Aidan Mahaney | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Aidan Mahaney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Right! I feel like people are forgetting McNeeley is a freshman himself. It may be 3 at the end of the day but its far from an overhaul either way

It's not the number of transfers that concerns some of us. We have previously brought in transfers when we didn't have players on the roster to fill gaps. This year we do. Granted they are sophomores, but even if they havent played in games much, they have practiced for a year at the top level with top coaches and know our system. If Diarra and Karaban stay, they (and even Johnson) provide the stability and floor experience, and they and the sophs provide the culture continuity. I agree we need one more ball handling guard as backup, but I don't think we need two unless one or both of those two leave.

Reaction Score
This has become the 'dumbest" thread ever on the BY. My brain hurts.
IMG_8316.gif

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
So what was your point? That Hurley should not try to bring in Brea and Mahaney, and risk the chance to 3peat, so Ross can play 10mpg as a soph?
Nope. That kids like Ross might decide as hs recruits that the portal potential is enticing because at some schools as opposed to others the chance to show your stuff early on might be preferable. That at UConn you might be not just recruited over out of incoming freshmen, but out of kids who went to a bit less competitive program first, maybe under recruited, and got the opportunity to show earlier. Remember, Ross’s class a bunch of people called the Fab 5, which was bound to be silly. So the best of the 5 is gone after one year, Stewart looks like maybe the real deal, Ball shows lots of potential, Ross did show early signs but there eventually were too many bodies who are very good and experienced in front of him, and Singare who might be the next Springs. Ross is merely an example. Obviously we are using the portal great.

Reaction Score
It's not the number of transfers that concerns some of us. We have previously brought in transfers when we didn't have players on the roster to fill gaps. This year we do. Granted they are sophomores, but even if they havent played in games much, they have practiced for a year at the top level with top coaches and know our system. If Diarra and Karaban stay, they (and even Johnson) provide the stability and floor experience, and they and the sophs provide the culture continuity. I agree we need one more ball handling guard as backup, but I don't think we need two unless one or both of those two leave.
I appreciate this. But the goal is to build a national championship contender, not to completely bank on the best case scenario of our existing underclassmen making the massive jump we expect them to.

Reaction Score
Nope. That kids like Ross might decide as hs recruits that the portal potential is enticing because at some schools as opposed to others the chance to show your stuff early on might be preferable. That at UConn you might be not just recruited over out of incoming freshmen, but out of kids who went to a bit less competitive program first, maybe under recruited, and got the opportunity to show earlier. Remember, Ross’s class a bunch of people called the Fab 5, which was bound to be silly. So the best of the 5 is gone after one year, Stewart looks like maybe the real deal, Ball shows lots of potential, Ross did show early signs but there eventually were too many bodies who are very good and experienced in front of him, and Singare who might be the next Springs. Ross is merely an example. Obviously we are using the portal great.
I understand what you've been saying, and it's a reasonable thing to worry about.
I will say:
1. Ross said when he committed that he knew it would take a couple years for him to develop. You can go back and watch his interview with ?Finklestein.
2. Im 100% sure that DH has had conversations with all of the players and they knew where they were, who we were looking at, and what they would need to do to ensure PT (and how much to expect). DH is not a scumbag. He's not secretly recruiting over guys. He's also doing it before 5/1 so if a player wants to, they can enter the portal if they wish.

Reaction Score
These “new” and I consider last years guys too still new because of lack of play, need floor time and a chance to develop, learn, make an error or 2 to get to their true potential.
It’s a juggling act for Hurley.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I understand what you've been saying, and it's a reasonable thing to worry about.
I will say:
1. Ross said when he committed that he knew it would take a couple years for him to develop. You can go back and watch his interview with ?Finklestein.
2. Im 100% sure that DH has had conversations with all of the players and they knew where they were, who we were looking at, and what they would need to do to ensure PT (and how much to expect). DH is not a scumbag. He's not secretly recruiting over guys. He's also doing it before 5/1 so if a player wants to, they can enter the portal if they wish.
I actually don’t worry about it. Just an observation. I like UConn, have since before most here were born. I certainly am not in love with the professionalizing of college sports, but it is what it is.

Reaction Score
That seems like a leap. In Hurley's motion offense the 1 through 4 all handle the ball a lot. Having a bunch of interchangeable players who can handle and score allows for a lot of PT to be earned each game.
You still need more than one guy who cannot be trapped or pressured. Im comfortable with Diarra and Nowell, but if you lose one of these, you absolutely must find another one that can take over point guard duties.

Reaction Score
A little worried about his size unless Solo can win the starting 2 role and Mahaney comes off the bench in more of a Joey California role. Kid is a winner though. I’m sure he’d love to see Gonzaga at MSG this year

Isn’t Brea the Joey California role of this team?

If Alex comes back it has to be

DIARRA/Norwell
MAHANEY/Ball/Brea
MCNEELEY/Brea-Stewart
KARABAN/Stewart/Abraham
REED/Johnson/Singare

If Norwell can play the 09 Kemba role and both Johnson and Stewart improve, this team is a legit contender and should be ranked #1 to start the season

It will take time to gel and understand rotations but there isn’t a lineup/matchup we can’t counter and attack

22/23 was a different champion than 23/24

24/25 will be a different champion than either

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Isn’t Brea the Joey California role of this team?

If Alex comes back it has to be

DIARRA/Norwell
MAHANEY/Ball/Brea
MCNEELEY/Brea-Stewart
KARABAN/Stewart/Abraham
REED/Johnson/Singare

If Norwell can play the 09 Kemba role and both Johnson and Stewart improve, this team is a legit contender and should be ranked #1 to start the season

It will take time to gel and understand rotations but there isn’t a lineup/matchup we can’t counter and attack

22/23 was a different champion than 23/24

24/25 will be a different champion than either

Next question: who is Norwell?

Reaction Score
You still need more than one guy who cannot be trapped or pressured. Im comfortable with Diarra and Nowell, but if you lose one of these, you absolutely must find another one that can take over point guard duties.
This is true even more so if AK does not come back since he could handle too and had a quick release pass to the frontcourt to break the press.

Reaction Score
I actually don’t worry about it. Just an observation. I like UConn, have since before most here were born. I certainly am not in love with the professionalizing of college sports, but it is what it is.
The way to look at it is that a theoretical player who agreed to sit for two years at UConn and hope to develop enough skills to earn playing time now has opportunities to get out of this commitment.

Maybe he decides he doesn't want to wait two years and can now transfer. Or maybe he doesn't make the progress necessary to earn playing time after two years, he can now leave and go somewhere else.

As long as the coaches are honest where he stands, he can make the best choice for himself.

UConn is certainly changing where it stands in the recruiting landscape. And it is going to harder and harder for the non-top 50 prospect to come here and breakthrough. I personally admire the guys willing to come in and challenge themselves - to potentially get themselves a professional career. And it is nice that they now can do so without risking never seeing the court if they fail to meet those challenges.

Reaction Score
The “Play Defense or Sit” mantra is a great motivator. Joey C could not play defense when he got here but learned fast. Diarra’s play time has correlated with his defensive play. Same with Stewart.
Mahaney will have to learn D. His defense was sub par this year. Ending up getting subbed out many times because he couldn't handle more athletic guards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom