Aidan Mahaney | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Aidan Mahaney

Status
Not open for further replies.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Isn’t Brea the Joey California role of this team?

If Alex comes back it has to be

DIARRA/Norwell
MAHANEY/Ball/Brea
MCNEELEY/Brea-Stewart
KARABAN/Stewart/Abraham
REED/Johnson/Singare

If Norwell can play the 09 Kemba role and both Johnson and Stewart improve, this team is a legit contender and should be ranked #1 to start the season

It will take time to gel and understand rotations but there isn’t a lineup/matchup we can’t counter and attack

22/23 was a different champion than 23/24

24/25 will be a different champion than either

yeah i no longer have any worries about Mahaney, or any player this start is targeting for that matter. at the time of that post i was underestimating that the staff could pull all 3 of Brea, Mulhaney, McNeeley. It’s incredible. Stairway to Seven

Reaction Score
Was eating great surf and turf, with some fire au gratin potatoes, while they took him to this spot in Lexington. The latter has the making of a club sandwich. View attachment 100138
Looks like Pope is checking his cell phone for the Otega Oweh commit news. Wonder if that takes Aidan out of play for them since they also have Lamont Butler

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
yeah i no longer have any worries about Mahaney, or any player this start is targeting for that matter. at the time of that post i was underestimating that the staff could pull all 3 of Brea, Mulhaney, McNeeley. It’s incredible. Stairway to Seven
*staff

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The way to look at it is that a theoretical player who agreed to sit for two years at UConn and hope to develop enough skills to earn playing time now has opportunities to get out of this commitment.

Maybe he decides he doesn't want to wait two years and can now transfer. Or maybe he doesn't make the progress necessary to earn playing time after two years, he can now leave and go somewhere else.

As long as the coaches are honest where he stands, he can make the best choice for himself.

UConn is certainly changing where it stands in the recruiting landscape. And it is going to harder and harder for the non-top 50 prospect to come here and breakthrough. I personally admire the guys willing to come in and challenge themselves - to potentially get themselves a professional career. And it is nice that they now can do so without risking never seeing the court if they fail to meet those challenges.
I agree with that. This freshman class (Castle, Ross etc) had all committed before the portal went totally batty last year. If McNeely is as good as his resume, he might be in a better spot than say Abraham. I hope I’m around long enough to find out.

Reaction Score
It’s not about him. It’s about giving current UConn players a chance to get into the portal if they feel they have been recruited over or Hurley tells them their playing time is going to be taken by a transfer in.
Well they see him recruiting Mahaney now. That’s all they need to know if that’s what they’re worried about

Reaction Score
The real point here is that kids like Ross probably had some expectation of getting a decent chance by soph season. Yeah, of course kids have to want to compete for time, but it gets to be a bit harder when the competition is suddenly guys who have 2-3 years of experience at another school, experience he might never get a chance at at UConn now. Might not be nearly an even playing field. I’m sure some of the posters who want every good portal player called last year’s class the second coming of the Fab Five. I’m not against UConn getting these potentially important transfers, but it remains to be seen if that makes some hs recruits think twice. But pro ball gonna be pro ball.
Ross has a chance. He doesn’t have to beat out AJ or Castle for playing time. Just players coming into the program who are good players but who have not played at anywhere near a national championship level. If he’s not good enough to beat them out, he gets to select whether he wants to stay and be out of the rotation or go somewhere else. No college is promising players they will be getting minutes there second year regardless of how good they are.

Reaction Score
It’s not about him. It’s about giving current UConn players a chance to get into the portal if they feel they have been recruited over or Hurley tells them their playing time is going to be taken by a transfer in.
UConn is finding someone to fill that role (if it isn't Mahaney, it is Shulga, and if it isn't Shulga, it is...). The current players know - were told - that UConn is finding someone for that role and have known this since their post-season exit meeting.

A. There is no time crunch that UConn is up against.
B. Players who enter the portal are allowed to return to their old team.

Reaction Score
Yes, but i think the idea is that we get everyone in and hopefully decided by then so that anyone on our current roster who wants to enter the portal can make that decision before the 5/1 cutoff date.
That is awesome respect to the guys... Again why DH and staff are loved by the players

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Ross has a chance. He doesn’t have to beat out AJ or Castle for playing time. Just players coming into the program who are good players but who have not played at anywhere near a national championship level. If he’s not good enough to beat them out, he gets to select whether he wants to stay and be out of the rotation or go somewhere else. No college is promising players they will be getting minutes there second year regardless of how good they are.
I don’t say he doesn’t have a chance. And he is just a convenient example I’m saying his road is possibly more difficult than it might have been even 3-4 years ago because guys who might be no better than he have transferred in from lesser programs where they got a load of playing time and game experience and may well have a significant leg up compared to competing against an incoming freshman. I’m also saying going forward that we don’t know what impact if any the portal will have both on how hs kids choose and how programs offer. Obviously it will vary from program to program.

Reaction Score
I don’t say he doesn’t have a chance. And he is just a convenient example I’m saying his road is possibly more difficult than it might have been even 3-4 years ago because guys who might be no better than he have transferred in from lesser programs where they got a load of playing time and game experience and may well have a significant leg up compared to competing against an incoming freshman. I’m also saying going forward that we don’t know what impact if any the portal will have both on how hs kids choose and how programs offer. Obviously it will vary from program to program.
That’s true. But it’s also true that players have always been recruited over by incoming frosh and JUCOs, and that the way those players get playing time is to go to a lesser school (which is also now easier). And there will be players on some schools that get playing time because players in front of them head to greener pastures who wouldn’t have before the portal.

Ultimately, the same number of young men will be college starters and college rotation players with or without a portal. Some will benefit from the new ease of moving, some won’t.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
That’s true. But it’s also true that players have always been recruited over by incoming frosh and JUCOs, and that the way those players get playing time is to go to a lesser school (which is also now easier). And there will be players on some schools that get playing time because players in front of them head to greener pastures who wouldn’t have before the portal.

Ultimately, the same number of young men will be college starters and college rotation players with or without a portal. Some will benefit from the new ease of moving, some won’t.
I agree. But the overall skill level of portal guys the last few years compared to JUCO is not in the same universe. I agree that a kid can find a place to be a key player. But I am saying the kid who might have picked our program as lets say a top 75 hs kid might now decide to try and be the kid who goes to Dayton, East Carolina or Dayton and maybe portal out eventually. Do you disagree that top tier programs will opt to fill voids with top portal players at least if they don’t get what they want out of a freshman class? And on how that impacts players already in the program? The competition to be nationally relevant is pretty fierce at the top as conference consolidation shows. Hurley will do what he needs to do to keep us in the discussion not to mention the entitlement that half the BY thinks we have to be the top dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom