AAU for UConn? | The Boneyard

AAU for UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can someone in the know provide detail on our progress, what is left to do and educated guess on how long it will take to meet requirements? I know we would still need the votes to get in. How likely is that?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think we're really that close.

We lag other candidates in research dollars, membership in National Academies (last count, I think we had just one or two), etc.

I think it's a crap shoot as to when or if UConn gets to the AAU.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Were a lot closer to AAC than AAU unfortunately

Reaction Score
If we need AAU to get in the B1G, I'm done paying attention. We are quite a way from it unless we have some sort of help from people that want us in. I believe that B1G powers like Michigan, tOSU and Wisconsin can pull strings to help us if they want to.

I also stand by my assertion that if Delaney wants UConn, he will say nothing that might motivate the ACC to act on us. Especially not in a venue so well covered by media. AAU isn't 100% required or Nebraska would get the boot. Admitting them as AAU members when you knew they were leaving AAU makes no sense for a conference truly married to AAU.

Reaction Score
I don't think we're really that close.

We lag other candidates in research dollars, membership in National Academies (last count, I think we had just one or two), etc.

I think it's a crap shoot as to when or if UConn gets to the AAU.
>

Reaction Score
I asked my neighbor who is a prof at Uconn. He said he knows it's a goal but he doesn't expect membership anytime soon. He was on a committee to find the new Provost a couple years ago and he said that was an important interview question at the time.

pj

Reaction Score
The university needs to roughly double its research funds and/or double average faculty quality in terms of ability to acquire grants. That can be done, but you would normally have to expect it would take a complete turnover of the faculty, or about 30 years. The process can be accelerated if the university grows, which it is doing. I would say at least 10 years.

That said, UConn is already on par with Kansas and a few other bottom-tier AAU schools. We are just behind maybe 20-30 schools not in the AAU. So if the AAU were to decide to enlarge its membership, the problem gets a lot easier.

Reaction Score
The university needs to roughly double its research funds and/or double average faculty quality in terms of ability to acquire grants. That can be done, but you would normally have to expect it would take a complete turnover of the faculty, or about 30 years. The process can be accelerated if the university grows, which it is doing. I would say at least 10 years.

That said, UConn is already on par with Kansas and a few other bottom-tier AAU schools. We are just behind maybe 20-30 schools not in the AAU. So if the AAU were to decide to enlarge its membership, the problem gets a lot easier.
So you're saying it's our faculty's fault we're not in the B1G? :) Damn, I always thought it was Jeffie's fault. I blame Hogan

Reaction Score
Being associated with Universitas 21 is not bad. But Delaney's AAU requirement statement may get the state moving to develop the university even more.

Reaction Score

You have to compare federal peer-reviewed research grants though. Many of the 20-30 ahead of UConn are bringing in grants through other means. Many associate grants with running a university hospital. The AAU knows how to discriminate against such numbers so that USF and Cincy can't join. It's one thing to use grants to run a hospital... and it's quite another to use peer-reviewed grants for research.

This is why Boston U. was added recently despite being behind a good number of the 20-30 schools you mentioned.

Reaction Score
If we need AAU to get in the B1G, I'm done paying attention. We are quite a way from it unless we have some sort of help from people that want us in. I believe that B1G powers like Michigan, tOSU and Wisconsin can pull strings to help us if they want to.

I also stand by my assertion that if Delaney wants UConn, he will say nothing that might motivate the ACC to act on us. Especially not in a venue so well covered by media. AAU isn't 100% required or Nebraska would get the boot. Admitting them as AAU members when you knew they were leaving AAU makes no sense for a conference truly married to AAU.
I believe that he stated that AAU membership upon application the the B1G was required. If you get thrown out of the AAU and you are already a member than that is acceptable. (Yes another double standard for UConn). This eliminates UConn. All the strings can be pulled, but unless this requirement is revised, there will be no B1G in UConn's future. So you and I can now stop paying attention. If you think that he is concerned that the ACC might take UConn you are also dreaming. That ship sailed as well when they took Louisville and he was well aware that UConn was on the ACC radar. If we add today's Delany interview, with Geno's radio show, and the SI report on the B1G, then pretty much, all of the speculation of UConn's escape from the AAC is nothing more than hyperbole and fantasy.

Reaction Score
buddy said:
I believe that he stated that AAU membership upon application the the B1G was required. If you get thrown out of the AAU and you are already a member than that is acceptable. (Yes another double standard for UConn). This eliminates UConn. All the strings can be pulled, but unless this requirement is revised, there will be no B1G in UConn's future. So you and I can now stop paying attention. If you think that he is concerned that the ACC might take UConn you are also dreaming. That ship sailed as well when they took Louisville and he was well aware that UConn was on the ACC radar. If we add today's Delany interview, with Geno's radio show, and the SI report on the B1G, then pretty much, all of the speculation of UConn's escape from the AAC is nothing more than hyperbole and fantasy.

My point on Nebraska was that everyone knew they were losing AAU status when they applied to the B1G. Obviously, it wasn't that important. The situation technically fits the supposed criteria, but it certainly doesn't reinforce the idea that AAU is a must.

As far as UConn goes, the ACC is still possible. The ACC has a crappy tv deal compared to the other four power conferences and UConn has a great market. We also have a third major sport in women's basketball that brings great tv ratings. I suspect UConn may be part of an ACC plan to get more money before too long.

Reaction Score

One year before Nebraska was added to the B1G, Michigan and Nebraska conspired to oust it from the AAU. When the committee on membership voted to keep Nebraska, the chair (Michigan) and associate chair (Wisconsin) tabled the vote, reconstituted the committee 4 months later, and voila, a year after that, Nebraska was voted out. When the president of Wisconsin left to become the president of Amherst College, she was quoted as saying that Nebraska's AAU status wasn't discussed once when it came up for B1G candidacy. What the president of Nebraska couldn't fathom was whether Nebraska was going to be added to the B1G at the same time he knew (almost immediately a year earlier) about the moves that Michigan made against his school in the AAU. This was all revealed through a FOIA request, since the whole debacle was described backchannels through emails from former PSU President Graham Spanier (who was previously the Pres. of Nebraska) and the President of Northwestern to the Pres. of Nebraska.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Then why do you continue to post here and annoy everyone?

Reaction Score
Then why do you continue to post here and annoy everyone?
I am just being truthful. All of this speculation here getting people's hopes up only to see them squashed time and time again takes a toll. I will try to stop posting, but it won't be easy given the level of denial on this board.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Why even have a Conference Realignment board if we can't speculate (hope) about UCONN's chances to escape AAC purgatory? UCONN is a GREAT school that many of us LOVE. There are fans and alum on this site who see the value that UCONN brings even if others don't.

If we can't/shouldn't talk about UCONN's CR chances, what threads should we post here? "UCONN + AAC = Great!", "Who Needs Money Anyway?", "Top 10 Reasons Why UCONN Doesn't Belong With The Almighty Syracuse, BC, and Rutgers"????

Gotta love the Boneyard. It's the place that UCONN fans come to to be chastised for thinking positively about UCONN by...other UCONN fans.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I am just being truthful. All of this speculation here getting people's hopes up only to see them squashed time and time again takes a toll. I will try to stop posting, but it won't be easy given the level of denial on this board.

I have no idea how this will play out, but would rather be hopeful than "truthful" (or at least your self-proclaimed version of "truth"). I doubt that you know any more than anybody else. What "takes a toll," for me at least, is not expressions of optimism but your constant nay-saying. I am astonished by your statement that you will "try to stop posting" but somehow feel it is your mission in life to keep posting and correct everybody who disagrees with you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know anything other than what I read in the news and on this site. I am frustrated. I am disgusted. I am angry. I hate when someone says UConn is going to the B1G in 30 days and it doesn't happen. I hate when people from BC, ND, and FSU mention how wonderful that are and that UConn is out and they are in. I am disgusted to read that UCF will get into a P5 before UConn. I am sick of hearing about how great the new BE is in basketball, when we all know that they are terrible. I am tired of injustice. You want optimism, here it is: I have no doubt that within the next 10-20 years UConn will be in another conference, and I will be even crazier than I am now if I'm still alive.

pj

Reaction Score
I don't know anything other than what I read in the news and on this site. I am frustrated. I am disgusted. I am angry. I hate when someone says UConn is going to the B1G in 30 days and it doesn't happen. I hate when people from BC, ND, and FSU mention how wonderful that are and that UConn is out and they are in. I am disgusted to read that UCF will get into a P5 before UConn. I am sick of hearing about how great the new BE is in basketball, when we all know that they are terrible. I am tired of injustice. You want optimism, here it is: I have no doubt that within the next 10-20 years UConn will be in another conference, and I will be even crazier than I am now if I'm still alive.

Don't despair. We haven't yet pulled out our futile and stupid gesture.

Reaction Score
UCONN has been a better program than BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, Va Tech, WVU, Miami, and on and on. Sometimes Character is more important than who your friends are. I am assuming we will be in the AAC for quite a while. Those other programs may currently be in a better neighborhood, but I am thankful we have the better program. That is really all that matters.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
So your job is to provide the voice of reason to another teams fanbase. Why? It seems someone would have better things to do than poke a stick at a wounded group of fans from another university. Just seems a little sad I guess.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Every single one of our local rivals would swap AD success with us in a heartbeat. UCONN is a top 20 public university with championship level athletics and an AD budget in line with several P5 schools. We just raised KO into the top 10 and invested significantly in football with coached salaries. I don't think UCONN would have done either if our leaders felt like we were in the AAC for the long haul.

We are all frustrated. It's no fun seeing schools with inferior ADs and/or academics in a P5 conference while we are subjected to this nonsense. I'm just tired of hearing all of the unsubstantiated reasons why UCONN is not P5 worthy when if you sifted through the current P5 schools, you can point to 1/3 of them and make a pro-UCONN argument.

Reaction Score
So your job is to provide the voice of reason to another teams fanbase. Why? It seems someone would have better things to do than poke a stick at a wounded group of fans from another university. Just seems a little sad I guess.
I am not poking a stick. I am wounded and I'm sick of it. You misinterpret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom