Adamec: CD and Shea went to see 2015'ers.... | The Boneyard

Adamec: CD and Shea went to see 2015'ers....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Asia Durr and Naphisa Collier [sp?] play in Naples during our stay down there. Was there some high school tourney? Collier is from Jefferson City, Mo and Asia from Georgia.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
And Kalani Brown. And Erin Boley. Holiday Shootout Tournament in Naples, FL. Collier's team (Incarnate Word, St Louis) won one of the divisions, and Kalani Brown's team (Salmen HS, LA) won the other.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
From Jim Fuller:

PAIR OF RECRUITING TARGETS WIN TITLES IN NAPLES
UConn Class of 2015 recruiting targets Kalani Brown and Napheesa Collier led their teams to division titles at the Naples Holiday Shootout.

Brown, a 6-foot-6 center and daughter of former 15-year NBA veteran P.J. Brown, had 22 points as Salmen (La.) High defeated Toledo's Roger High 48-36 in the National Division title game on Wednesday. Brown averaged 24 points in the three games.

In the American Division, Collier had 12 points and nine rebounds in a 53-44 win over Blackman (Tenn.) High in Wednesday's championship game. She averaged 21.3 points in the three games.

Brown and Collier were joined on the all-tournament team by fellow Class of 2015 UConn recuiting target Asia Durr, who averaged 25.3 points in the three games for her St. Pius X squad and Elizabethtown (Ky.) sophomore forward Erin Boley, a target for UConn in the Class of 2016 who averaged 18 points per game in the tournament.

UConn assistant coach Shea Ralph and associate head coach Chris Dailey were at the tournament as UConn was one of more than 50 college programs to sent coaches to scout the tournament.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sounds like a good tournament.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
And Kalani Brown. And Erin Boley. Holiday Shootout Tournament in Naples, FL. Collier's team (Incarnate Word, St Louis) won one of the divisions, and Kalani Brown's team (Salmen HS, LA) won the other.
So it looks like Kalani Brown is our big post back up plan to Aja Wilson- She would be a freshman with Stewie, Tuck & Mo Jef, after Stokes!
You know what, if we don't get Aja, and we are able to land a talented tall post like her- with our new talented crop of guards with a year under their belt, good depth and experience----- we will be fine. As nice as it would be to land Aja, we are going to be awesome either way. May make it more interesting and more fun! Pressing & trapping the entire game? alot of movement, and still have the best player and a phenomenal point guard- There is life after Aja's decision if it doesn't go our way!

Reaction Score
So it looks like Kalani Brown is our big post back up plan to Aja Wilson- She would be a freshman with Stewie, Tuck & Mo Jef, after Stokes!
You know what, if we don't get Aja, and we are able to land a talented tall post like her- with our new talented crop of guards with a year under their belt, good depth and experience----- we will be fine. As nice as it would be to land Aja, we are going to be awesome either way. May make it more interesting and more fun! Pressing & trapping the entire game? alot of movement, and still have the best player and a phenomenal point guard- There is life after Aja's decision if it doesn't go our way!
I wouldn't call the recruiting of Brown as a back-up plan. Rather, she could be a dominant post player to complement Wilson just as Dolson and Stewart complement each other's play.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Brown is not a back up plan.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Naples Holiday Shootout is attracting better and better teams....the weather this time of year probably helps..!! Went to a game, but Shea was not there so I left...;) Actually saw Brown in early game and IMO Geno could make her extra special...:) Spoke w/ someone who saw Asia Durr and he said she is "better than great"....she scored and scored and scored....Go Huskies..!!

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
The players who want someone to help develop their BB skills and as a person who are not afraid to be a dog fight everyday at practice, will come to UCONN. Last nights Tenn and LSU game was an example of players who will not get any better in college. I do like the Tenn #20, but she has zero help in the paint or on defense. Hopefully, A'Ja noticed the difference between playing hops at UCONN and anywhere else.......Why could not Tenn get more than 10000 fans for a special night honoring 1 of the greatest players?

IMO, the only team that will fill TBA to the rafters is UCONN and Tenn knows it..............The UCONN Circus will not be coming to Knoxsville anytime soon.......Too Bad!!!

Lets see the crowd in Memphis today for the game after the men';s team finishes......WE might see some Orange in the crowd...........They miss UCONN in Tenn.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
The players who want someone to help develop their BB skills and as a person who are not afraid to be a dog fight everyday at practice, will come to UCONN. Last nights Tenn and LSU game was an example of players who will not get any better in college. I do like the Tenn #20, but she has zero help in the paint or on defense. Hopefully, A'Ja noticed the difference between playing hops at UCONN and anywhere else.......Why could not Tenn get more than 10000 fans for a special night honoring 1 of the greatest players?

IMO, the only team that will fill TBA to the rafters is UCONN and Tenn knows it..............The UCONN Circus will not be coming to Knoxsville anytime soon.......Too Bad!!!

Lets see the crowd in Memphis today for the game after the men';s team finishes......WE might see some Orange in the crowd...........They miss UCONN in Tenn.

If I remember correctly, Geno and CD were seriously miffed at the sparse crowd that attended Maya's last home game. From a 2012 NCAA.com article:

As for school totals, Tennessee led the nation in home attendance for the ninth consecutive year and for the 15th time in the last 16 seasons. The Lady Vols attracted 14,414 fans per game to watch Pat Summitt in her final year. Tennessee's head coach since the 1974-75 season was named head coach emeritus this spring. She retires as the all-time leader in women's basketball victories with 1,098.
Louisville took the runner-up spot at 10,670, followed by Iowa State (9,805) and Connecticut (9,168). Either Tennessee or Connecticut has led the nation every year since 1995. This past season, Tennessee was the only school to top 200,000 total fans (216,206).
For all-game attendance -- including home, road and neutral-site games -- Tennessee was also tops as 355,498 fans watched the Lady Vols over 36 games. Baylor (339,404) and Connecticut (307,695) were the only other teams to draw more than 300,000. Six teams (Notre Dame, Iowa State, Louisville, Texas A&M, Kentucky and Purdue) topped the 200,000 mark.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You, also, remember that Maya had several "last games."

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

The attendance listed in the box score was 14,441.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Let me say first that TN does a wonderful job of marketing the game. Frankly, I think the UConn marketing department should look at learn. Their attendance is impressive, and something worth praising.

That said, it isn't quite what it appears to be.

Years ago, TN did something that most schools don't have the guts to do (that includes UConn). They published both ticket sales and turnstile numbers. Turnstile numbers are always a little lower than sales, for UConn, typically a few hundred, sometimes more. For TN, the difference is larger. I tracked the difference for the years they reported it, and with the exception of UConn games (when everyone who bought a ticket showed up), the difference was close to 4,000 a game.

In the case of UConn, the main difference is season ticket holders who can't or don;t show up at some game, and don't bother to give away or sell their tickets. In the case of TN and other schools, it is because they have agreeing marketing, such as two for one tickets, and free tickets if you buy some tie-in product, and many of those tickets go unused, yet get counted as sales. Because I did the numbers, I generally look at the reported count and subtract 4,000 to get the actual fannies in the seats. 10,000 is still impressive, and more than most UConn games, but if anyone is wondering why jsloanjr assume there were 10,000 at the game despite the report of 14,000, that number sounds about right. I'm disappointed they stopped reporting the turnstile number, but because many schools do not, I can't fault them.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
You, also, remember that Maya had several "last games."

I think the negative comments from Geno and CD were about her last game at Gampel, but I could be wrong. Just pointing out a potential "glass houses" type of observation. IMO we spend too much energy ragging on Tennessee, but to each their own.

Reaction Score
Let me say first that TN does a wonderful job of marketing the game. Frankly, I think the UConn marketing department should look at learn. Their attendance is impressive, and something worth praising.

That said, it isn't quite what it appears to be.

Years ago, TN did something that most schools don't have the guts to do (that includes UConn). They published both ticket sales and turnstile numbers. Turnstile numbers are always a little lower than sales, for UConn, typically a few hundred, sometimes more. For TN, the difference is larger. I tracked the difference for the years they reported it, and with the exception of UConn games (when everyone who bought a ticket showed up), the difference was close to 4,000 a game.

In the case of UConn, the main difference is season ticket holders who can't or don;t show up at some game, and don't bother to give away or sell their tickets. In the case of TN and other schools, it is because they have agreeing marketing, such as two for one tickets, and free tickets if you buy some tie-in product, and many of those tickets go unused, yet get counted as sales. Because I did the numbers, I generally look at the reported count and subtract 4,000 to get the actual fannies in the seats. 10,000 is still impressive, and more than most UConn games, but if anyone is wondering why jsloanjr assume there were 10,000 at the game despite the report of 14,000, that number sounds about right. I'm disappointed they stopped reporting the turnstile number, but because many schools do not, I can't fault them.

Thanks for the info Phil. I wondered what the difference was between sold tickets and people in the seats.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think the negative comments from Geno and CD were about her last game at Gampel, but I could be wrong. Just pointing out a potential "glass houses" type of observation. IMO we spend too much energy ragging on Tennessee, but to each their own.
Yes, I believe that is correct and many people expected more opportunities to see Maya's last game.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't think we spend enough, but that's just me

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I flew from DC just to see Maya on Senior Night. She was incredibly efficient against Syracuse: 11-13 shooting, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals, and 1 block in 30 minutes, helping her team to a 49-20 halftime lead. She may have been emotional, but she played like the best player in the country and one of the best ever. As usual.

Maya was, and still is, such a joy to watch.

Reaction Score
Brown is not a back up plan.

IMHO not only is Brown not a "back up" plan she may even be a better fit for the Huskies than Wilson. Brown is your prototypical center with a big strong body that finishes well through contact around the rim. She is a natural lefty but has worked extremely hard to develop her right and is now a threat from each side. She is the daughter of former NBA player PJ Brown and has been around the game her entire life and it shows as her basketball IQ is off the charts. One of her only faults is that she is a tremendous passer and looks to create for her other teammates too much at times. Brown tends to do her best work from the foul line in and is a beast on the boards. She reminds me a lot of Dolson with a little less range.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
IMHO not only is Brown not a "back up" plan she may even be a better fit for the Huskies than Wilson. Brown is your prototypical center with a big strong body that finishes well through contact around the rim. She is a natural lefty but has worked extremely hard to develop her right and is now a threat from each side. She is the daughter of former NBA player PJ Brown and has been around the game her entire life and it shows as her basketball IQ is off the charts. One of her only faults is that she is a tremendous passer and looks to create for her other teammates too much at times. Brown tends to do her best work from the foul line in and is a beast on the boards. She reminds me a lot of Dolson with a little less range.
Sold.

Reaction Score

I like the sound of that very much. Dolson didn't have that range when she got to UConn either, it's something that can be developed. A good passer from the high post is indispensable in Geno's system.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Naples Holiday Shootout is attracting better and better teams....the weather this time of year probably helps..!! Went to a game, but Shea was not there so I left...;) Actually saw Brown in early game and IMO Geno could make her extra special...:) Spoke w/ someone who saw Asia Durr and he said she is "better than great"....she scored and scored and scored....Go Huskies..!!
"Better than great." Yikes! Even though we may be guard-heavy, I really, really, really want Asia Durr.

We had Asjha, we should get A'ja and Asia too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom