Ah, I Was Afraid of This Happening | The Boneyard

Ah, I Was Afraid of This Happening

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs Archives: A Look Back At Auriemma On Summitt As Another Of Her Records Looms

Yeah, okay, there is a record that may be tied this weekend but sometimes I get tired of the Summit shade. Does that make me a bad person?
For the longest time the answer to the question "Magic mirror in my hand, who is the fairest in the land?" was always "My Queen, you are the fairest in the land." Then one day there was another.

Pat's shadow has been long indeed. In fact, it was the longest. Then one day there was another.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Look at it this way. At the time she retired she had coached 10 seasons longer than Geno. Even now she still has a five season lead or thereabout. Every record of hers that he breaks now, or anytime within the next five seasons, he achieved in less time than she did. Yes, it's unfortunate that she had to retire when she did due to health reasons, but longevity is one of the things that sets great coaches apart. His final career accomplishments should in no way be diminished by claims that she still would have held certain records if she had gone on coaching for another five or more seasons.

Reaction Score
According to Vol fans, Pat invented basketball and was straight as an arrow when it came to following the rules.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
According to Vol fans, Pat invented basketball and was straight as an arrow when it came to following the rules.
Here's a picture of a bridge I can sell them.

images

Reaction Score
It's hard for me to hold Pat Summitt accountable now, but I still feel she was strongly inappropriate in how she handled losing Maya.

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs Archives: A Look Back At Auriemma On Summitt As Another Of Her Records Looms

Yeah, okay, there is a record that may be tied this weekend but sometimes I get tired of the Summit shade. Does that make me a bad person?

"Bad" isn't the word that comes to mind.

Pat Summitt and her program established these records. Different era or not, they are the primary benchmark by which we measure the success and mastery of the Connecticut program. And as those records continue to be surpassed (demolished?) Connecticut continues to solidify it's position as the greatest women's college basketball program ever. So after this weekend Tennessee fans will have one less claim that they can make, they'll never again be able to say, "Well, anyway, Pat Summitt won more NCAA tournament games than Geno..."

There are a lot of reasons to dislike Pat Summitt, the Lady Volunteers and especially some of their fans, but that doesn't diminish what she and her program did for the sport and the records they set doing it. So put on the big boy pants, give her her due, and move on...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Bad" isn't the word that comes to mind.

Pat Summitt and her program established these records. Different era or not, they are the primary benchmark by which we measure the success and mastery of the Connecticut program. And as those records continue to be surpassed (demolished?) Connecticut continues to solidify it's position as the greatest women's college basketball program ever. So after this weekend Tennessee fans will have one less claim that they can make, they'll never again be able to say, "Well, anyway, Pat Summitt won more NCAA tournament games than Geno..."

There are a lot of reasons to dislike Pat Summitt, the Lady Volunteers and especially some of their fans, but that doesn't diminish what she and her program did for the sport and the records they set doing it. So put on the big boy pants, give her her due, and move on...

Very well written. Hope you feel better for getting that off your chest. I know I did when I wrote mine, knowing full well someone would dump this mud on my head. We can just agree to disagree on this one. Look forward to agreeing with you on something soon. Go Huskies, crush UCLA, but in the spirit of honest competition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom