ACC 2023 Off-Season and Season Predictions | The Boneyard

ACC 2023 Off-Season and Season Predictions

Reaction Score
Just wanted somewhere to post regarding the summer of some ACC teams. A lot of changes have occurred this off season. A lot of teams have gotten better. Really looking forward to the upcoming season of this conference.

Unpopular opinion alert, I do think that the injuries Notre Dame sustained late in the season lead to VT getting a number one seed and then making the final four.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
lynch.jpeg

Reaction Score
I got UNC winning the acc not va tech because I think kitley is too soft to be dominant

Reaction Score
I got UNC winning the acc not va tech because I think kitley is too soft to be dominant
UNC is really interesting. I like Deja Kelly a lot but I hate her shooting percentages. Lol. She seems like she can get to her spots and pull up on anyone, but she's just not very efficient. Nevertheless she seems like a good leader and willing to step up in big moments. I think Utsby will have a great year and she'll be a clear number 2 option with Todd Williams gone. Hopefully she's had a healthy off season with the coaching staff as I've always liked her versatility. Additionally, I remember it was kind of a big deal when they got Cierra Toomey. So I'm excited to see her but at the same time not sure where she fits. Can her and Teonni Key (who their coach once said was a WNBA player) play a lot together or does one get minutes over the other. Lastly they have like 4 points guards and Deja Kelly whose best position may be point guard. I actually think Donarski plays the point well too but it's quite a logjam of talented players. Paulina Paris had bright spots, but once healthy McPherson did as well. Then Nivar transferred in after seeing limited minutes at Stanford. Winning cures all and I believe in Banghart as a coach but it's a competitive conference and when ur losing and not playing it's tough as elite competitors. All that being said, I like their top 9. I can't see them winning the conference but if they are not top 3 that's a disappointment.
Kelly, Paris, Donarski, Utsby, Gakdeng, McPherson, Nivar, Key, Toomey

Reaction Score
UNC is really interesting. I like Deja Kelly a lot but I hate her shooting percentages. Lol. She seems like she can get to her spots and pull up on anyone, but she's just not very efficient. Nevertheless she seems like a good leader and willing to step up in big moments. I think Utsby will have a great year and she'll be a clear number 2 option with Todd Williams gone. Hopefully she's had a healthy off season with the coaching staff as I've always liked her versatility. Additionally, I remember it was kind of a big deal when they got Cierra Toomey. So I'm excited to see her but at the same time not sure where she fits. Can her and Teonni Key (who their coach once said was a WNBA player) play a lot together or does one get minutes over the other. Lastly they have like 4 points guards and Deja Kelly whose best position may be point guard. I actually think Donarski plays the point well too but it's quite a logjam of talented players. Paulina Paris had bright spots, but once healthy McPherson did as well. Then Nivar transferred in after seeing limited minutes at Stanford. Winning cures all and I believe in Banghart as a coach but it's a competitive conference and when ur losing and not playing it's tough as elite competitors. All that being said, I like their top 9. I can't see them winning the conference but if they are not top 3 that's a disappointment.
Kelly, Paris, Donarski, Utsby, Gakdeng, McPherson, Nivar, Key, Toomey
Who do you have top 4 in acc?
I have UNC, duke, louisville, va tech
Va tech lost three players from last season that had some toughness

Reaction Score
Who do you have top 4 in acc?
I have UNC, duke, louisville, va tech
Va tech lost three players from last season that had some toughness

Virginia Tech did lose some players, but they also picked up a crafty guard in Matilda Ekh from Michigan State. Pairing her with Amore should be fun, especially when they're both hot from the 3 point line.

Reaction Score
I have Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, North Carolina in my top 3. Then I have Duke, Florida State and Louisville 4-6. I think it's two different tiers, but admittedly may be too high on NC.
I think Notre Dame is the best team, with arguably the best player. Idk if Miles will be healthy to start the season but they added some depth at the guard position and if this summer is any indication Cassandre Prosper is more than ready to contribute. They have shooters, they have solid post play. They made the sweet 16 with their two main leaders hurt. Just think highly of them.
I like Louisville, and Walz is top tier. I love these 5th year scenarios where a very good player from a mid major gets to test themselves in the best conference so I'm happy for Sydney Taylor. I just worry her and Curry will struggle against some of the tougher ACC defenses.
I don't think Duke will take that much of a step back despite losing some seniors and key players in the portal. They got a solid class of underclassmen. I just think some of the teams above them have a bit more continuity with their key players but I think they'll be fine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, North Carolina in my top 3. Then I have Duke, Florida State and Louisville 4-6. I think it's two different tiers, but admittedly may be too high on NC.
I think Notre Dame is the best team, with arguably the best player. Idk if Miles will be healthy to start the season but they added some depth at the guard position and if this summer is any indication Cassandre Prosper is more than ready to contribute. They have shooters, they have solid post play. They made the sweet 16 with their two main leaders hurt. Just think highly of them.
I like Louisville, and Walz is top tier. I love these 5th year scenarios where a very good player from a mid major gets to test themselves in the best conference so I'm happy for Sydney Taylor. I just worry her and Curry will struggle against some of the tougher ACC defenses.
I don't think Duke will take that much of a step back despite losing some seniors and key players in the portal. They got a solid class of underclassmen. I just think some of the teams above them have a bit more continuity with their key players but I think they'll be fine.
Did Bradford break her leg?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Did Bradford break her leg?
Bransford and yes, reportedly a fractured tibia. Miles is also still recovering from surgery for an undisclosed injury and likely won't be ready to start the season.

Reaction Score
Bransford and yes, reportedly a fractured tibia. Miles is also still recovering from surgery for an undisclosed injury and likely won't be ready to start the season.
Yea thats why I didn't choose them for a top team yet.

Reaction Score
Virginia Tech did lose some players, but they also picked up a crafty guard in Matilda Ekh from Michigan State. Pairing her with Amore should be fun, especially when they're both hot from the 3 point line.
Yes but whose gonna play defense and have that dawg in them. Thats need for championships

Reaction Score
Yes but whose gonna play defense and have that dawg in them. Thats need for championships

You haven't seen Ekh play then, I'm assuming. I should have expanded on that. She's good at drawing charges and is much more fiery than her demeanour gives off.

I'll have to go through the balance of the roster to see who else could possibly fit that "dawg" role.

Reaction Score

Regarding Louisville, after watching them in Toronto this week, I'm looking forward to this roster this season.

Don't know if I'd be too concerned about Taylor being able to handle a higher level of play. She showed well against some of better guards Canada could put against her. Earned MVP for the tournament and a spot on USA Basketball's 3x3 squad for an upcoming event in Chile because of her play.

Reaction Score
You haven't seen Ekh play then, I'm assuming. I should have expanded on that. She's good at drawing charges and is much more fiery than her demeanour gives off.

I'll have to go through the balance of the roster to see who else could possibly fit that "dawg" role.
that one player they lost three plus no one in the post with dawg

Reaction Score
If I'm looking for players with that Dawg in them I look at those who were All-Tournament for their regionals in last years' tourney and are returning this year. In the ACC that would be only four players:

Hailey Van Lith/Louisville(Now LSU)
Georgia Amoore/Virginia Tech
Elizabeth Kitley/Virginia Tech
Jasmyne Roberts/Miami

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
that one player they lost three plus no one in the post with dawg

THey got a 6'2 transfer from Minnesota who averaged 14 and 8. Also a 6'2 scrappy 5th year forward from Wake Forest

Reaction Score
If I'm looking for players with that Dawg in them I look at those who were All-Tournament for their regionals in last years' tourney and are returning this year. In the ACC that would be only four players:

Hailey Van Lith/Louisville(Now LSU)
Georgia Amoore/Virginia Tech
Elizabeth Kitley/Virginia Tech
Jasmyne Roberts/Miami
Im sorry after seeing kitley in the final four she came off as soft to me. amoore on defensive side is a no for me. I will have actually see Hailey Van Lith be a dawg in the sec

Reaction Score
THey got a 6'2 transfer from Minnesota who averaged 14 and 8. Also a 6'2 scrappy 5th year forward from Wake Forest
That;s right. I forgot about Micheaux from Minnesota. She replaces a bit of what they lose with Soule and Traylor graduating. Very physical player, sometimes to a fault. Playing for a coach like Brooks will be very good for her development.

Reaction Score
It was announced that VT Coach Kenny Brooks signed a 6 year extension worth 6.4 million. VT has a really good squad this year. As @cancontent noted the Matilda Ekh signing was big. I think her and Carleigh Wenzel are pretty talented big guards. They should be a bit deeper despite losing some WNBA players this off season. I still like ND a bit better overall but time will tell.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom