Accommodations & Reccomendations for Navy Game | The Boneyard

Accommodations & Reccomendations for Navy Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looking for suggestions on hotels, tailgate and parking info, and any other helpful tips. Valid responses will be rewarded with beers on Sept 10th.

Reaction Score
First time poster, long long long time reader...all the way back to when I lived in Goodyear Hall in the Northwest dorm community.

The Annapolis Waterfront Hotel is a Marriott property right in downtown Annapolis, about 2 blocks from the Academy. It is right in the heart of the restaurant and bar scene in Annapolis. You'll definitely want to hit The Iron Rooster for Breakfast/Brunch and you'll want to hit McGarvey's late night (the best crab dip in the country). Dry 85 is a great bourbon bar that is in the vicinity of that spot too. You can also cruise out on the Woodwind Schooner which is the boat from Wedding Crashers. It leaves from the dock right at the Annapolis Waterfront Hotel. It makes for a nice Severn River/Chesapeake Bay cruise.

The Loew's Hotel and the Westin are also good options that are close to downtown. Near the Annapolis mall you'll have a few more options. There is a Courtyard, Sheraton, and DoubleTree all near there. I'm not sure about parking, but UBER is always a great option in Annapolis.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
There we rent many rooms left a couple of week ago in Annapolis for this weekend.
We ended up getting a room in Downtown Baltimore 2 blocks from the water.

Going rate in Baltimore was 150-200 depending on what amenities you require.

Reaction Score
Bought my tickets yesterday and we're staying at the Courtyard Ft. Meade. Used Marriott points (10,000). Just got off the phone. There is no parking at the stadium. The very kind lady said there's an elementary school 2 blocks away or use the park and ride off Harry S. Turman parkway.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Booked through Hot Wire today 2 nights at the Best Western 3 miles away for $398 single occupancy,need 3 tickets though, gotta work that out, stadium is smaller than the Rent,fyi

Reaction Score
If you can get it downtown Annapolis is the way to go to enjoy the atmosphere. In addition to the to the locations that Goodyear suggested which include the Marriott the Loews Ocallaghan and the Westin are all good options also look for the Historic Inns of Annapolis and if you want a little Les modern the State House Inn in Annapolis are all located in great locations. For lunch for breakfast lunch or dinner iron rooster is a great spot I like the Boatyard in Eastport also to get a drink at Pussers right on the water is a great location. Stop by Kilwins for dessert for ice cream candy all kinds of Confections. Take a tour of the academy and if you are truly interested I haven't seen the schedule yet but I would bet money that there will be a formal parade at 4 o'clock on Friday in the yard that is really special to see

Reaction Score
Good luck. Hotel reservations within 20 miles are very tough on game day. Navy Marine Corps Stadium will probably sell out. It is an absolutely fantastic place to see a game!

Reaction Score
We have reservations at the Westin and the Hilton Garden Inn...will keep one and cancel one.

Arrive on Thursday afternoon, Friday in DC or Baltimore, although I'd like to be at the Navy stadium for the UCONN walk through on Friday evening. Want to tour the Navy campus as well. Game later on Saturday, sleep in a bit on Sunday then head back to CT.

Remember that the Jets play a 1 pm home game on Sunday, so plan accordingly. The Giants played on the Sunday after the Maryland game. We drove past the stadium around 2:30 pm--no game traffic at that time, it was a breeze.

Reaction Score
We have rented a home ( 12 of us) , that is one block away from stadium. I believe the street name is Griffin (don't know house number). We will be tailgating there before the game. If anyone is interested, come on by. Make sure to bring your favorite beverage, and if you forget we will have plenty. Go Huskies

Also above the The Iron Rooster is mentioned for breakfast / lunch. I heard about Miss Shirleys ,any info on how it compares to The Iron Rooster.

Reaction Score
We have rented a home ( 12 of us) , that is one block away from stadium. I believe the street name is Griffin (don't know house number). We will be tailgating there before the game. If anyone is interested, come on by. Make sure to bring your favorite beverage, and if you forget we will have plenty. Go Huskies

Also above the The Iron Rooster is mentioned for breakfast / lunch. I heard about Miss Shirleys ,any info on how it compares to The Iron Rooster.

The Iron Rooster is MUCH MUCH better than Miss Shirley's. Miss Shirley's is good and gets a lot of pub, but the Iron Rooster is the best spot in town. The owner is a football guy, in fact he was an assistant coach of Larry Taylor's when he lived in South Florida. He was recently named one of the top restaurateurs in the Maryland, DC area.

Homemade pop tarts are AMAZING. Chicken and waffles is a must try, as are the waffle burgers and the red velvet waffle ice cream sandwich. I've eaten there probably close to 50 times and never had a bad experience.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
The Iron Rooster is MUCH MUCH better than Miss Shirley's. Miss Shirley's is good and gets a lot of pub, but the Iron Rooster is the best spot in town. The owner is a football guy, in fact he was an assistant coach of Larry Taylor's when he lived in South Florida. He was recently named one of the top restaurateurs in the Maryland, DC area.

Homemade pop tarts are AMAZING. Chicken and waffles is a must try, as are the waffle burgers and the red velvet waffle ice cream sandwich. I've eaten there probably close to 50 times and never had a bad experience.

Hubby and I have been to both, and have to agree, Iron Rooster has a slight edge. We started with the crab stuffed avocado - yum! He had the shrimp & grits and I had chicken & waffles for dinner. Good local beers on tap. Homemade pop tart advice - share one. We did and still could not finish it.

Reaction Score
We're staying at the Hampton Inn right near downtown. Was able to get it via express deals on Priceline.

As far as tailgate goes I know UConn is holding an official Alumni tailgate for $40. Though if we can get a Boneyard tailgate going or could be close to the bus crew that would be great too.

Reaction Score

Another question. If you had to recommend 1 restaurant for dinner, what would it be. Again there are 12 of us, so probably best if we can make reservations. Any info would be appreciated

Reaction Score
I just bought my tickets from the school, booked through Southwest staying at the Doubletree (2 nights) at the airport since it's not that far away, rental car everything included for 4 people was roughly $1,000

Reaction Score
Just bought my ticket through UConn. Flying from Bradley and flying home same day. Return Flight is at 9:05 pm. Gonna be cutting it close. May have to leave a little early. Rented a car. Gonna try and hit up 1st half of UConn vs Georgetown soccer game @ 1pm before the football game.

Reaction Score
Another question. If you had to recommend 1 restaurant for dinner, what would it be. Again there are 12 of us, so probably best if we can make reservations. Any info would be appreciated

If you are looking for something nicer I would suggest The Blackwall Hitch. It is a little on the more expensive side, but it is a great place. Another really good spot is called Dry 85. It is a prohibition style bourbon bar and they've got fantastic food. Those are probably the two best options for dinner.

Reaction Score
I always thought Carrols Creek was nice with a great location and view right near the water, but truthfully have not eaten there in 6 years. Maybe Goodyear can comment on that one if you have been there recently. Usually when we were in Annapolis we went casual because we were coming from a football game. I am guessing Iron Rooster reservations are going to be tough to get by the time the game comes so here are some other suggestions. If you want beer (tons on tap) and casual friendly go to Rams Head and if it's not to hot ask for a table in the court yard. They do take reservations. If you want the best crab cakes I have ever had in a place where you wouldn't guess go to Galway Bay and Irish Bar not to far from the Academy and check out the street where they filmed the one scene in Patriot Games with Harrison Ford right down the block from there, if you want casual place that's good for families take a ride over to East Port or more fun yet take a water taxi over to the other side of the Severn and go to Boatyard they have tremendous variety of food on their menu, if you want Sushi I like Joss right there on Main Street, McGarveys for raw bar (or Boatyard), if you want crabs on a picnic table with paper on the table and a mallet for the crabs find your way to Cantlers, some people like it , I think it's a little overrated with some of the other options available. There are tons of places I haven't mentioned but there are some of our casual favorites.

Reaction Score
I always thought Carrols Creek was nice with a great location and view right near the water, but truthfully have not eaten there in 6 years. Maybe Goodyear can comment on that one if you have been there recently. Usually when we were in Annapolis we went casual because we were coming from a football game. I am guessing Iron Rooster reservations are going to be tough to get by the time the game comes so here are some other suggestions. If you want beer (tons on tap) and casual friendly go to Rams Head and if it's not to hot ask for a table in the court yard. They do take reservations. If you want the best crab cakes I have ever had in a place where you wouldn't guess go to Galway Bay and Irish Bar not to far from the Academy and check out the street where they filmed the one scene in Patriot Games with Harrison Ford right down the block from there, if you want casual place that's good for families take a ride over to East Port or more fun yet take a water taxi over to the other side of the Severn and go to Boatyard they have tremendous variety of food on their menu, if you want Sushi I like Joss right there on Main Street, McGarveys for raw bar (or Boatyard), if you want crabs on a picnic table with paper on the table and a mallet for the crabs find your way to Cantlers, some people like it , I think it's a little overrated with some of the other options available. There are tons of places I haven't mentioned but there are some of our casual favorites.

I would agree that Carol's Creek is good; however, I do think that it is a little overpriced. You are paying more for the location. Most of the places on the Eastport side - Carol's Creek, Lewnes, O'Leary's Seafood, etc are all fantastic, but very expensive (with the exception of Boatyard). I think that some of the newer places downtown have passed Carol's Creek by. If I am choosing to hit one of the more expensive places in town it will be Blackwall Hitch every time. For those of you from the Hartford area - Blackwall Hitch will be very similar to a Max Fish in Glastonbury or Grant's in West Hartford.

If there are any history buffs heading to Annapolis - you may want to check out 1747 Tavern at the top of Main Street on Cathedral Circle (right around the corner from the above mentioned Rams Head). It has been a continuously operated watering hole since 1747.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom