Adamec: lengthy article on Sue Bird | The Boneyard

Adamec: lengthy article on Sue Bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
She is the reason that years ago,I became a Connecticut women's basketball fan,100%,and not just a men's basketball fan.One of the classy ladies in sports,and one of the best at playing hard,but not out of control.
Only thing I wish was,when I worked in Storrs,I never got a chance to say hi to her.
She is pure hall of fame.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
My dad was very excited that she chose Uconn, unfortunately he didn't live long enough to see her win her first NC. Definitely one of my favorites all time!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Suzanne Brigit Bird, basketball maven and icon, as well as a future member of the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Back in the day: I actually got to see Sue play in the NYS championships in Glens Falls twice....on Christ The King after transferring.
As a junior she caught my eye with overall quickness and smarts...I didn't know UConn was after her at that time.
In her senior year she had signed with UConn and I paid a lot more attention. They had a very tough game with Syracuse Corcoran...won by a couple. Sue was more a shooting guard that game and actually bricked three free throws late at one point!
Corcoran had a guard who was very talented and , I think, went to Georgia.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Actually, I wish they had allowed her to redshirt. It is a shame they didn't, we could've had her on the court another year. We didn't really get a true 4 years.

Reaction Score
Actually, I wish they had allowed her to redshirt. It is a shame they didn't, we could've had her on the court another year. We didn't really get a true 4 years.

Why would she redshirt? She completed her degree and she was going to be the top draft choice and can earn a decent income abroad. What if she got hurt again while playing her last year of eligibility at Uconn? Then get her Masters and be a librarian at some HS on Long Island?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Why would she redshirt? She completed her degree and she was going to be the top draft choice and can earn a decent income abroad. What if she got hurt again while playing her last year of eligibility at Uconn? Then get her Masters and be a librarian at some HS on Long Island?

Well, yeah, but I'd hate to be late with a book at that library!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Because college is fun! She played eight games that freshman year, but the medical red-shirt rules were different back then I think. If she hadn't gotten injured, or if she had been eligible for another year, DT would not currently own the assists record, and Sue would be even more prominent in the Uconn record book.

Reaction Score
Because college is fun! She played eight games that freshman year, but the medical red-shirt rules were different back then I think. If she hadn't gotten injured, or if she had been eligible for another year, DT would not currently own the assists record, and Sue would be even more prominent in the Uconn record book.

Yep, if this, if that..........the reality is four years of college is usually enough for most people, worse when you need to think about earning your living. Most athletes who left early never had regrets. What would Sue gain by staying? Fun? she had accomplished everything an athlete ever wished. They still won a Nat after she left, so she wasn't needed. And she also said she wanted to live in a less isolated are and more Metropolitan. I bet she couldn't wait to get out of Storrs.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
For my own selfish reasons of wanting her there another year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue was the NPOY and #1 pick. She would have been the WNBA ROY if Catch didn't have to sit out the prior year. It's not as if she needed another year at UConn to hone her skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom