Aces/ Mystics game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aces/ Mystics game

Reaction Score
I know money is tight for the league, but you can't rely on commercial flights for tight windows. I flew back and forth for the men's and women's Final Fours in 2017 and I luckily didn't have any delays. Even without delays, I was exhausted and I didn't have to play, just cheer. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything, though.

Do most major D1 women's teams take charter flights?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Some thoughts:

This issue is rolled together into the general perception that the players and their union are combating...that they are underpaid, and treated with disrespect at every instance.
I don't think that this should be analyzed as a one-off incident.

I recall (was it not 2012-13) when we played New Year's eve on the West coast and then had the trip from hell to get back...(flying commercial) waiting hours in (LAX if I recall), back on campus late morning/early afternoon on the 1st (?)...And then played Notre Dame on the 5th (and lost)...seems a long time between services, but I remember bellyaching plenty about it at the time; that at the least, it would disrupt practices for a few days. Perhaps it did.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Do most major D1 women's teams take charter flights?

I believe they do in the SEC, but I don't know about elsewhere. They only play 2 games a week, however, aside from tournaments.

Reaction Score
SVC's post about McHale's Larry Bird story was pretty telling. And pretty funny. I agree with the players about compensation issues, but if you want to be treated like a professional, act like one. I agree with the posters who think it should be a forfeit.
I suspect that most, if not all teams with serious recruiting ambitions fly charter.

Reaction Score
SVC's post about McHale's Larry Bird story was pretty telling. And pretty funny. I agree with the players about compensation issues, but if you want to be treated like a professional, act like one. I agree with the posters who think it should be a forfeit.
I suspect that most, if not all teams with serious recruiting ambitions fly charter.
You don't penalize 10 teams for the sake of 1, either makeup the game, or don't count it at all.

Reaction Score
Players did what they thought was right for them. I’m just no longer interested in the W. However, am looking forward to see how the year unfolds for UConn and ND in college

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You don't penalize 10 teams for the sake of 1, either makeup the game, or don't count it at all.
If you don't count it, the Mystics are in essence punished. That isn't fair either. As much as I would like to agree with you--as the Sun are hurt if the Mystics get a free win and get the higher seed--nevertheless it seems the usual way similar situations are handled in sport is that the team that refuses to play loses through forfeit.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Game is a forfeit by Vegas. Honestly this probably works in Vegas's favor going forward...if they make the playoffs, they'd be an 8 seed and it's unlikely they'd be able to make the finals. With the way the lottery is set up, they'll have the 2nd best shot of grabbing the #1 pick, which means they'll almost be guaranteed 1 of KLS, McCowan or Brown. Getting the #2 or #3 pick will likely get them a much better player than the #5 pick would, and their young team can emerge as a real force next year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I get the reason, but the Aces forfeited the game resulting in a Mystics win. That's fair and the way it should be. It was the Aces decision to not play. Even if they feel their reasons were valid, you "refuse" to play, you forfeit the game. Pretty simple really.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This issue is rolled together into the general perception that the players and their union are combating...that they are underpaid, and treated with disrespect at every instance.

The way this crew acted, they certainly didn't Ace the test. They were at the venue in plenty of time, play the game. And these guys are not underpaid. The league is a money loser, they are being carried.

Reaction Score
[My first post...YAY!!] :)

As much as I love the WNBA and the players, I'm inclined to feel like the forfeit was deserved and the decision was more harmful than anything. One of the articles articulated it well that there is a broader impact here: lost league revenues, lost pay for people that work in the facility, I think it was some sort of breast health awareness day too (which I know they moved to a different game, but still). Although I'm sure the travel was an awful experience, they were there with several hours to play before the game, so I think they should have played. I can't recall who said it, but it's certainly no worse than having a back-to-back game in terms of "safety." Just my two cents...there's not necessarily a right answer depending on how you look at it.

Reaction Score
I think the league needs to seriously look at itself and how it can improve next year. From pay, travel, marketing, etc.

However, I'm with bballnut90 on this one. They aren't a contender for the title. Helps them get another star that will make them that much better next year. Jefferson should be back to 100, Plum will be in 3rd season, McBride will haven another year of experience, Wilson will have a year in the W and in China done, plus probably picking up KLS, Brown, or McCowan will be big help for them. Next season I will be let down if they don't make the playoffs.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
[My first post...YAY!!] :)

As much as I love the WNBA and the players, I'm inclined to feel like the forfeit was deserved and the decision was more harmful than anything. One of the articles articulated it well that there is a broader impact here: lost league revenues, lost pay for people that work in the facility, I think it was some sort of breast health awareness day too (which I know they moved to a different game, but still). Although I'm sure the travel was an awful experience, they were there with several hours to play before the game, so I think they should have played. I can't recall who said it, but it's certainly no worse than having a back-to-back game in terms of "safety." Just my two cents...there's not necessarily a right answer depending on how you look at it.
Welcome to the BY! May your experience be fun and rewarding! :)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think the league needs to seriously look at itself and how it can improve next year. From pay, travel, marketing, etc.

However, I'm with bballnut90 on this one. They aren't a contender for the title. Helps them get another star that will make them that much better next year. Jefferson should be back to 100, Plum will be in 3rd season, McBride will haven another year of experience, Wilson will have a year in the W and in China done, plus probably picking up KLS, Brown, or McCowan will be big help for them. Next season I will be let down if they don't make the playoffs.

Agree with the top statement. Players have been requesting different pay structure for a long time now. I don't know the exact breakdown, but I know most teams have several players all at the pay limit. Even if the total money owners pay players doesn't change, they should raise the limit so that top players like Parker, Taurasi, Stewart, etc. can actually be paid what they're worth relative to their teammates. Seldom used role players are making close to the same amount but carry a much smaller load (usually on and off the court) than the star players.

Vegas should be stacked next year. Curious to see who Bill goes after in the offseason or in the draft if they do have a top 3 pick. KLS appears to be the best fit based on need, but Brown could pair quite well with Wilson, and Bill loves his low posts so I could see him taking McCowan, too.

I'm also expecting to see more player movement this offseason with New York being a hot mess right now (can't imagine Tina Charles will be there next year playing for Katie Smith), and there are also rumors that Parker wants to go to Chicago (which makes zero sense to me). I could see Moore or Fowles wanting out from Minnesota with the dynasty (likely) coming to an end with Whalen retiring. Plus Brunson and Augustus might could hang up their sneakers too.

I could see Bill trading the pick to snag a great veteran player, or just landing a great player in the off season since he's proven to be one of the best coaches in the league for years now.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tina could go to Minnesota and replace Brunson. I believe she has played with Maya before.

Reaction Score
The Mystics next home game is at the Smith Center at George Washington University. Its capacity is about 1/3 of the previous location. I am not sure if this was planned at the start of the season or not. If they want to make money this is a smart move.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

How are 10 teams being punished if the Aces get a well deserved forfeit? All ten? I do know the folks who were to work the game especially the concessionaires were financially screwed by the Aces. They should sue the Aces as a team and individuals as well. The WNBA needs fans and they thumbed their noses at the fans. I am sure the media people were not happy. But the self-absorbed Powder Puffs did not care. In my mind they are no longer the Aces, they are the Unprofessional Divas. They want to earn what the NBA players earn. Well, they should prove themselves worthy. When a WNBA all-star team beats a high school boys all-star team I will believe they are worth more money. This game of course will never happen because the WNBA knows what would happen. Heck the UCONN women's team admits they can't beat their male practice team who are basically guys off the street guys who could not even qualify for a division III college basketball team.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Some thoughts:

I don't think that this should be analyzed as a one-off incident.

I recall (was it not 2012-13) when we played New Year's eve on the West coast and then had the trip from hell to get back...(flying commercial) waiting hours in (LAX if I recall), back on campus late morning/early afternoon on the 1st (?)...And then played Notre Dame on the 5th (and lost)...seems a long time between services, but I remember bellyaching plenty about it at the time; that at the least, it would disrupt practices for a few days. Perhaps it did.

Washington Post article today buttresses my thoughts.

Perspective | WNBA players are still treated like second-class citizens. It’s on the NBA to fix that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom