Actors who are bigger stars than they should have been | The Boneyard

Actors who are bigger stars than they should have been

Reaction Score
I would add James Woods. OK actor but I don't get the stardom.

Reaction Score
One of the best bad guys in movies, but typecasting killed his career along with his conservative politics.

Reaction Score
Tim Robbins and Gary Sinise. Enjoyed several films these guys were in but always scratched my head on how they both made it to starring roles in films. Sinese is like 5'2" and has to stand on boxes in standing close ups with other actors and actresses. Robbins is great at playing dumb stupid roles like if he was Jim Neighbors.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reeves is a star based on Point Break alone. He was also really good in Parenthood.

Mark Wahlburg ruins every movie he is in, including Boogie Nights.
Agree strongly on Wahlberg, but also see Reeves as fitting this category.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Adam Sandler. Milked a few characters for millions. But no movie star.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Sandler is terrible in many ways, but there is a star quality to him, and he was excellent in Funny People.

I really like Donald Sutherland. A great voice goes a long way. I like Wahlberg and Woods too.

I would define this thread with Nicolas Cage. He is nails on chalkboard terrible in everything he is in.

Honest Trailers summed up Megan Fox perfectly: the looks of a professional pron star with the acting ability of an amateur pron star.

Shia Labeouf is brutally terrible. I can't figure out why this guy is even an actor, in anything.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sandler is terrible in many ways, but there is a star quality to him, and he was excellent in Funny People.

I really like Donald Sutherland. A great voice goes a long way. I like Wahlberg and Woods too.

I would define this thread with Nicolas Cage. He is nails on chalkboard terrible in everything he is in.

Honest Trailers summed up Megan Fox perfectly: the looks of a professional pron star with the acting ability of an amateur pron star.

Shia Labeouf is brutally terrible. I can't figure out why this guy is even an actor, in anything.

Nicholas Cage has one good performance - Leaving Las Vegas and one good scene. In The Family Man at the bowling alley when he asks for his friend's wife's address it cracks me up everytime.

Reaction Score
Nicholas Cage has one good performance - Leaving Las Vegas and one good scene. In The Family Man at the bowling alley when he asks for his friend's wife's address it cracks me up everytime.
Leaving Las Vegas is one of my favorite films, Cage was great in that, but he has had his share of clunkers. Also liked him in "Knowing". Also great in LLV was Elizabeth Shue, who has to be on any list of great actresses who never made it big. Many thought she was robbed at the Oscars when nominated for LLV. I mean it's rare when a great actress can play a serious role or just as easily be hysterically funny, and also be a stunning looking woman, and she was. She must have had the worst agent in Hollywood. Although some of her fading away was by choice, actually put her career on hold to play competitive tennis.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Salvador. Also solid in True Crime.

Reeves co-star, Sandra Bulluck.

Why, because she isn't a classic blond beauty with big boobies? She's very appealing and one of the better comic actresses around.

Pretty dead on, especially Labeouf. Cage peaked with Valley Girl and Raising Arizona, although he redeemed himself somewhat in LLV. It seems he's in every other movie currently on Netflix.

My personal choice is Jude Law. He just comes across as a guy who takes himself far too seriously in anything he does. I can't name a single movie he was in where I thought, "Nobody else could've played that role."

Reaction Score
Vince Vaughn.

At this point, I’d say Fred Claus is his recent high water mark.
His first big acting break was as one of the Notre Dame football players in "Rudy".

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Pretty dead on, especially Labeouf. Cage peaked with Valley Girl and Raising Arizona, although he redeemed himself somewhat in LLV. It seems he's in every other movie currently on Netflix.

My personal choice is Jude Law. He just comes across as a guy who takes himself far too seriously in anything he does. I can't name a single movie he was in where I thought, "Nobody else could've played that role."

Jude Law has definitely overachieved based on looks and talent. I don't think he is terrible, but he should not be getting the parts he gets.

Reaction Score
I think there are some actors that get a pass because they decent / likable / artistic / serious people in real life. Keanu fits into this. A couple of others that I think of who are okay actors, but have a better rep then deserved:

I'm not that impressed with Natalie Portman. I didn't see Black Swan, but I find her to be very flat. She was just as bad in the Star Wars prequel as Hayden Christensen, but he's the one that gets abused for bad direction and writing.

The Gyllenhaals.

Tobey McGuire.

Reaction Score

I like James Woods, but I realized that my two favorite movies with him, True Believer & Best Seller, were made almost thirty years ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom