ACC Regular Season 2023-24 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

ACC Regular Season 2023-24

Reaction Score

Attachments

• 1000000702.png
    1000000702.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
Reaction Score
She works for a college university and doesn't know what the word "propensity" means? WOW, the two sitting next to her look so uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Trash arse press conference. Glad I don't root for this squad. Why would any players sign up for this? For the honor of wearing soft blue jerseys?

:rolleyes: She's the worst. (no bias)

Her and Kelly seemed to be saying very different things in that press conference I thought. Kelly perhaps took a slight dig with her Kumbaya comment - at least I took it as a shot at the culture on the team. Banghart just put it all on the players without any sort of self reflection or self blame.

She may very well be a genius coach and mother Teresa for all I know, but I’m glad she’s the coach in Chapel Hill and not Raleigh.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Her and Kelly seemed to be saying very different things in that press conference I thought. Kelly perhaps took a slight dig with her Kumbaya comment - at least I took it as a shot at the culture on the team. Banghart just put it all on the players without any sort of self reflection or self blame.

She may very well be a genius coach and mother Teresa for all I know, but I’m glad she’s the coach in Chapel Hill and not Raleigh.

Perhaps I'm a savage, but rivalries are better when you can hate/dislike the coaches as well as the teams. Too bad that yall won't have home and home with the Heels next season and beyond. Trust me though... we Duke fans have enough hate/dislike for every thing light blue that we can share it with yall.

Reaction Score
Perhaps I'm a savage, but rivalries are better when you can hate/dislike the coaches as well as the teams. Too bad that yall won't have home and home with the Heels next season and beyond. Trust me though... we Duke fans have enough hate/dislike for every thing light blue that we can share it with yall.
I still cant believe that. That’s the sort of thing that is slowly chipping away at the very fabric of college sports and what makes them so fun. So now, the school 100% of State fans despise more than any other we won’t play twice a year in order to squeeze in games against BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Stanford, Cal and SMU? Absurd!

The whole deal with college athletics is regional rivalries. In the state of NC, North Carolina State and North Carolina at Chapel Hill are the 2 largest schools and the majority of their alums stay in state. So the 2 biggest public universities are no longer playing home and homes is wild to me. nearly half of my family are Chapel Hill alums and the other half went to State. (You’ll be happy to know there are 2 oddball Dukies). But my point is that closeness and interwoven-ness of the schools, the alums and the fans is what makes it fun.

I know absolutely 0 Boston College fans. 0 SMU, Cal, Stanford, Pitt, Louisville or Syracuse fans. Sure I want the Pack to win those games, but a loss to those teams doesn’t sting the same. A win doesn’t bring the same joy. I won’t have to face a single person who wants to gloat about their school beating mine. There is no overlap there - it’s just some school I have no affinity, dislike or emotion about.

Sorry for the rant but that’s just wild to me. I can remember sitting at lunch room tables in the cafeteria with kids my age back in elementary and middle school and when sports came up it was always “State or Carolina?” No one mentioned wake or Duke or anyone else. I’m not trying to bang on Duke/UNCCH as a rivalry at all-but I do think locally State is every bit of if not more of a rivalry simply because of the alumni bases of both schools. Duke is a much smaller school and most kids come from out of state. It’s a totally different dynamic.

Reaction Score
I have both kind of rivalries and I think it's natural to have both. For example in football ND-USC is a big deal but to me at least is based on mutual respect but ND-Michigan isn't. The USC deal was made by Rockne long ago. Michigan did their best to sabotage ND in the same era and the feelings really stem from there.

Reaction Score
I still cant believe that. That’s the sort of thing that is slowly chipping away at the very fabric of college sports and what makes them so fun. So now, the school 100% of State fans despise more than any other we won’t play twice a year in order to squeeze in games against BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Stanford, Cal and SMU? Absurd!

The whole deal with college athletics is regional rivalries. In the state of NC, North Carolina State and North Carolina at Chapel Hill are the 2 largest schools and the majority of their alums stay in state. So the 2 biggest public universities are no longer playing home and homes is wild to me. nearly half of my family are Chapel Hill alums and the other half went to State. (You’ll be happy to know there are 2 oddball Dukies). But my point is that closeness and interwoven-ness of the schools, the alums and the fans is what makes it fun.

I know absolutely 0 Boston College fans. 0 SMU, Cal, Stanford, Pitt, Louisville or Syracuse fans. Sure I want the Pack to win those games, but a loss to those teams doesn’t sting the same. A win doesn’t bring the same joy. I won’t have to face a single person who wants to gloat about their school beating mine. There is no overlap there - it’s just some school I have no affinity, dislike or emotion about.

Sorry for the rant but that’s just wild to me. I can remember sitting at lunch room tables in the cafeteria with kids my age back in elementary and middle school and when sports came up it was always “State or Carolina?” No one mentioned wake or Duke or anyone else. I’m not trying to bang on Duke/UNCCH as a rivalry at all-but I do think locally State is every bit of if not more of a rivalry simply because of the alumni bases of both schools. Duke is a much smaller school and most kids come from out of state. It’s a totally different dynamic.
I hear you. Just like with Cal and Stanford. We need home and away games every year.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score

That is a fantastic post, and for the uneducated or unaware, perfectly describes what it's like being part of the UNC/NC State rivalry.

So..it appears starting next year, UNC and NC State (and NC State vs. Duke) will only be scheduled once a year, breaking a tradition of playing twice a year since 1978. I am hoping that out-of-conference games can be scheduled with UNC and Duke going forward so NC State will still be able to play those two teams twice a year.

If the teams want it to happen, those in charge of scheduling for NC State, UNC and Duke will make it happen.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Yeah... State and Chapel Hill should have home and homes... You got to have the Flagship play the Land Grant twice if they are in the same conference. To be honest.. Wake and Duke have far more in common than Duke has with either Chapel Hill or State.

Yeah... at the lunch room or classroom.. most of the unwashed masses cheered for the baby blue... a few state fans... then I was the lonely Duke fan. The Tar heel fans would have their chant. .. Duke is puke, Wake is Fake, but the one I hate is NC State. :confused:

That is a fantastic post, and for the uneducated or unaware, perfectly describes what it's like being part of the UNC/NC State rivalry.

So..it appears starting next year, UNC and NC State (and NC State vs. Duke) will only be scheduled once a year, breaking a tradition of playing twice a year since 1978. I am hoping that out-of-conference games can be scheduled with UNC and Duke going forward so NC State will still be able to play those two teams twice a year.

If the teams want it to happen, those in charge of scheduling for NC State, UNC and Duke will make it happen.

Its a shame.... I enjoyed whipping up on wolf behind twice a year. :p

At least its better in football... starting next year, the four NC schools will play each other every year in the new ACC.. Crazy that two schools 30 miles apart.. State hadn't played in Durham since 2013 before we whipped yall last fall. We kicked wolf tail in 2009 in Raleigh, and didn't play again in Raleigh until 2020.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
At least its better in football... starting next year, the four NC schools will play each other every year in the new ACC.. Crazy that two schools 30 miles apart.. State hadn't played in Durham since 2013 before we whipped yall last fall. We kicked wolf tail in 2009 in Raleigh, and didn't play again in Raleigh until 2020.
On the NC State boards a couple of years ago, there was a thread about "What would Jimmy V say if he came back to life?". My response was that he would be shocked that NC State and Duke didn't play each other in football annually anymore.

Reaction Score
Yeah... State and Chapel Hill should have home and homes... You got to have the Flagship play the Land Grant twice if they are in the same conference. To be honest.. Wake and Duke have far more in common than Duke has with either Chapel Hill or State.

Yeah... at the lunch room or classroom.. most of the unwashed masses cheered for the baby blue... a few state fans... then I was the lonely Duke fan. The Tar heel fans would have their chant. .. Duke is puke, Wake is Fake, but the one I hate is NC State. :confused:

Its a shame.... I enjoyed whipping up on wolf behind twice a year. :p

lol.

Yes I remember hearing that little nursery rhyme many times. Of course State fans would supply a remix of Duke is puke wake is fake the team that’s great is NC State.

And thanks for bringing up that football game. Really appreciate that fond memory. But perhaps it was the kick in the teeth we needed - the season sky rocketed after that miraculously.

State and Duke have had some fun football games over the years. It’s all absurd really. The big 4 should be playing each other every year. The only hope I have is that the conference somehow survives and gets to some sort of pod system or division that somehow could get the big 4 together and maybe sneak in Clemson, uva, VT and perhaps GT or someone like that. I miss the ACC of the 90s (just not the Wolfpack results of the 90s!!)

Reaction Score
Where are my Clemson and FSU brothers and sisters on this ACC thread....this seems to be all about the Triangle. If it were not for FSU and Clemson, the ACC would've folded a long time ago!!!:p:p

If y'all start some (s)hiT with me....watch out for Cockhornleghorn, he's coming to rescue me...he's a 3 time Mr. All World Bodybuilder...:D

Reaction Score

Trash arse press conference. Glad I don't root for this squad. Why would any players sign up for this? For the honor of wearing soft blue jerseys?

:rolleyes: She's the worst. (no bias)

Thanks for posting this. I was surprised to hear her comments. They've taken a step back this year and I kinda think it's on the coach though they've had a ton of injuries

Reaction Score
Seriously, why did teams stop playing non-conference home and homes with rivals?

Seems like most of the rivalries in South did at one time. But they stopped. I would think the gates would be better and it would build interest.

I wonder whether it was NCAA rule change or mandate somehow.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

The former coach of Princeton lost me with her professed confusion about what the word "propensity" means...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since the college you root for isn't a member of the ACC and you don't have a vested interest in the ACC anymore, I don't see why what happens in the conference bothers you. Clearly, you look down your nose at the 4 North Carolina members of the conference. So, I'm guessing maybe you were around at the time South Carolina separated?

Noone alive today in a position of power in the ACC had anything to do with what led South Carolina to leave all those years ago. Maybe, it's about time to let it go and get focused on something else.
Yeah, I’m an old timer and there is some rresidual distaste but we did play 4 ACC teams this year - two of which we on Tobacco Road. (I keep starting to slip and add Maryland. LOL).

Remember that the majority of our old dislike goes toward UNC. We didn’t even laugh when Swofford shorted Clempsun with some policies much less FSU. I always pulled for the other 3 NC teams against UNC. Jimmy V vs Dean? C’mon!

But I also understand the traditions of Greensboro - though I don’t remember them or ACC refs that last year very fondly

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom