere if the coaching is solid. Then by his junior or senior year (or 5th year in the case due to the extra post pandemic thing) he's a plug and play high level contributor for a top 25 team or the highest bidder.

As much as it seems Hurley knows how to work with this new CBB reality, it's horrible in so many ways. For the coaches it's now 24/7 360 recruiting burnout. Programs are struggling to restock their teams. Many programs will struggle with a lack of continuity. Mid-majors and lower-half (probably some upper level as well) high major conference programs that were hopeful for a nice run the following year are getting their best players pillaged from their rosters, and the fans of these programs are having their hopes dashed. Instead of some Cinderella program (or even an up and coming major conference program that isn't usually atop their conference) running most of their roster back for another successful and exciting season, they're back to rebuilding.

Not sure what can be done to make this player movement and NIL opportunity, which in principle I don't have a problem with and should have been instituted in a better way years ago. I think coming up with multi-year contracts so there's not as much movement with some exceptions such as coaching changes and being released by the program when it's mutual.

For now the era of programs developing underclassman who didn't get starters minutes (some little PT at all) to get their chance to start and shine for the same team they started with will be a rarity. The same goes for the non-blue blood programs poised to run back another surprise successful season will likely be also a rarity.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Couldn’t work Clingon in there?

Reaction Score
I don’t know what’s worse: that you posted this you read superjohn’s and my posts, or that you didn’t even catch the other obvious misspelling.
I don't think I read them. I just noticed a lot of people misspelling his names in threads. I didn't know you were making a play on it. Chill man.

Reaction Score
Couldn’t work Clingon in there?
I'm really going to miss Kling Kong.

180626121052-star-trek-worf-01.jpg

Reaction Score
Glad you decided to misspell Spencer's last name and not his first.

Reaction Score
I feel we're over thinking all this. There's a lot of talented ballers entering college each year. Some are more ready physically and next-step ready than others. Ross, who you brought up is an excellent example. Maybe he gets more PT as an under classman elsewhere if the coaching is solid. Then by his junior or senior year (or 5th year in the case due to the extra post pandemic thing) he's a plug and play high level contributor for a top 25 team or the highest bidder.

As much as it seems Hurley knows how to work with this new CBB reality, it's horrible in so many ways. For the coaches it's now 24/7 360 recruiting burnout. Programs are struggling to restock their teams. Many programs will struggle with a lack of continuity. Mid-majors and lower-half (probably some upper level as well) high major conference programs that were hopeful for a nice run the following year are getting their best players pillaged from their rosters, and the fans of these programs are having their hopes dashed. Instead of some Cinderella program (or even an up and coming major conference program that isn't usually atop their conference) running most of their roster back for another successful and exciting season, they're back to rebuilding.

Not sure what can be done to make this player movement and NIL opportunity, which in principle I don't have a problem with and should have been instituted in a better way years ago. I think coming up with multi-year contracts so there's not as much movement with some exceptions such as coaching changes and being released by the program when it's mutual.

For now the era of programs developing underclassman who didn't get starters minutes (some little PT at all) to get their chance to start and shine for the same team they started with will be a rarity. The same goes for the non-blue blood programs poised to run back another surprise successful season will likely be also a rarity.
Agreed: see Seton Hall (high major) and Indiana State (Cinderella mid major).
"Mid-majors and lower-half (probably some upper level as well) high major conference programs that were hopeful for a nice run the following year are getting their best players pillaged from their rosters, and the fans of these programs are having their hopes dashed. Instead of some Cinderella program (or even an up and coming major conference program that isn't usually atop their conference) running most of their roster back for another successful and exciting season, they're back to rebuilding."

Disagree: Though most coaches hate it, some will benefit from reducing the multi-year exhausting work of recruiting kids from a young age. Now, it's more transactional (however "gross" it may seem to some): NIL, weekend campus visit, brand name of school, coaching philosophy, plan to get recruit to NBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom