Aidan Mahaney | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Aidan Mahaney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mahaney vs P5 or ranked teams this year (6 games)

19.6 PPG
1.8 RPG
2.2 APG

1.8 TO
0.2 BLK
1.2 STL

41% 2FG (7.3 attempts)
39% 3FG (7.3 attempts)
92% FT (2.0 attempts)

Brea vs P5 or ranked teams:

10.2 PPG
4.0 RPG
2.0 APG

1.0 TO
0.4 BLK
0.6 STL

60% (1 attempt)
50% (5.2 attempts)
86% (1.4 attempts)

Reaction Score
The Irish surname Mahaney is an anglicized form of the Gaelic name Ó Mathghamhna meaning “descendant of Mathghamhain,” a name meaning “good calf.” Mathghamhain, forefather of the great Mahoney clan, was the son of Cian and Sadhbh (daughter of Brian Boru, 4th Century High King of Ireland).

Of royal descent?

Reaction Score
Mahanney shot 38% this year - what are we talking about here?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Tristen Newton show 35% from the field as a sophomore. There is more to evaluating a player than looking at stats, and there is a lot of growth to go at that age. Not saying Mahaney is ever going to be close to the player Newton was, but it's also pointless to write off a kid that the staff sees something in.

Reaction Score
Mahaney is a better player.

You’re also getting him for two years as opposed to one for Brea. Gotta also be a smidge concerned with Brea’s injury history - he has rods inserted into both tibias.

If given the choice, I might lean toward Brea. I think he'd be more likely to accept coming off the bench as an instant offense guy. Mahaney might be looking for starters minutes, which could cause problems with our returning guys. Either way McNeeley is the key.

Reaction Score
For reference Newton had a 49.5% eFG and Mahaney’s was 48.2% (51.5% last year). He took a larger percentage of his team’s shots than any UConn player did this year. I think once he gets his volume in check on a deeper team, he will see his efficiency increase. I wouldn’t expect him to be as good as Newton or Spencer, but he would probably project as the best offensive guard on the team next year.

Reaction Score
When I read about the upcoming visit, I went back and watched the NCAA tournament game against St Mary's last season. Andre Jackson was given the assignment of guarding Mahaney, Dan certainly thinks Maheney is a player.

Reaction Score
Mahaney vs P5 or ranked teams this year (6 games)

19.6 PPG
1.8 RPG
2.2 APG

1.8 TO
0.2 BLK
1.2 STL

41% 2FG (7.3 attempts)
39% 3FG (7.3 attempts)
92% FT (2.0 attempts)

Brea vs P5 or ranked teams:

10.2 PPG
4.0 RPG
2.0 APG

1.0 TO
0.4 BLK
0.6 STL

60% (1 attempt)
50% (5.2 attempts)
86% (1.4 attempts)
Give me the Scottsman!!!

Reaction Score
Outside of year one fill in transfers (which were brought on basically to fill out the roster) here’s who he’s brought in via transfers.

RJ Cole, Tyrese Martin, Tristen Newton, Nahiem Alleyne, Joey California, Hassan Diarra, Cam Spencer

Literally not a single miss in there. Multiple all conference guys, All American, NBA draft pick in Martin, sixth man of the year etc etc. They’ve proven over that 4 year stretch they know how to find talent and integrate it into their system. Can’t really name a guy who left who made a major impact somewhere else either.
Josh Carlton

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If given the choice, I might lean toward Brea. I think he'd be more likely to accept coming off the bench as an instant offense guy. Mahaney might be looking for starters minutes, which could cause problems with our returning guys. Either way McNeeley is the key.

I lean towards the better player because he’s the better player.

Reaction Score
If only there was a guy who was in charge and capable of making these executive decisions?

Although I am of the opinion that there is no choice to be made. It isn't either/or. This theoretical guy in charge should act as if those not committed to returning aren't returning (but the theoretical guy would know the wisdom of such an outlook better than I).

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Dauster seems to think this kid is next level. He’s been pumping him a bunch.

Reaction Score
Assuming everyone who we think is staying stays (eg Ball, Stewart, SJ, Diarra),
With Karaban, Maheny, Brea, and McNeely if we
1 of these guys on next year’s team - we have a sweet 16 team
2 of these guys …elite 8 or final 4 team
3 of these guys … championship caliber team

I don’t see a scenario where we would get all 4.

Reaction Score
I don’t see a scenario where we would get all 4.
UConn operates under the assumption that Karaban declared for the draft, because they truly believe he is gone.

UConn picks up McNeeley, Mahaney, and Brea.

Karaban sprains his knee/ankle, whatever and withdraws from the draft.

Edit to say: This would not be my preferred outcome. I wish Alex the best in all his future endeavors.

Reaction Score
When I read about the upcoming visit, I went back and watched the NCAA tournament game against St Mary's last season. Andre Jackson was given the assignment of guarding Mahaney, Dan certainly thinks Maheney is a player.
I like this kid. He brings subtleties - if you watch enough film of him. McNeely is terrific. I want want both. Others show terrific promise Pryor, Brea, etc… This staff knows far better than me - I’m just a fan. It often comes to mind (years ago) when many were saying Danny was the wrong choice. I thought otherwise - but, he has exceeded my expectations I must admit. What I did believe - was that he had tremendous support behind him - and that kept sticking out (to me). JC, his dad, east coast connections, etc… I’m overjoyed with where DH has taken the program. He started to say things that sound like JC - to me. (You better get us now - we’re coming.) He wasn’t kidding. I still remember in 99’ when JC said something after the Stanford game. (We’re pretty good.) He knew what he was talking about. Thumping Stanford in Palo Alto was a statement of proof. He knew ‘stuff’ we didn’t know - but we wanted to believe. DH exhibits a little bit of that - which I like. So, UCONN ‘runs’ CBB? Interesting. I trust this staff to make better decisions I could ever dream to make. The sophistication of the offense needs to be observed. One day, Tristan is going to wake up (if he hasn’t already) - and think about the situation he was in right after he played his last game in a ECU uniform. ‘What the heck just happened?’ And… really think about the phone call that came from UCONN shortly thereafter. As one gets older - we reflect on many things we have witnessed. This entire story is pretty special. JC (and his support) was at the core of: pushing the little snowball down the hill. It’s mildly out of control now. :) Geno - also started a small snowball as well. :) Jay Bilas (like him or not) is right. Subsequently, throwing dirt on the ‘tobacco roads’ of the world. (Honest dude) Enjoy how special this all is… 17 NC’s since 1995. Dang.

Reaction Score
UConn operates under the assumption that Karaban declared for the draft, because they truly believe he is gone.

UConn picks up McNeeley, Mahaney, and Brea.

Karaban sprains his knee/ankle, whatever and withdraws from the draft.

Edit to say: This would not be my preferred outcome. I wish Alex the best in all his future endeavors.
Newton entered the draft process a year ago and returned. Let’s see what happens.

Reaction Score
Newton entered the draft process a year ago and returned. Let’s see what happens.
Newton wasn’t gonna be drafted in really any case. AK will for sure be drafted. Just depends where.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom