Adamec: CD's past stops by at a UConn practice | The Boneyard

Adamec: CD's past stops by at a UConn practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Theresa Grentz....head coach at Lafayette...along with her staff was at Thursday's practice.
Nice job by Geno to allow it [that seems to happen on a regular basis] and nice job by Theresa
to get Geno to coach-up her assistants.

CD was a player when... under Theresa... Rutgers won the equivalent of the NCAA championship
in 1982. Grentz was our Olympic coach in 1992...went to Illinois when C. Viv arrived at Rutgers.
I remember reading that CD made copies of their practices when she played there....thinking ahead to her coaching career? Wonder if she had 10 rings....and counting...in mind?

I went to our regionals at Rutgers in 1994....the year before Ring #1. We lost to eventual champ North Carolina in the final 8. Before going I read that it was a 'must see' to track down a picture of CD and her teammates from that 1982 team. So I did...and the truth is she didn't look all that different in 1994...and more truth is....she doesn't look all that different now.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I went to our regionals at Rutgers in 1994....the year before Ring #1. We lost to eventual champ North Carolina in the final 8. Before going I read that it was a 'must see' to track down a picture of CD and her teammates from that 1982 team. So I did...and the truth is she didn't look all that different in 1994...and more truth is....she doesn't look all that different now.

Not all that hard to find the CD...

Rutgers_80_81.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Clearly. What threw me off at first is the "bigs" are sitting down, but that smile is unmistakable. I believe she was a team captain too, which may explain the player arrangement.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Good to hear.

The AIAW Championship was the year after the picture but I am sure the pic includes, in addition to Chris, Pat Coyle (former Liberty coach, now at St. Peter's), Mary Coyle (Klinger), her twin, a prominent high school coach and administrator from Rutgers Prep, June Olkowski (a Kodak All American) and several other Rutgers internal hall-of-famers.

The phrasing in the original post of "went to Illinois when CViv arrived" while accurate, could be misunderstood by folks who don't go back that far. TG quit to go to Illinois and Rutgers hired CViv to replace her. Grentz retired from coaching when she left Illinois and was doing fund raising for her alma mater, Immaculata (yes, the Mighty Macs, she was on the team with Marianne Stanley and Rene Portland). About 5 years age we attended a fan club fundraiser honoring her and Viv and she made a strong fund-raise plea for Rutgers. Then last year she came out of retirement to assist former Fairfield coach Diane Nolan and ended up replacing her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom