Aces/ Mystics game | The Boneyard

Aces/ Mystics game

Reaction Score
Turned on NBA TV looking for the game; they were showing an old NBA game. Looked everywhere for the game, no joy. Eventually found that the game was cancelled on the WNBA site, no explanation. At least the WNBA stays true to form regarding information.

Reaction Score
Turned on NBA TV looking for the game; they were showing an old NBA game. Looked everywhere for the game, no joy. Eventually found that the game was cancelled on the WNBA site, no explanation. At least the WNBA stays true to form regarding information.

Aces had major travel probs getting to the game.

Reaction Score
Thanks. Situations like this should have been foreseen with the compacted schedule. I know that chartered flights are not permitted, but they should be allowed when they are needed. The NBA could certainly afford it, as, I suspect, could MGM.

Reaction Score
Mechelle Voepel‏ @MechelleV 27m 27 minutes ago
WNBPA released a statement on behalf of Las Vegas Aces players: "We regret that the Aces were not able to take the court tonight against the Washington Mystics. We trust that you know this decision was not made lightly. ..."

Mechelle Voepel‏ @MechelleV 26m 26 minutes ago
"There is nothing we enjoy more than playing in front of the most rabid fans in professional sports night in and night out, and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and disappointment that was created for the fans, workers and anyone else who may have been affected." ...

Mechelle Voepel‏ @MechelleV 24m 24 minutes ago
"Given travel issues over past 2 days—25+ hours spent in airports/airplanes, in cramped quarters and having not slept in a bed since Wednesday night—and after consulting with Union, and medical professionals, we concluded playing would put us at too great a risk for injury." ...

Mechelle Voepel‏ @MechelleV 22m 22 minutes ago
"Naturally, issue of player safety is of paramount concern for all involved in the WNBA. This issue is bigger than our team and this one unfortunate set of circumstances. We look forward to being a part of future discourse in hope of preventing such incidents in the future." ...

Mechelle Voepel‏ @MechelleV 23m 23 minutes ago
"We thank all of you for your continued support of us and our league, and we will see you back out on the court this Sunday at Connecticut." End of Aces statement.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Yikes. Looks like some brutal delays for the Aces. So do they forfeit the game and count it as a loss?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Will the missing game cost one of the teams a playoff spot?

Reaction Score
I really don't know how I feel about this. It sucks when there are major travel issues and it's understandable the players were exhausted but I think it's a bad look for a league that is struggling to keep and build a fanbase. It's a prime time Friday night game and I suspect there would have been a decent audience by WNBA standards. No doubt charter planes may alleviate some issues but those can still be subject to weather delays or mechanical difficulties.

To be fair I feel the same way when I read about NBA teams "resting" players at points in the season to keep them fresh. The NBA season has been 82 games for many, many years and I don't recall Jordan taking nights off unless he was injured. I can't comment if the schedule is more compact today or not but I think fans get a bad deal when a superstar player who isn't injured rests for a night against a less threatening opponent. Those tickets are far more expensive but those gentlemen make significantly more money to play the game and that is no doubt their only job.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Thanks. Situations like this should have been foreseen with the compacted schedule. I know that chartered flights are not permitted, but they should be allowed when they are needed. The NBA could certainly afford it, as, I suspect, could MGM.

Ganas! (Thank you "Stand and Deliver")

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I really don't know how I feel about this. It sucks when there are major travel issues and it's understandable the players were exhausted but I think it's a bad look for a league that is struggling to keep and build a fanbase. It's a prime time Friday night game and I suspect there would have been a decent audience by WNBA standards. No doubt charter planes may alleviate some issues but those can still be subject to weather delays or mechanical difficulties.

To be fair I feel the same way when I read about NBA teams "resting" players at points in the season to keep them fresh. The NBA season has been 82 games for many, many years and I don't recall Jordan taking nights off unless he was injured. I can't comment if the schedule is more compact today or not but I think fans get a bad deal when a superstar player who isn't injured rests for a night against a less threatening opponent. Those tickets are far more expensive but those gentlemen make significantly more money to play the game and that is no doubt their only job.
I believe that this years WNBA schedule is more compact then most years due to the FIBA Basketball World Championships scheduled the 22nd of September.

Reaction Score
The comments from both teams are very telling. Apparently, this is not an isolated circumstance, but rather something that teams grapple with once every couple of seasons or so - the “everything that can go wrong goes wrong” scenario. A drag for sure; we have all been there.

The Aces arrived by 245 or so DC time. And still weren’t willing to play. There must have been some internal mutiny. The Mystics players were non-plussed. I especially took Tolliver’s view seriously. She basically went Cal Ripken and said there’s a game scheduled so you play. They were not inclined to cut the Aces any slack.

Mystics made the best of a terrible situation for their fans. The Aces, well, not so much.

Mystics’ game with Las Vegas is canceled when Aces are a no-show after travel woes

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I like Currie's statement - she was voicing her own opinion, while respecting the Ace's and putting herself in their shoes. It's a tough decision regardless. The Aces most likely would have lost anyway.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

This was a really bad travel day for the Aces, but they had only played one game (Aug 1st at home) since the All-Star break, so not exactly a grueling schedule leading up to the game. Apparently, the Mystics agreed to a later 8pm start before the Aces folded. Tough situation. Big financial hit for the Mystics on concessions, merch, etc. What about the 6000-ish fans that need to be reimbursed. Do the Aces pick up the tab?

From a selfish point of view, there are implications for Connecticut, also. Without taking a shot, the Mystics put a full game on the Sun in the standings, AND the Sun will play a very well rested, east coast acclimated, chip-on-their-shoulder for all the BS Aces team on Sunday.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I understand the schedule is compact this year due to the FIBA tournament. The FIBA tournament and Olympic issues will come up every other year for the league so perhaps there should be more consideration for the athletes when the league creates the schedule, though I have no doubt some is given.

I've read these posts as well as the SwishBoard article about it, which very much defended what the Aces did. I see their argument and point but I simply don't agree with the decision. I don't attend WNBA games and my life isn't impacted by this at all but I simply feel it hurts the league and fans of the game when things like this happen.

The WNBA players have been vocal this season about travel, pay and equity. I happen to agree with most of what they are saying. I just worry that it brings negative attention to a league that has a tenuous at best standing in the sports world simply because women's basketball isn't respected or even noticed outside of a small group supporters.

Reaction Score
The comments from both teams are very telling. Apparently, this is not an isolated circumstance, but rather something that teams grapple with once every couple of seasons or so - the “everything that can go wrong goes wrong” scenario. A drag for sure; we have all been there.

The Aces arrived by 245 or so DC time. And still weren’t willing to play. There must have been some internal mutiny. The Mystics players were non-plussed. I especially took Tolliver’s view seriously. She basically went Cal Ripken and said there’s a game scheduled so you play. They were not inclined to cut the Aces any slack.

Mystics made the best of a terrible situation for their fans. The Aces, well, not so much.

Mystics’ game with Las Vegas is canceled when Aces are a no-show after travel woes
Aces should forfeit...since they chose not to play.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I understand the schedule is compact this year due to the FIBA tournament. The FIBA tournament and Olympic issues will come up every other year for the league so perhaps there should be more consideration for the athletes when the league creates the schedule, though I have no doubt some is given.

I've read these posts as well as the SwishBoard article about it, which very much defended what the Aces did. I see their argument and point but I simply don't agree with the decision. I don't attend WNBA games and my life isn't impacted by this at all but I simply feel it hurts the league and fans of the game when things like this happen.

The WNBA players have been vocal this season about travel, pay and equity. I happen to agree with most of what they are saying. I just worry that it brings negative attention to a league that has a tenuous at best standing in the sports world simply because women's basketball isn't respected or even noticed outside of a small group supporters.

Agreed. I feel bad for the players that they had to go through that, but if they could have showed up to the game and played, they should have. It's a bad look for the league and will definitely turn away some fans. Other teams have to deal with grueling back to backs with travel involved...I don't think the Aces are the only team to deal with something like this. I don't see how playing on a crummy night of sleep could be considered a greater health risk than back to back games with travel involved, or even being a teenager playing AAU basketball for literally 7-8 hours on consecutive days in tournaments.

Also worth noting, the Aces have players who've been quite vocal about wanting better pay (statements from McBride/Wilson/Plum all in the last month or two), so it wouldn't surprise me if their feelings about getting shafted played a factor in deciding not to show up--a mentality along the lines of, "if I'm not getting paid well to do this, I'm not going to overexert myself for the league's benefit" and then use the health risk as an excuse. I actually really enjoy watching the Aces and would have rooted for them to beat Washington, but if I'm the WNBA, I'd make the Aces take a forfeit. It's one thing if the plane got so delayed that they wouldn't have arrived in time to play, it's another that the players are choosing to not show up when they were in DC several hours prior to tip.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I feel bad for the players that they had to go through that, but if they could have showed up to the game and played, they should have. It's a bad look for the league and will definitely turn away some fans. Other teams have to deal with grueling back to backs with travel involved...I don't think the Aces are the only team to deal with something like this. I don't see how playing on a crummy night of sleep could be considered a greater health risk than back to back games with travel involved, or even being a teenager playing AAU basketball for literally 7-8 hours on consecutive days in tournaments.

Also worth noting, the Aces have players who've been quite vocal about wanting better pay (statements from McBride/Wilson/Plum all in the last month or two), so it wouldn't surprise me if their feelings about getting shafted played a factor in deciding not to show up--a mentality along the lines of, "if I'm not getting paid well to do this, I'm not going to overexert myself for the league's benefit" and then use the health risk as an excuse. I actually really enjoy watching the Aces and would have rooted for them to beat Washington, but if I'm the WNBA, I'd make the Aces take a forfeit. It's one thing if the plane got so delayed that they wouldn't have arrived in time to play, it's another that the players are choosing to not show up when they were in DC several hours prior to tip.
You shouldn't punish all the other playoff teams. The fairest thing would be to not count the game at all.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
In my post above, I should have also have mentioned the negative effect on Dallas. The Mystics roll in on totally fresh legs instead of coming off a tough game. The Mystics probably got hurt financially, but in every other way they make out well. A free W, and an easier transition to a tough Wings team.

Safe to say no one (including the league) wins as result of this decision. Seems like the kind of questionable decision tired, stressed out people make.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
You shouldn't punish all the other playoff teams. The fairest thing would be to not count the game at all.

But then team records won’t match up, nor will they have an equal number of Home and away games. Vegas could’ve shown up, they chose not to. Mystics shouldn’t be penalized for that.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I know money is tight for the league, but you can't rely on commercial flights for tight windows. I flew back and forth for the men's and women's Final Fours in 2017 and I luckily didn't have any delays. Even without delays, I was exhausted and I didn't have to play, just cheer. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything, though.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I know money is tight for the league, but you can't rely on commercial flights for tight windows. I flew back and forth for the men's and women's Final Fours in 2017 and I luckily didn't have any delays. Even without delays, I was exhausted and I didn't have to play, just cheer. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything, though.

Those poor powder puffs! The SHOW MUST GO ON! Whimps! Who wants to watch whimps? See my video above about the Celtics (Bird and McHale) and travel woes. Notice McHale's comment on bus driver's statement: "hotel or arena but can't do both." Answer: the arena we have a game to play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom