About that early "first down" | The Boneyard

About that early "first down"

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
On NC State's first drive... how was this called a first down, and once it was, why was it not challenged? Was Mora afraid to use his challenge so early? Was there some view that indicated the runner made the first down (hard to believe). Easily a half yard or more short.

1693559074031.png

Granted, NC State may have gone for it on 4th and a half yard (and likely make the 1st), but this call and UConn's lack of a challenge stunned me.

Reaction Score
On NC State's first drive... how was this called a first down, and once it was, why was it not challenged? Was Mora afraid to use his challenge so early? Was there some view that indicated the runner made the first down (hard to believe). Easily a half yard or more short.

View attachment 91127

Granted, NC State may have gone for it on 4th and a half yard (and likely make the 1st), but this call and UConn's lack of a challenge stunned me.
That is exactly what I was thinking. How could the linesmen let that go?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The refs were clearly one sided tonight. NCSU had one penalty for five yards And it was a delay of game. That’s all they saw? Come on. Helen Keller would have seen more.

The team played hard, they competed, I'm happy with their play although I wanted a win.

The officiating was horrible. Bad spot for a first down, every significant call went one way, and I saw a blatant holding call on the edge on NCST on a large pickup that the officials had to see but didn't call. Shortly after that, they made that call against us on a very similar play

While simple math doesn't always tell the truth, your eyes don't lie

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Early in the game, an NCSt player put a forearm into the back of a players helmet. Seemed pretty obvious. The play noted above was pretty bad. I thought I saw a block in the back on that kick return, but didn't see a replay to confirm.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Early in the game, an NCSt player put a forearm into the back of a players helmet. Seemed pretty obvious. The play noted above was pretty bad. I thought I saw a block in the back on that kick return, but didn't see a replay to confirm.
I saw that. No call, of course.

Reaction Score
Was at game and as far away from that first down play and was questioning it live. Glad this confirms even with all the drinks i can trust my instincts.

Anyway, was the pass interference a good call. I am being honest i did not see but felt the flag came out pretty late.

Reaction Score
I was in that corner end zone and the ref initially was marking it just inside the 5 and then looked across the field to the chains and shuffled over.

I couldn’t tell from my angel that the NCST runner was short but it was obvious that the ref was moving the ball to avoid having to bring the chains across the field.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yeah not even close can’t believe they didn’t at least use the chains

Reaction Score
The team played hard, they competed, I'm happy with their play although I wanted a win.

The officiating was horrible. Bad spot for a first down, every significant call went one way, and I saw a blatant holding call on the edge on NCST on a large pickup that the officials had to see but didn't call. Shortly after that, they made that call against us on a very similar play

While simple math doesn't always tell the truth, your eyes don't lie
The replay showed that this happened right in front of the official who was running towards the play. It was blatant negligence.

Reaction Score
Was the referee crew from the ACC? They sure seemed to call it like they had a vested interest in the game.

Reaction Score

View attachment 91127

Terrible spot! I was screaming from my seat but to no avail. Most of the fans around thought it was 4th down after the play and were confused when the chains were moved

Reaction Score
Terrible spot! I was screaming from my seat but to no avail. Most of the fans around thought it was 4th down after the play and were confused when the chains were moved
I was at the game last night and watched it when I got home. The announcers both definitely stated it would be a 4th and 1 ... And seemed very surprised when the 1st down was given.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I did not see. But seemed like flag cane out late and being homer I am I was ticked off.
I watched on TV. The Ref was going for the flag early but was having a problem getting it out.

Reaction Score
I commented to my friend when it happed that one thing that has been taken out of the game is the measurement for first down. Used to happen several times a game, now rarely.

Reaction Score
Both pass interferences were good calls.
Disagree on the second one in the endzone. While the defender was not turned around, the ball was so badly underthrown the receiver had to stop and come back on his route (through the defender) to even have a chance at the ball. The contact was initiated because of this. The only thing the defender is guilty of is being in good position to defend the route the receiver was running but turned around from the ball - in and of itself, that's not PI. If the ball is thrown to where the receiver is actually going, there would've almost certainly been no contact.

On the missed first down spot, it's entirely possible UConn's coaches in charge of telling Mora to challenge didn't have a good video view. The play happened on the opposite sideline so no one could see it with their own eyes and CBS's only showed the one angle from the main camera. CBS didn't show a slow-mo replay, other shot, or anything. The coaches would've had to make the call based on that one view with an unreliable TV yellow line on the field. Obviously an awful spot by the ref on the sideline, but not completely unreasonable to not challenge there that early.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Both pass interferences were good calls.
And stupid plays, especially the first when our guy played it perfectly and then used his hands quite unnecessarily. There was no chance for that pass to be completed. The end zone PI was slightly less stupid as our guy simply lost awareness of where he was in relation to the play and the guy he was covering. So there was contact.

Reaction Score
And stupid plays, especially the first when our guy played it perfectly and then used his hands quite unnecessarily. There was no chance for that pass to be completed. The end zone PI was slightly less stupid as our guy simply lost awareness of where he was in relation to the play and the guy he was covering. So there was contact.
There was contact, but it was the result of a bad throw. IIRC, and CBS doesn't post game replays to check, the receiver initiated contact to come back to the badly underthrown ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom