Addition to coaching staff coming? | The Boneyard

Addition to coaching staff coming?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I have read articles that say the NCAA is allowing the addition of 2 members to the staff....men's
and women's. They decided this in January of 2023. I would assume that would go into effect
for the 2023-2024 season. These new coaches could work with players but are not to be
involved with 'off-campus' recruiting. Obviously when targets are on visits to the campus
the new coaches would be able to meet and greet them [recruit].

Do we have any hints as to whether Geno will do this....and if so...who he might target?
Our current staff are all over 40...some by more than a little. I would think Geno might
want to add at least one coach who would be more like a big-sister to the players...
as opposed to aunt/daughter/granddaughter. Obviously coaching ability/character etc
would be keys but the age factor might well be an asset in and of itself.

Heard anything?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sounds like a discount official visit. Hi I'm nobody but I want to tell you all about why we are the perfect place for you and how important you are to us. Better to use the position as an understudy skills coach.

Reaction Score
I think that the UCONN WBB program has been negatively affected by the departures of Marisa Moseley and Rosemary Ragle.

I don’t know what Brittany Hunter is doing these days, or if she has any interest in coaching, but I think that a smart former player such as Brittany could be beneficial for the development of UCONN’s post players.

Reaction Score
Coaches are not supposed to be your Grandmother, Grandfather, father, mother, aunt, uncle, big brother or big sister. They are your coaches. RockyMT blue is right. We need coaches to teach skills not hold hands.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Of course there are far more important qualities in hiring a coach...I do think there would be value in 'considering'
the age of applicants were Geno to look to add to his staff. Of course we don't know if Geno will even try to
add anybody.

Teaching skills...'holding hands'...you can do both...I bet CD has been great at both for decades...perhaps
not simultaneously

Reaction Score
I think that the UCONN WBB program has been negatively affected by the departures of Marisa Moseley and Rosemary Ragle.

I don’t know what Brittany Hunter is doing these days, or if she has any interest in coaching, but I think that a smart former player such as Brittany could be beneficial for the development of UCONN’s post players.
don't forget Shea Ralph

Reaction Score
As a manager, I always valued those that brought new ideas forward and challenged me and my organization to be better. Whether a past UConn or competitive player, what a great opportunity for Geno.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If UConn is going to add to the coaching staff if needs to be a coach that specializes in guard play. This coach should also be a good recruiter. UConn needs quick ball handling guards that can create their own offense getting to the rim and be a lock down defender when guarding opponents quick play making guards.

Reaction Score

Hard agree.

Reaction Score
Some people believe that UConn guard play has fallen off since Shea Ralph left. Wouldn't Sue Bird make a wonderful guard coach? Probably too expensive, though.
I think Sue would be a great choice but wouldn't you agree that perhaps Paige Buecker's season-ending injury had a lot to do with the quality of UConn guard play?............I'm confident that next season's backcourt will be much improved with or without a new coach.....

Reaction Score
Coaches are not supposed to be your Grandmother, Grandfather, father, mother, aunt, uncle, big brother or big sister. They are your coaches. RockyMT blue is right. We need coaches to teach skills not hold hands.
I have coached a lot of very successful players (all female) and I can tell you that some need hand holding, some need encouragement, some need tough love and some just need directions to the gym. The best thing another coach told me was when you yell at a boy they hear I need to do better, when you yell at a girl she hears you hate me. As a male coach and father I also didn't want any of our girls to think a man yelling at them was okay, normal or even acceptable.

We had high expectations, we were nationally recognized and had a lot of success. I am not a legend like Geno but I think the most difficult part of coaching young people is learning how to communicate with them and of course dealing with parents expectations and treatment of their own kids.

Reaction Score
I have coached a lot of very successful players (all female) and I can tell you that some need hand holding, some need encouragement, some need tough love and some just need directions to the gym. The best thing another coach told me was when you yell at a boy they hear I need to do better, when you yell at a girl she hears you hate me. As a male coach and father I also didn't want any of our girls to think a man yelling at them was okay, normal or even acceptable.

We had high expectations, we were nationally recognized and had a lot of success. I am not a legend like Geno but I think the most difficult part of coaching young people is learning how to communicate with them and of course dealing with parents expectations and treatment of their own kids.
Our Basketball coach never yelled at us. She told us and usually before a correction she gave us a compliment. Like: You are very quick but you need to anticipate better. Still she was our coach and not our mother or friend.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
They have two of the best in the country, and a 2 time defensive player of the year. Their problem to me is they have too many injuries and they need to figure out why.
Recruited some of the best, Azzi has been hurt often starting almost 4 years ago, Paige for 2 consecutive years. Have they improved yet we don't know. Nika has that is true.

Reaction Score
I would throw two of my favorite players into this tread. One would be my friend Mel Thomas. However she has a young child so that may not work. Another would be Ashley Battle. She was underarted but served her due diligence. Plus she is always at the games. I like the Tina idea though. And look for Carla to replace Geno down the line one day.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just some thoughts and comments. I would think with Geno getting up in age UConn would choose coaches who recruits would want to teach them. That would help in recruiting. Sue Bird comes to mind immediately. She is well known as a big time star and I would think girls would want her to coach them. Tina Diana Maya are other big names. They wont come cheap but that would be dictated by a coaches salary. The next question would be are interested in coaching? Another thought is to keep Geno on board to help at practices. At some point he will retire and maybe he would stay want to help at practices. Im sure Geno Chris and UConn already have a plan in place to continue with the legacy Geno has built. UConn WCBB is a big money maker and to let it drop would be crazy. Im sure there is a plan in place when Geno retires.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
always thought Kelly Faris was a future hc, idk if she still plays tho
I gave this a love, but still want to say I am totally with you. Kelly is a coach's kid and always displayed great fundamentals, court-awareness, and toughness. I'm sure some of it is innate, but much of it was learned. If she could teach half of what she had, she'd be tremendous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom