? about Temple exit fee | The Boneyard

? about Temple exit fee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i haven't been following the Temple situation too deeply, but is the Big East going to pay Temple's exit fee to the MAC? that's total bull. if they want to join our conference and reap the economic windfall it entails, they should have to pay their own way. it should be their investment, not ours. don't most BCS conferences require incoming schools to pay some kind of entrance fee? and here we are giving Temple of all places money to join our conference. i think Temple was probably the best choice available, but they shouldn't be given the red carpet treatment.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure matt, but the more I think about it, the more put off I will be if the BE does cover the nut for Temple. I could have gotten behind paying a big chunk of Boise's, as they at least bring a consistent top 10 FB program to the party. Temple, not so much. If the BE covers the cost of the exit as a loan, and Temple repays it back over the next few years, that would be fine, but I will be disappointed (but not surprised) if the BE covers the entire cost free of charge. .

Reaction Score
I'm torn. TheBig East is in a bind: It needs to cover the black hole of one conference game lost for current members by the exit of WVU & time is past short to recover. Options are few. Temple is available as one of them. If the price of an easy fix in scheduling is paying the Owls meager (by comparison) exit fee, get it done with the stiplation that Temple's payback to the Conference comes from extraction of future television earnings. Sorry to be a voice of reason, I don't know what's gotten into me. Must have a case of realignment flu.:confused:

Reaction Score
I htink the problem is that after making the West Virginia deal, there needs to be a replacement by July 1. Unless you want to play Fordham. The fee for Boise was high enough that it didn't make sense to add them right away, especially when they are coming next year anyway. the fee from the MAC to add Temple is much more modest, and they are located in the right spot and it is a transition year anyway.

Reaction Score
A couple of observations:

1. tough times make for tough decisions - want to be in a small conference, playing teams twice to fill the schedule?
2. kind of ironic that after all the bellyaching over WVU's tactics, we are not concerned about poaching another team, we are concerned about who pays;
3. I believe the B12 funded WVU's exit

Reaction Score
There is no morality in these economic decisions -- it is based upon dollars and cents. We have no way of knowing that the conference (because it's the Presidents calling the shots) is making the best deal they could, but we have no reason to doubt they are either.

It's the long term that matters and is worse focusing on. How we get through the transition is details.

Reaction Score
I believe WV coughed up $9 million and the Bid 12 fronted then $11 million, which I think was a loan.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I literally do not give a s*** who pays for what.

Near as I can tell, none of it is my money, the portion of it that's UConn's money doesn't concern me and I'm nearly giddy at the thought of Providence's money paying for another football school.

So if the Big East pays Temple's way, great*. If they don't, great.

* As great as great can be given that I want to stick my head in the oven over being in a conference with Temple.

Reaction Score
I literally do not give a s*** who pays for what.

Near as I can tell, none of it is my money, the portion of it that's UConn's money doesn't concern me and I'm nearly giddy at the thought of Providence's money paying for another football school.

So if the Big East pays Temple's way, great*. If they don't, great.

* As great as great can be given that I want to stick my head in the oven over being in a conference with Temple.
My thoughts exactly. Especially the last line. Get us the duck out of this mess...please. If this basketball season going down in flames is the price, I'm okay with that... (at least then I can rationalize it in karmic reasons)

Reaction Score
it's not you're money, but a portion is UConn's money, and if i didn't care about UConn's money i wouldn't donate. don't want to see them piss away several hundred thousand to pay for Temple to join the BE.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
it's not you're money, but a portion is UConn's money, and if i didn't care about UConn's money i wouldn't donate. don't want to see them piss away several hundred thousand to pay for Temple to join the BE.

You would rather them play Fordham?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc