Advanced Prep Int'l (Preston & Duval) vs Brewster Academy | The Boneyard

Advanced Prep Int'l (Preston & Duval) vs Brewster Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Saw API vs Brewster last night here in San Diego and here are some of my thoughts on some of the players.

API - Billy Preston 6-10 #6 ranked Jr in country, Uconn on list of schools he is considering. Athletically off the charts. Spent a lot of time on the perimeter trying to play like Lebron and has an amazing handle for a kid that size. Completely dominant when driving at the hoop and crashing the offensive boards but is more interested in playing like a small forward. While playing like that might translate well to the NBA I'd be concerned if it translates well to college. He is definitely a one and done so I'd be concerned that getting a 6-10 guy without a great jumper who wants to play on the perimeter for a year. Not sure that will not translate to wins in college. If a college coach can convince him to play in the post this kid could dominate college hoops. Should model his college game after Julius Randle, not Lebron/Ben Simmons.

API - Trevon Duval 6-2 #4 ranked Jr in country, Uconn on his list of many schools on ESPN. Looks like Jalen Adams out there, similar build and athleticism. What stands out about Duval is he is a pass first point guard which is rare to see at the high school level. Usually kids as athletic as he is just beat kids with their athleticism but he is always looking to make the extra pass and very unselfish player. Type of player that other people want to play with. Obviously very talented kid with such a high recruiting ranking.

API - Terrance Ferguson 6-5, #10 ranked Sr in country, committed to Alabama. I just don't see how this kid is ranked so high, maybe just an off night and I counted 0-7 from 3. I can see having an off night but he didn't bring much else to the table defensively and couldn't really handle the ball. Not impressed, for whatever reason he didn't even start for API.

BA - Alpha Diallo 6-6, #90 ranked Sr in country, not sure if Uconn has much interest at this point. Solid player who does everything well but nothing great. Not a very fluid athlete. He's a versatile defender who understands passing lanes and defensive positioning. Will be a nice 4 year player for someone. While I wouldn't be disappointed if Uconn got him, he's not explosive enough for my liking to be a Uconn wing.

BA - Taureen Thompson 6-9, #87 ranked Sr in country, really like this kid, he is a big man who stays in the paint and doesn't try to be a perimeter player. If we were still looking for a Big in '16 I would want us to be recruiting this kid. Good but not great athlete but his timing on rebounds is perfect and something I don't think can be taught. Going to be a really nice 4 year post player for someone.

Coolest part of the game was the pregame layup line basically turned into a dunk contest. BA's CJ Keyser stole the show, Wichita State got a good one in him. In the crowd I saw an older man in a Uconn shirt and a middle school aged kid in one as well.

Reaction Score
Saw API vs Brewster last night here in San Diego and here are some of my thoughts on some of the players.

API - Billy Preston 6-10 #6 ranked Jr in country, Uconn on list of schools he is considering. Athletically off the charts. Spent a lot of time on the perimeter trying to play like Lebron and has an amazing handle for a kid that size. Completely dominant when driving at the hoop and crashing the offensive boards but is more interested in playing like a small forward. While playing like that might translate well to the NBA I'd be concerned if it translates well to college. He is definitely a one and done so I'd be concerned that getting a 6-10 guy without a great jumper who wants to play on the perimeter for a year. Not sure that will not translate to wins in college. If a college coach can convince him to play in the post this kid could dominate college hoops. Should model his college game after Julius Randle, not Lebron/Ben Simmons.

API - Trevon Duval 6-2 #4 ranked Jr in country, Uconn on his list of many schools on ESPN. Looks like Jalen Adams out there, similar build and athleticism. What stands out about Duval is he is a pass first point guard which is rare to see at the high school level. Usually kids as athletic as he is just beat kids with their athleticism but he is always looking to make the extra pass and very unselfish player. Type of player that other people want to play with. Obviously very talented kid with such a high recruiting ranking.

API - Terrance Ferguson 6-5, #10 ranked Sr in country, committed to Alabama. I just don't see how this kid is ranked so high, maybe just an off night and I counted 0-7 from 3. I can see having an off night but he didn't bring much else to the table defensively and couldn't really handle the ball. Not impressed, for whatever reason he didn't even start for API.

BA - Alpha Diallo 6-6, #90 ranked Sr in country, not sure if Uconn has much interest at this point. Solid player who does everything well but nothing great. Not a very fluid athlete. He's a versatile defender who understands passing lanes and defensive positioning. Will be a nice 4 year player for someone. While I wouldn't be disappointed if Uconn got him, he's not explosive enough for my liking to be a Uconn wing.

BA - Taureen Thompson 6-9, #87 ranked Sr in country, really like this kid, he is a big man who stays in the paint and doesn't try to be a perimeter player. If we were still looking for a Big in '16 I would want us to be recruiting this kid. Good but not great athlete but his timing on rebounds is perfect and something I don't think can be taught. Going to be a really nice 4 year post player for someone.

Coolest part of the game was the pregame layup line basically turned into a dunk contest. BA's CJ Keyser stole the show, Wichita State got a good one in him. In the crowd I saw an older man in a Uconn shirt and a middle school aged kid in one as well.

Nice job and thanks. I like guys like Diallo because they can play so many different positions while helping in so many different ways. Only saw him a couple times but feel the same as you. Kind of like Kromah/Giffey kid with maybe a bit more upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22
Top Bottom