ACC expansion | Page 8 | The Boneyard

ACC expansion

Reaction Score
Exactly this ⬆️

20,22,24 could all probably work but there is certainly an ideal max and 30 is likely well over it. Especially when it's 30 in the 3rd best conference. Best case XII has 6-8 ranked football teams each year. That leaves a lot of unranked content that isn't paying for 30 schools. Iowa State at Washington State @ 10PM on a Friday night is not exactly must see TV.

If XII were to go to 20 now, there's probably only 4 seats left at the XII table (5 if KU is poached by B1G). UConn would have to beat out multiple ACC leftovers to get to that 4/5.

Reaction Score
Exactly this ⬆️

20,22,24 could all probably work but there is certainly an ideal max and 30 is likely well over it. Especially when it's 30 in the 3rd best conference. Best case XII has 6-8 ranked football teams each year. That leaves a lot of unranked content that isn't paying for 30 schools. Iowa State at Washington State @ 10PM on a Friday night is not exactly must see TV.

If XII were to go to 20 now, there's probably only 4 seats left at the XII table (5 if KU is poached by B1G). UConn would have to beat out multiple ACC leftovers to get to that 4/5.
And we all know that won't happen. They will take the ACC leftovers before UConn, just like they took the PAC 12 schools.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There is not enough money to feed that many teams unless you have a lot of really valuable programs. At some point the law of diminishing returns kicks in.
Exactly this ⬆️

It's even below 24. One of the people who understands the media deals said that even the 18-20 range is diminishing returns for the media companies. There is less of the content they want and more of what they don't want. People talking about 2 or even just 3 leagues are not facing reality. The 2 giant super leagues can happen, but not until football splits off. They have to weed out the schools in conference that they don't want and grab others not in the top two now.

Reaction Score
Not every conference will be the same size. It will depend on what teams can be added to each conference that either equals or increases the average payout to all other conference members. If the B1G goes to 20 or 24, it doesn't mean the SEC or Big 12 will do the same, or vice versa. It just depends on the value each individual school will bring to the conference.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Others would say those who don't understand why Tulane is being considered shouldn't be taken seriously.
It would be ironic. Tulane's facilities are all pretty new and while nice they are decidedly modest. Nothing there says big-time. And they get a spot?

Reaction Score
Well if they want to improve basketball there is really only one school available for them to add with Cal/Stamford, and it isn't SMU.
BB is a relatively small investment compared to football. With NIL, any school wanting to upgrade their BB team can do so in a short period of time.

Reaction Score

My understanding is that UNC favors a plan that gives the schools with the most value(FSU,CLE,MIA,UNC,Duke) more base payments & rewarding all with performance based incentives. They are proposing to do this with mostly new money Calford/SMU savings,CFP & tourney revenue.

Reaction Score
It's really hard not to take the latest two snubs personally. It just seems that no matter what UConn does it's just not good enough. As someone who has great interest in the football program (as well as basketball) I can't see a prolonged path forward with independence.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It's really hard not to take the latest two snubs personally. It just seems that no matter what UConn does it's just not good enough. As someone who has great interest in the football program (as well as basketball) I can't see a prolonged path forward with independence.

Stop crying.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

If anything, this ridiculous move just expedites the ACC implosion.

I predict that by the end of the ACC media deal, there will be significant movement as this isn't a long term strategic move, it's a desperate attempt to squeeze out a few more mill per team while the money is available.

Reaction Score
I can't take what happened with the Big12 personally. It wasn't "if we don't get the whole PAC conference to jump, we'll take UConn." That debacle came about because UW/OU whored themselves out to the Big10, and in effect have led everyone else to conclude that the P5/4 seats are so valuable you must do WHATEVER it takes to get there. Take little or no money? Check. Put your olympic sports on flights from California to Tallahassee? Check.

The ACC on the other hand will piss on UConn any and every chance it gets GUARANTEED!

Reaction Score
If anything, this ridiculous move just expedites the ACC implosion.

I predict that by the end of the ACC media deal, there will be significant movement as this isn't a long term strategic move, it's a desperate attempt to squeeze out a few more mill per team while the money is available.
Only the top two leagues have the luxury of long-term moves. Everyone else is doubling up on Utah or adding the Bay schools to a Southeast-based conference. Money train is slowing down, so trying to eek out the last little bit while we can.

Reaction Score
I
Im with you man. I can appreciate people on this board wanting to be optimistic but UConn athletics has been one of the biggest financial failure in all of college sports. I’m not talking about our performance on the field/court but just in terms of how much we’ve invested vs gotten in return. No matter what anyone on this board says, you cannot continue to support a nationally-relevant athletics program on $7M a year for the long term. Just doesn’t happen. Something has to give and I fear that we’re only years away from the football program shutting down.

People can call me a doomer or whatever but this has been the worst 3 month period possible for our athletics program. There’s literally not a single thing that could have gone worse for us.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Only the top two leagues have the luxury of long-term moves. Everyone else is doubling up on Utah or adding the Bay schools to a Southeast-based conference. Money train is slowing down, so trying to eek out the last little bit while we can.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily faulting them. They know the merry go round ends in 2036.

There's is just zero way that Stanford, Cal, or SMU would help them negotiate a better media deal in 2036 than UConn... while not being a total geographical albatross.

But, like you said, it isn't about that..it's about adding another $25-$30M per team over the next ~7 or so years and figuring out a new way of life when the GOR expires.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
continue to support a nationally-relevant athletics program on $7M a year for the long term. Just doesn’t happen. Something has to give and I fear that we’re only years away from the football program shutting down.
Fortunately for us, the governor of the state of Connecticut thinks otherwise and has said so publicly.

Reaction Score
Fortunately for us, the governor of the state of Connecticut thinks otherwise and has said so publicly.
Do you know or anyone else here know what he has actually done as far as getting ESPN to help out UConn? Even in this latest ACC expansion, ESPN is controlling everything and UConn is not even mentioned.

Reaction Score
Why can't the ACC basketball schools flex their power this time (like FSU and Clemson did last time on Louisville) and insist on UConn instead of SMU in order to get their vote?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Do you know or anyone else here know what he has actually done as far as getting ESPN to help out UConn? Even in this latest ACC expansion, ESPN is controlling everything and UConn is not even mentioned.

Apparently he reached out to them and indicated that we'd be appreciative of anything they can do to help us get in a, then, P5 conference. That was a while ago though.

What I was referring to is his public commitment to keep Connecticut adequately funded to remain at the highest levels of competition regardless of our conference affiliation. That's a big statement. Of course, it's only good as long as he wants it to be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom