ACC Basketball a Dud | The Boneyard

ACC Basketball a Dud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Living on Tobacco Road I can tell you there is a deeply personal hatred of UConn, especially in the local "media." I honestly don't even understand why (lawsuit? though they accepted Pitt and SU) but it exists. These people have deluded themselves to the point they seriously believe Syracuse is a far better program than UConn, past and present.

To me, unless something drastic changes, the ACC is a complete non-starter.

(Disclaimer: NC State is my alma mater and I love the school.. but loathe the conference)

Reaction Score
Living on Tobacco Road I can tell you there is a deeply personal hatred of UConn, especially in the local "media." I honestly don't even understand why (lawsuit? though they accepted Pitt and SU) but it exists. These people have deluded themselves to the point they seriously believe Syracuse is a far better program than UConn, past and present.

(Disclaimer: NC State is my alma mater and I love the school.. but loathe the conference)

They hate us because we won't die.

Reaction Score

Unfortunately it is like my old boss. I hate you guys, but we need you for the paycheck. So I'll play nice.

Reaction Score

It couldn't have anything to do with beating Duke in 1999 and 2004, could it?

It's certainly not anything to do with academics and sanctions since that type of think doesn't matter at all on Tobacco Road. Hmmmmmmmm.

So what is it?

Reaction Score

I am sure that the SEC would welcome NC State with open arms. Your biggest problem there is NC State’s political connections to UNC, which has its own connection to Duke. For better (at least NC State is not in the America) or worse, the Wolfpack appears to be stuck in the ACC until (if) UNC bolts for the B1G or the SEC.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth I'm not even posting from the perspective of NC State (just wanted to give context).

I'm a Uconn fan who grew up a Big East fan. Just sharing what I feel is the ACC (fan/media) perspective on UConn.

Reaction Score

Here's why "Tobacco road" likes Syracuse better - because they're underachievers. No D-1 program has a more phony reputation than Syracuse.
JB has won 1 title in 36+ yrs. UConn, starting early success in the late 80s, Ray's run, the classic against Duke in 1999, the Kemba show and now KO and his guys, has overachieved for the most part. UConn may not make it to the title this weekend, but how many of Buffet's 11mm brackets even had UConn in the final four? And don't be surprised if they do it!

The ACC's BB royalty from "Tobacco Road" does not want to be mentioned in the same breath as UConn. Duke, UNC and NCST want to be in the lime light and, in a perverse way, Syracuse helps keep it on them. Why? Because when the rubber meets the road, Syracuse most often blows a tire. With UConn, there is always the chance they'll do something crazy and extraordinary and steal the limelight. GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
Nary a word about the American Athletic Conference being pigeon holed into having no possibility of advancing more than one team past the sweet 16 (Louisville doesn't count) and still putting a program in the final four. Nary a word about an AAC program being snubbed over an NC State program and playing in the NIT championship tomorrow.

Such things should not be talked about on Tobacco Road.

Imagine, the AAC being better than the ACC in basketball. The horror. The horror.

Reaction Score
Question for the basketball gurus:

Seriously, I have no idea about things like "NCAA tournament credits" except that they exist and they are a measure of money and success in the NCAA post season.

The inaugural AAC basketball season yielded 4 tournament selections if I'm not mistaken - with one clear snub - and the ACC - in their first season as the newly proclaimed best confernec in the country - got 6 selections right?

SO the question is how does this AAC conference stand right now with tournament credits for 2014 vs. the ACC?

(without any knowledge, I can predict comfortably that the SEC at least, and probably the Big 10, are doing better than both already - and with more UCONN wins, the AAC stands to gain ground)

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Here's why "Tobacco road" likes Syracuse better - because they're underachievers. No D-1 program has a more phony reputation than Syracuse.
JB has won 1 title in 36+ yrs. UConn, starting early success in the late 80s, Ray's run, the classic against Duke in 1999, the Kemba show and now KO and his guys, has overachieved for the most part. UConn may not make it to the title this weekend, but how many of Buffet's 11mm brackets even had UConn in the final four? And don't be surprised if they do it!

The ACC's BB royalty from "Tobacco Road" does not want to be mentioned in the same breath as UConn. Duke, UNC and NCST want to be in the lime light and, in a perverse way, Syracuse helps keep it on them. Why? Because when the rubber meets the road, Syracuse most often blows a tire. With UConn, there is always the chance they'll do something crazy and extraordinary and steal the limelight. GO HUSKIES!

Spot on. The Fruit is the ultimate paper tiger whose status is inflated by the journalism grads who "cover" sports.

Reaction Score
Spot on. The Fruit is the ultimate paper tiger whose status is inflated by the journalism grads who "cover" sports.

Public perception vs. reality. Waging the publicity perception proganda war is the only tool Syracuse has. Unfortunately, it's not a weak tool.

Reaction Score
ACC has earned 12; AAC 11.

I believe that does not include the one UConn will earn Saturday so equal.

Reaction Score

Thanks! No arguing the results. Wouldn't it be something if the AAC earns more tourney credits than the ACC in it's very first year of existence?

Good lord - you'd hope that the media people reading this message board right now - would find a way to get the word out around the wall that ESPN would put up.

Reaction Score

Curious: How does it work? Accumulating tourney credits? Is it a simple 1:1 Win/Loss? (i.e. 1 win = 1 credit?)

Reaction Score
Curious: How does it work? Accumulating tourney credits? Is it a simple 1:1 Win/Loss? (i.e. 1 win = 1 credit?)

I'm not an expert but I believe it's simply games played. Not wins.

Reaction Score
I'm not an expert but I believe it's simply games played. Not wins.

Thanks. I don't know either I'm curious though. It seems that the mighty ACC, might end up the fourth best conference again, by actual real measurable stuff.

Looking at my bracket right now, it seems that even though the AAC had 4 programs in the tourney, the seeding produced a situation where the number of tourney credits was limited by simple math - never mind the possibility of a final four with more than one program from the conference (I'm not including Louisville - I think SMU would have advanced at least as far as Louisville did).

It would seem that to make things even across the board, that the conferences with multiple selections should be spread out among the bracket. I'm pretty sure that the AAC didn't have any representation on the selection seeding committee though, and the lesson there as always - is that when a committee is deciding something, if you're not represented at all, or poorly represented, you're going to get bent over the rail and take it in the can.

Anyway - if it's by games played - and we're 11 to 12 right now, it will be 12 - 12 on Saturday.

I'm rooting in every way can for it to be 12-12 because of a UCONN win.

Reaction Score
a google search yields this tidbit from a blogger of some sort I linked below. It's info that's categorized and certainly can be easily verified or refuted. But for now - assuming it's correct:

It seems that credits do accumulate by simple numbers of games played. Which means that the AAC was certainly limited in the amount of possible credits earned by the seedings - but that kind of thing can be avoided in the future hopefully by actually being represented on the selectiong committee. So after Saturday's national semi-finals (and the national championship game does not count apparently) the final tally for the top 6 ncaa tournament credit earning conferences in 2014 will be:

Big 10: 16
SEC: 16
Pac12: 15
Big12: 13
AAC: 12
ACC: 12

FWIW: Big East: 6

It would seem that in the current PBE era (post Big-East) for college basketball, the conferences that have benefitted the most, are the Big 10 and SEC, while the AAC, still remains on equal footing with the ACC.

One season does not make a trend, but in the Big East 3 decades, the ACC, consistently - in the past has been at least third wheel in college basketball. That seems to have gotten a bit worse this year.

http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2014/03/2014-ncaa-tournament-credits-earned-by.html

Reaction Score
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-acc-hoops-wrap,0,1643469.post

The nightmare of those Tobacco Road people has to be UConn and Kansas joining the B1G and relegating the ACC to the same status it has in football, only this time instead of the SEC casting a pigskin shadow, the B1G would eat the ACC's lunch.

You know what's funny? I don't think it's the threat of UCONN or Kansas, or any other individual conference movement, or the production/performance of the Big 10, or SEC or any other conference that makes people in the ACC wake up tasting bile at night. They've been second fiddle to those other conferences in football and basketball for a long, long time.

What's got to have the Tobacco Road folks up at night, is the cold hard reality, that in the future - the NEAR future - the American Athletic Conference might just out perform them. We will need the bottom half of the basketball conference to elevate through recruiting, and do it quickly, and we'll need our football programs to get into the bowl games and win them.

That potential has got to have people in the ACC really upset, and is probably the reason that the AAC was ignored in that article. They can ignore us, but it's not going to make us go away.

The American Athletic Conference is our home for the forseeable future, and what we need to do is win, as an individual program, and with each member of the conference winning in their individual ways, helping the others elevate themselves.

Reaction Score
ACC basketball is a dud is not news. They just picked out two of the biggest chokers in CUSE and PITT. Both are annual tournament early exit candidates every year.

The only news is ESPiN continuing to pimp ACC despite the actual results. I have yet to hear any ESPiN talking heads talking about how badly ACC performed this tournament. If it was the old BE, it would be all over Sports Center.

SMU taking out Clemson was just another example of ACC being overrated. SMU should have been in the NCAA over NCST. Instead, the ACC filled selection committee took those guys over SMU. Also, they over seeded every ACC school by 2 while totally screwed the AAC. Aresco better get that fixed ASAP cause those ACC clowns will continue play politics even when their actual performances don't justify it.

Reaction Score
Thanks! No arguing the results. Wouldn't it be something if the AAC earns more tourney credits than the ACC in it's very first year of existence?

Good lord - you'd hope that the media people reading this message board right now - would find a way to get the word out around the wall that ESPN would put up.

It already has:

The BIG and AAC makeup the CG of the NIT, at the expense of the ACC. They had two reps, lost both games.

No ACC team got past the Sweet Sixteen of the Tourney.

On the women's side, different story, but I don't see UConn losing, though ND has the best chance of beating them. My attitude about Maryland winning it all is they won't give a damn about the ACC in the process, and enough ACC fans will be negative about such a victory. I found it somewhat of a slap in the face that Md beat Lville at their place yesterday - most general ACC fans were rooting for their future conference mates.

ACC fans slam Md's departure, but they have the second most NCs in that conference. They may leave the ACC with more NCs - lacrosse. I don't see them winning the women's basketball tittle. But on their way out, they stayed consistently successful in other Olympic sports - second in Men's Soccer, final four of field hockey (go UConn). But they did lay an egg in football and men's basketball this year, the former being far too many injuries - but at least they beat both Va schools & NC State on the way out.

Reaction Score
ACC basketball is a dud is not news. They just picked out two of the biggest chokers in CUSE and PITT. Both are annual tournament early exit candidates every year.

The only news is ESPiN continuing to pimp ACC despite the actual results. I have yet to hear any ESPiN talking heads talking about how badly ACC performed this tournament. If it was the old BE, it would be all over Sports Center.

SMU taking out Clemson was just another example of ACC being overrated. SMU should have been in the NCAA over NCST. Instead, the ACC filled selection committee took those guys over SMU. Also, they over seeded every ACC school by 2 while totally screwed the AAC. Aresco better get that fixed ASAP cause those ACC clowns will continue play politics even when their actual performances don't justify it.

This is outside my area of sports knowledge. I freely admit I don't know much about basketball. I just know that there is no rush, quite like a tight basketball game, with UCONN winning shot or defensive play in the end. I can't tell you how to defend a pick and roll, or set one up, and I know what a zone defense looks like (after watching Syracuse for so many years) vs. what a man-man defense looks like, but I can't tell you how any of it works and how you would attack it. A basketball play is quite foreign to me vs. a football play. But whatever.....I love UCONN hoops - there is no rush in sports like it that I've experienced as a sports fan. (outside of football of course :)

What I do recognize, is the politics of it all, and I agree, that one of Aresco's and the conference offices main/top priorities in the immediate future, si to make sure that our best interests are included in decision making when it comes to something like seeding the NCAA tournament (and for that matter - the rankings of football teams and the playoff and bowl selection criteria there too)

Reaction Score
What I do recognize, is the politics of it all, and I agree, that one of Aresco's and the conference offices main/top priorities in the immediate future, si to make sure that our best interests are included in decision making when it comes to something like seeding the NCAA tournament (and for that matter - the rankings of football teams and the playoff and bowl selection criteria there too)

Also, this year's committee put 3 AAC schools in the East Region. If that's not obvious of a screw job on the AAC, I don't know what is. Aresco better get off his butt and get this fixed ASAP. Those ACC clowns are the best at playing dirty politics and dishing out propaganda with their sugar daddy ESPiN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom