2024 Recruiting: - Ahmad Nowell OV 6/8 | Page 20 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Ahmad Nowell OV 6/8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like this national championship will benefit us more than any other one we've won.
It could - we got juice off 2011 with Daniels Drummond Boatright if I’m not mistaken? Although back then we had much more national success the prior decade than this title. The 2023 title should be a nice bump.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It could - we got juice off 2011 with Daniels Drummond Boatright if I’m not mistaken? Although back then we had much more national success the prior decade than this title. The 2023 title should be a nice bump.
I think we got Rudy after 2004. So pretty much if we win a national championship this year we’re guaranteed a top 10 player. Looking at you Flagg.

Reaction Score
For no reason at all was thinking about Sticks today. Still rips the heart thinking about him.
One of a kind.. Uber- athletic.. Who you taking.. Sticks or Andre J for athleticism?? IMO..Tough choice.. Can't go wrong with either dude..

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For no reason at all was thinking about Sticks today. Still rips the heart thinking about him.
Yeah. A lasting memory from the pizza bowl game was an encounter at the beer table. It was just me and my UConn sweatshirt and the young woman making the sale whispered to me she was rooting for UConn. I whispered back "why"? And she said she knew Stanley. And me being the smooth operator I am, said (not in a whisper) "You know Stanley Robinson!" She smiled and nodded. It's tough.

Reaction Score
Checking in y’all. Thanks for everyone for the birthday shout-outs. Fun spending my noon time watching Abraham’s commitment, then headed to my favorite art museum (shout out to the Aldrich) and then sushi dinner at a place that was way too fancy (Oko in Westport) so we paid the tab early and then picked up food from a local favorite (Little Tokyo). Solid day. Bday gift is a stay at The Graduate and a Yardgoats game next week, can’t wait for that.

Anywho, back to Nowell. I’ll sum it up simply:

He seems like a guy who can start anywhere from Day 1.

In that case, should Nowell commit to the Good Guys, I’m picturing a Nowell/Ball starting backcourt from Day 1.

Too soon to tell, obviously, but that thought’s got me giddy.

Reaction Score
UConn had the #1 rated 2000 class (by some) after the 1999 championship. Taliek, Caron, Scott Hazelton (hey, he was a McDonald's AA), etc.
Wasn’t that the year after? I think the first class post championship was Robertson, Cox, Wrenn, etc that wasn’t exactly stellar

Reaction Score
Checking in y’all. Thanks for everyone for the birthday shout-outs. Fun spending my noon time watching Abraham’s commitment, then headed to my favorite art museum (shout out to the Aldrich) and then sushi dinner at a place that was way too fancy (Oko in Westport) so we paid the tab early and then picked up food from a local favorite (Little Tokyo). Solid day. Bday gift is a stay at The Graduate and a Yardgoats game next week, can’t wait for that.

In that case, should Nowell commit to the Good Guys, I’m picturing a Nowell/Ball starting backcourt from Day 1.

Sounds like a great birthday! Really hope you got a scoop or two at Deborah Ann’s after visiting the Aldrich. Ridgefield is such a gem of a town.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t that the year after? I think the first class post championship was Robertson, Cox, Wrenn, etc that wasn’t exactly stellar
I’m guessing that class was probably already final by the time the title was won. You’d spend that summer recruiting for the kids coming in for 2000-2001.

Reaction Score
First crystal ball pick on 247 (Colby Giacubeno)

I feel like as UConn men's college basketball fans we are as lucky as the Green Bay Packers fans going from Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers. I will always regard Jim Calhoun as the greatest program builder that college basketball has ever seen and truly amazing in all aspects of coaching and running an elite Division 1 program ...

But I do not remember feeling THIS confident about our whole recruiting apparatus from top to bottom as I do now, and I have been following recruiting for around 35 years. Obviously Calhoun and co. started and continued getting many great players after The Dream Season of 1989-1990. But I am truly in awe of how great Danny Hurley and staff are at this whole process. When they zero in on a guy and decide he is their man, it does not matter how much he may be leaning toward another school (Examples include: Akok Akok and Andre Jackson - Syracuse and Adama Sanogo - Seton Hall), we become a serious threat and right now almost always close the deal.

Other staffs must HATE to see us coming... and I guarantee even Scheyer and company are secretly cursing that we have gotten involved with Cooper Flagg and have gained momentum. Honestly, at least on this one, give him truth serum and he would admit that he is hating seeing Danny and Co. involved even more than John Calipari. And THAT says it all. :cool:

I love this coaching staff! We are so darn lucky to get someone of the caliber and passion of Hurley in relatively short order after JC (even if the previous 4 to 5 years or so felt like we were in the middle of the Sahara desert with no water in sight. It has made this renaissance that much sweeter!).

Reaction Score
I feel like as UConn men's college basketball fans we are as lucky as the Green Bay Packers fans going from Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers. I will always regard Jim Calhoun as the greatest program builder that college basketball has ever seen and truly amazing in all aspects of coaching and running an elite Division 1 program ...

But I do not remember feeling THIS confident about our whole recruiting apparatus from top to bottom as I do now, and I have been following recruiting for around 35 years. Obviously Calhoun and co. started and continued getting many great players after The Dream Season of 1989-1990. But I am truly in awe of how great Danny Hurley and staff are at this whole process. When they zero in on a guy and decide he is their man, it does not matter how much he may be leaning toward another school (Examples include: Akok Akok and Andre Jackson - Syracuse and Adama Sanogo - Seton Hall), we become a serious threat and right now almost always close the deal.

Other staffs must HATE to see us coming... and I guarantee even Scheyer and company are secretly cursing that we have gotten involved with Cooper Flagg and have gained momentum. Honestly, at least on this one, give him truth serum and he would admit that he is hating seeing Danny and Co. involved even more than John Calipari. And THAT says it all. :cool:

I love this coaching staff! We are so darn lucky to get someone of the caliber and passion of Hurley in relatively short order after JC (even if the previous 4 to 5 years or so felt like we were in the middle of the Sahara desert with no water in sight. It has made this renaissance that much sweeter!).
Dude I’m with ya. It’s nice to sit back, learn a bit from the insiders but just see that group grind. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Nickiiiv

NICKIIIV
Reaction Score
One of a kind.. Uber- athletic.. Who you taking.. Sticks or Andre J for athleticism?? IMO..Tough choice.. Can't go wrong with either dude..
Dre, it took me until this season to finally pick a side. Sticks was athletic, but Dre matches the athleticism and brings NEXT LEVEL intensity.

Reaction Score
UConn the championship in 1999 and that class was 2000 (started school fall of 2000), so they committed in the fall of 1999 and maybe the spring of 2000. Here's the 2000-2001 roster.

UConn won the championship in 2023 and the guys they're getting now are 2024 class. So same thing.

Reaction Score
I’m guessing that class was probably already final by the time the title was won. You’d spend that summer recruiting for the kids coming in for 2000-2001.
Correct. Exactly what I was thinking when I wrote that.

Reaction Score

Well said LStudfellow. I LOVED the Calhoun years & always felt confident in the man's decision-making. I always believed it was the "good old days in real time."

But Danny's successes are right there, especially in recruiting. I have run out of words (juggernaut, stellar?) to describe the effectiveness of strategic approaches. His work with Castle and Stewart were nothing short of brilliant.

If the '24 and '25 classes come together like we believe it can, there is little doubt in my mind he is Top 3 recruiter nationally...and maybe the best given he is not Duke, Kentucky, Kansas or UNC. It gives me chills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom