ACC votes to add Stanford, Cal, SMU: Conference presidents approve expansion to 18 schools | Page 11 | The Boneyard

ACC votes to add Stanford, Cal, SMU: Conference presidents approve expansion to 18 schools

Reaction Score
You have a duty to ALL citizens of the state, not only the rich or upper middle class.

It's still a public institution.

If you ask me, UConn is actually past the point of affordability for the average citizen of the state.
How are their need based aid packages? How is their Academic Scholarship funding? Not all fundraising goes to Academics and Athletics. Some goes toward FA.

Reaction Score
How are their need based aid packages? How is their Academic Scholarship funding? Not all fundraising goes to Academics and Athletics. Some goes toward FA.
Almost no state schools give a significant amount of financial aid. There may be programs in some states funded by the legislature, but typically the school has nothing to do with that. Quite the opposite, schools are sometimes expected to fund those programs in part, which makes no sense really.

My main point however holds. UConn has almost no headroom left when it comes to tuition.

Reaction Score
Does UConn require each student/family to pay a fee for athletics outside tuition and room and board? If anyone knows - I would like to know what is the number?

Reaction Score
Conference realignment isn’t done yet and the geographical misfit of some of these newly formed conferences is so dumb that it’s not gonna hold up long term. I also think the future of media is going to move toward single teams vs. single conferences. The top of the top football schools like Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, etc are subsidizing their conferences and at some point they could pull a Texas or Notre Dame and opt to strike their own media contract deal. Streaming is only going to further drive this. These decisions are now clearly not being made with clear heads and I’m not sure what the ACC has against UConn, but honestly I think we will end up in a better spot than most of these ACC teams.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Almost no state schools give a significant amount of financial aid. There may be programs in some states funded by the legislature, but typically the school has nothing to do with that. Quite the opposite, schools are sometimes expected to fund those programs in part, which makes no sense really.

My main point however holds. UConn has almost no headroom left when it comes to tuition.
I know you work in schools but what do you mean by this? Everyone I know who goes to UConn receives significant financial aid.

Reaction Score
Does UConn require each student/family to pay a fee for athletics outside tuition and room and board? If anyone knows - I would like to know what is the number?
Athletics is included under the General University Fee which for 2023-2024 is $785/semester.

The first Athletic Annual Report released ?Wednesday has this blurb/slide:

“How Athletics Uses Student Fees

The Division of Athletics is one of several departments on campus that receives a portion of its funding through student fees.

Other departments on campus that receive partial funding through student fees include Recreational Services, One Card Office, Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts, Student Activities and Student Union, and the Off-Campus Student Services Office. In FY23, $5.6 million in student fees were allocated to athletics for services and value provided to the student body:
  • Tickets to all UConn athletic events are free.
  • Athletics facilities are made available rent-free for a variety of student run organizations and events.
  • Hundreds of students are provided employment opportunities throughout the department.
  • The Division of Athletics pays the student fees for its student-athletes on scholarship.
  • Operating costs related to student-section management, including security, as well as the overall maintenance and upkeep of shared facilities from rentals.

Reaction Score
B'casters last night were saying they've already decided to do away with divisions.
Which is why it ultimately makes the most sense for the programs in power to split off and make 4 12-team conferences. May not be 64 teams like our basketball-centric minds thought. I still think that overall we should be comfortably be in that 48 team rapture

Reaction Score
Athletics is included under the General University Fee which for 2023-2024 is $785/semester.

The first Athletic Annual Report released ?Wednesday has this blurb/slide:

“How Athletics Uses Student Fees

The Division of Athletics is one of several departments on campus that receives a portion of its funding through student fees.

Other departments on campus that receive partial funding through student fees include Recreational Services, One Card Office, Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts, Student Activities and Student Union, and the Off-Campus Student Services Office. In FY23, $5.6 million in student fees were allocated to athletics for services and value provided to the student body:
  • Tickets to all UConn athletic events are free.
  • Athletics facilities are made available rent-free for a variety of student run organizations and events.
  • Hundreds of students are provided employment opportunities throughout the department.
  • The Division of Athletics pays the student fees for its student-athletes on scholarship.
  • Operating costs related to student-section management, including security, as well as the overall maintenance and upkeep of shared facilities from rentals.
So my question is.....Is this standard in most Universities? Seems like a good chunk of money each semester

Reaction Score
I know you work in schools but what do you mean by this? Everyone I know who goes to UConn receives significant financial aid.
That's a surprise to me. At UB, almost no one receives it. It's how things always used to be.

I'm assuming you don't mean student loans.

In NY state, families that make under $125k receive financial aid from the state, but not the university.

UConn may be moving to a private school type model if it's giving people aid and charging others $19500.

Reaction Score
So my question is.....Is this standard in most Universities? Seems like a good chunk of money each semester
It's almost impossible to measure, but you can figure it out by looking at the student fees given to the athletic department. That would give you a better sense of the subsidy. In other words, don't look at the charge, look at the ADs budget for the total amount of student fee subsidy.

Reaction Score
Just curious: what B1G school do you support?

Reaction Score
Look I can’t sugarcoat this, it sucks not getting into a power 4 (so far) but all I can say is sometimes when things look dire, UConn seems to turn it around and shock all of us. Here, let me show you, and hopefully cheer you boys up a little bit:

Reaction Score
That's a surprise to me. At UB, almost no one receives it. It's how things always used to be.

In NY state, families that make under $125k receive financial aid from the state, but not the university.

UConn may be moving to a private school type model if it's giving people aid and charging others $19500.
I thought most of what UConn offered was merit based, not need based. My friend's daughter was valedictorian. She's pocketing money. That type of excellence should ne rewarded IMO. She's doing mechanical engineering so, she's continued kicking ass.

Reaction Score

UConn students get substantial student aid. The average in state pre-aid cost is $35.8k and the average after-aid cost is $21.7k. That is why UConn is still a relative bargain for in-state kids. Of course, if your parents are making $200k per year, you are probably not getting any financial help.

Reaction Score

I don't know how it all works but I know some happy dads that their kids chose UConn. One of them is a Syracuse dad and UConn hater, he said what UConn offered was too great for his son to even think about Syracuse.

Reaction Score
UConn students get substantial student aid. The average in state pre-aid cost is $35.8k and the average after-aid cost is $21.7k. That is why UConn is still a relative bargain for in-state kids. Of course, if your parents are making $200k per year, you are probably not getting any financial help.
200k ain't all that much, when trying to pay 36k a year, and when you factor back to back kids like i had forget about it. We will have probably have like 20k for each kid.

Reaction Score
I was asking because some schools like Michigan provide a lot of subsidy support from the academic side.
Purdue is no nonsense University
Same tuition for 12 consecutive years- limited scholarships....hi value hi outcome school

Reaction Score
I thought most of what UConn offered was merit based, not need based. My friend's daughter was valedictorian. She's pocketing money. That type of excellence should ne rewarded IMO. She's doing mechanical engineering so, she's continued kicking ass.
Both are true, there a couple of tiers of Academic Excellence awards, not need based. UConn pulls kids away from the IVIES routinely. Need based packages are a mix of grants, loans and work study. Percentages have changed over time.
UPSTATER, you are UConn grad and teach/work at UB?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Went to IU - have two kids at Purdue

That's interesting. I know a few local (to Connecticut) Indiana grads (one mid 20's, one mid 30's, one early 50's) who all have a serious hatred for Purdue. Did you feel betrayed when they chose the school or is it not a universal feeling among Hoosiers?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom