ACC votes to add Stanford, Cal, SMU: Conference presidents approve expansion to 18 schools | Page 15 | The Boneyard

ACC votes to add Stanford, Cal, SMU: Conference presidents approve expansion to 18 schools

Reaction Score
I am not so sure though I respect your cogent argument. The ACC channel needs viewers and UConn could provide them in metro NYC and southern New England. We would also give the ACC a needed boost in basketball. The B12 may still decide to invite UConn, too. I wonder if USF may try to get into the Big 10 given its location and recent AAU membership.
I am not so sure though I respect your cogent argument. The ACC channel needs viewers and UConn could provide them in metro NYC and southern New England. We would also give the ACC a needed boost in basketball. The B12 may still decide to invite UConn, too. I wonder if USF may try to get into the Big 10 given its location and recent AAU membership.
I hope you are correct, but we have been through this just too many times now. Feels like recent events has been a crushing blow and with ESPN now piling on even more than usual for them, hard to believe anything anymore. ACCN is already in metro NYC so no new accounts would be added I suspect. Automatically included in Optimum sports package and also on YoutubeTV. Same thing with BTN. If you want sports you pay for them whether you want them or not.

Reaction Score
I don't think it will, TCU & Baylor do ok with similar sized stadiums & they won't depend on gate revenue
I don't think it will, TCU & Baylor do ok with similar sized stadiums & they won't depend on gate revenue
SMU is more dependent on gate than anyone to offset the lack of media money . Unless donors are providing an annual revenue to offset the loss . ND makes most of its revenue from donors . so it’s not unheard of .

Reaction Score
SMU is more dependent on gate than anyone to offset the lack of media money . Unless donors are providing an annual revenue to offset the loss . ND makes most of its revenue from donors . so it’s not unheard of .
There won't be a loss per se. They will make more from the ACCN and conference payouts than they were getting from the AAC. And if Houston and TCU are anything to gauge from, there will be a significant bump in home attendance once they move up.

That said, the SMU donors are significant and will definitely play a role.

Reaction Score
Was referring more to stadium size, they don't need a 60,000 seat stadium for most of their home games. If they have Notre Dame or Oklahoma at home then they could easily move that game to the Cotton Bowl to max out ticket revenue

Reaction Score
This is going to be huge for SMU. It will be on a level playing field with Miami, Duke and Wake, as long as that lasts, in a football crazy market. Sure, college sports in boston is for the birds, but Dallas is such a football crazed area and great sports town. I could see kids wanting to go to Dallas as opposed to Lubbock or Waco. SMU could upgrade lacrosse to varsity and recruit texas like crazy. Bring in Tulane and Rice and 2 more publics, in the other direction.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
If Notre Dame wants the big bucks from NBC, it needs to play more B1G teams and less ACC teams…

The OSU-ND game drew the largest college football audience on NBC in 30 years…

Agreed - they should just join the B1G.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We need to hear more about the Big 10 and about Notre Dame. I want to thank all the fans of both that have continued sharing news on those topics with UConn fans.

Reaction Score
If Notre Dame wants the big bucks from NBC, it needs to play more B1G teams and less ACC teams…

The OSU-ND game drew the largest college football audience on NBC in 30 years…

Your regular reminder that a TV rating is the average over the entire broadcast. Close games, which lose few switching off and gain switchers on, do on average well. Blowouts/boring games do the opposite and will on average have a lesser rating.

Ohio St is the biggest B10 brand and it was an exciting game. A high rating was not a surprise.
An exciting game against FSU would do well too (tho prob not as good as OSU.).

Reaction Score
This is going to be huge for SMU. It will be on a level playing field with Miami, Duke and Wake, as long as that lasts, in a football crazy market. Sure, college sports in boston is for the birds, but Dallas is such a football crazed area and great sports town. I could see kids wanting to go to Dallas as opposed to Lubbock or Waco. SMU could upgrade lacrosse to varsity and recruit texas like crazy. Bring in Tulane and Rice and 2 more publics, in the other direction.
would this include UConn?

Reaction Score
Your regular reminder that a TV rating is the average over the entire broadcast. Close games, which lose few switching off and gain switchers on, do on average well. Blowouts/boring games do the opposite and will on average have a lesser rating.

Ohio St is the biggest B10 brand and it was an exciting game. A high rating was not a surprise.
An exciting game against FSU would do well too (tho prob not as good as OSU.).

Week 1 Ohio State @ Indiana was the highest rated Week 1 game on CBS since 1998.

Reaction Score
While intersectional made-for-TV games often draw large audiences, it is much more difficult for most intraconference games to surpass the very solid 3 million viewer threshold.

... an audience of more than 4 million for an intraconference game, has happened far more often in the Big Ten and the SEC than it has in any other league over the last decade or so.

Reaction Score
Nielsen wise, 2020 Clemson-ND seems to have topped the final NBC numbers (5.3). But streaming might have tipped the total audience to Saturday’s game. Also Ohio State-ND’s 2022 had a 5.2 share, but it’s ad money went to ABC.

In the end, ND does best when playing top-ranked teams. B10 has more natural rivals, as it has had for a century. If they ever do get over their independence fears, maybe they’ll get over their B10 fears all at the same time.

Reaction Score
Liberty is 4-0 with wins over Bowling Green, New Mexico State, Buffalo, and our good friends from FIU (38-6 btw). It plays ODU from the Sun Belt, UMass, and the rest are C-USA games. It could probably go undefeated this year just in time to replace UVA.

Reaction Score
Liberty is 4-0 with wins over Bowling Green, New Mexico State, Buffalo, and our good friends from FIU (38-6 btw). It plays ODU from the Sun Belt, UMass, and the rest are C-USA games. It could probably go undefeated this year just in time to replace UVA.
Haha. The ACC would actually take UConn before they’d add Liberty.

Reaction Score
I think the ACC will get the leftovers from the Big 12 after the B1G & SEC take the teams they want. This will give us another shot at the Big 12 unless what’s left of the Big 12 joins the MWC

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
I think the ACC will get the leftovers from the Big 12 after the B1G & SEC take the teams they want. This will give us another shot at the Big 12 unless what’s left of the Big 12 joins the MWC
No Big 12 won't get raided UConn , Memphis , S. Florida are on the ACC radar.

Reaction Score
Was referring more to stadium size, they don't need a 60,000 seat stadium for most of their home games. If they have Notre Dame or Oklahoma at home then they could easily move that game to the Cotton Bowl to max out ticket revenue
Its current stadium is smaller than Rentschler Field, though a new end zone project is underway.
medium_5d290ede017c84bfae412bd07f822763.jpg

Reaction Score
What leftovers? Where are the B12 teams going?

Reaction Score
UConn is in a difficult but not untenable position . If you. believe things will work out by maintaining the status quo you’re condemned to repeat failure.
We devalued ourselves on the market and it’s within our power to reverse it.
The plan:?
1.,Invest in football $5,000 ,000 to $10,000,000 annually for 5 years mostly in staff and recruiting effort .the goal is to be competitive .with 75% of the P programs
2. Increase the the value of BB making it a more important consideration in CR than it has been .. Getting the return on our tournament fron 17% to 50% . The current return is appalling and the increase does not affect another sports program by simply modifying the Mission of the NCAA.
3. Leverage womens basketball as it’s the biggest growth potential in the short term and is currently undervalued .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SMU is so valuable because of the Dallas market. Right? Right? Oh... oops:
1696515303961.png

Only 18,000 people watched their game. Yikes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom