AAU Coach Arrested - Improper Relationship | The Boneyard

AAU Coach Arrested - Improper Relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
FullCourt - Link

I suspect this is going on more then what is reported. Some in the younger generation see no problem with having sexual relations with older or casual persons. The coach should have known better.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Improper relationship? That's putting it nicely, Fullcourt. I think in most states that's statutory rape.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The age of consent in Florida is 18 and the guy was charged with sexual assault. The "improper relationship" was a quote from an official for the Essence program.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The age of consent in Florida is 18 and the guy was charged with s e xual assault. The "improper relationship" was a quote from an official for the Essence program.
Like I said, that's putting it nicely. I see no reason to do that.

HGN

Reaction Score
This sort of stuff may go on more than we suspect........But its not right. He knowingly took advantage of an underage kid...... It should be statutory rape. This guy should be put under the jail for a long, long time.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
FullCourt - Link

I suspect this is going on more then what is reported. Some in the younger generation see no problem with having s e xual relations with older or casual persons. The coach should have known better.
That is because adults don't set proper boundaries and let kids think it is all right. Kids only know what we teach and model.

Reaction Score
Tip of the ice berg. I've seen quite a few occasions of strange behavior on the local and Aau circuit.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that Parents haven't advised/instructed kids on proper boundaries. In some cases Kids don't care about boundaries and do whatever they want to do and want instant gratification. We live in a permissive society where almost anything goes and kids/adults aren't held accountable for their actions in all cases.

That because adults don't set proper boundaries and let kids think it is all right. Kids only know what we teach and model.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I really think this is nothing new - it has been happening for as long as humans have been around. With the plethora of news media we and a more open society we certainly hear about it more frequently but I really don't think the incidence is significantly different. I guess the one variable that has changed is age of first sexual activity in teens but we are still talking statutory age just younger.
That isn't to say that this is not disturbing or to condone the activity - just that it isn't a recent phenomenon - was happening in the sixties and seventies as well.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that Parents haven't advised/instructed kids on proper boundaries. In some cases Kids don't care about boundaries and do whatever they want to do and want instant gratification. We live in a permissive society where almost anything goes and kids/adults aren't held accountable for their actions in all cases.
While true, there are also plenty of cases where Ice is correct. There are also plenty of cases where parents set overly strict boundaries (I'm not saying wrong, just perceptually excessive) and you get rebellion.

I admire parents everywhere. A tough job.

And yes, he should have known better and will and must be punished for his misjudgment. That said, on the face of it, there are far, far worse cases that don't get publicized, and the perpetrators get off scott free.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I didn't say "parents" I said "adults." It needs to be modeled everywhere. Again, again, and again. It is not just about language and that is why I said model. Coaches need training. As pastors we receive training on boundaries. As a counselor I have received training on boundaries. It is a constant problem needing perpetual vigilance and is not something parents can just tell their kids about a couple of times.

Reaction Score
While true, there are also plenty of cases where Ice is correct. There are also plenty of cases where parents set overly strict boundaries (I'm not saying wrong, just perceptually excessive) and you get rebellion.

I admire parents everywhere. A tough job.

And yes, he should have known better and will and must be punished for his misjudgment. That said, on the face of it, there are far, far worse cases that don't get publicized, and the perpetrators get off scott free.

There a very few parents who discipline their children, the notion that " plenty of cases where parents set overly strict boundaries " is inaccurate . In 20 years of coaching I have never seen any, about 10% have the backbone to discipline their children.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
There a very few parents who discipline their children, the notion that " plenty of cases where parents set overly strict boundaries " is inaccurate . In 20 years of coaching I have never seen any, about 10% have the backbone to discipline their children.
I would answer that your last comment is over-generalizing and somewhat perceptional.

My wife and her sister were discussing parent's role in advising children as to career / college choices after high school. According to my wife's sister, no one in her circle of high school friends got any advice or help from their parents in planning the future. My wife stated that - to the best of her knowledge - all her friends got some help or advice (even if it was "go see the guidance counselor). I don't think either is lying, it is just a sample size and perception thing.

I don't disagree with your basic point that MANY parents do not set boundaries and / or do not effectively discipline their children. Ice is also correct that many adults set poor examples for young people.

Reaction Score
With the exception of a few posts, why the incitement to blame the 17 year-old (or young people). As was rightly said, adults have a responsibility to govern themselves appropriately over the young- she was his charge, although the latter should not make a difference. Let us drop all the crop about what young girls/boys may do-- including running out of the shower/dressing room with little or nothing covering her/him. The adult thing to do is to confront them and let them know that such acts are unacceptable. Not to see it or them as sexual.

Reaction Score
I pray for them to get this ressolved ASAP............Hopefully, we hear of the final verdict and its the same.........

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I really think this is nothing new - it has been happening for as long as humans have been around. With the plethora of news media we and a more open society we certainly hear about it more frequently but I really don't think the incidence is significantly different. I guess the one variable that has changed is age of first s e xual activity in teens but we are still talking statutory age just younger.
That isn't to say that this is not disturbing or to condone the activity - just that it isn't a recent phenomenon - was happening in the sixties and seventies as well.
I read somewhere that out of wedlock births were most common percentage wise in the 1890's, second in the post Revolutionary War period and third in the sixties and seventies in the U.S. By association I'm guessing that all age groups were involved.

Here is some historical info on Wikepedia:
History

While the age of consent is now set between 16 and 18 in all U.S. states, the age of consent has widely varied across the country in the past. In 1880, the age of consent was 10 in most states but ranged from 7 in Delaware to 12 across nine states and the District of Columbia.[42]

Reaction Score
What's amazing is this is a NIKE sponsored club..if you recall there was a similar incident this year for another NIKE Club..the Fairfax Stars (and the girls were below 17)..and what I've seen from other NIKE organizations like the Mike Flynn lead Philly Belles (tweeting a standing offer for recently fired Georgetown coach Brown (verbal abuse) to coach the Belles) it is just astonishing that NIKE wouldn't be more concerned about who is representing their brand and/or provide more oversight to ensure that youth/AAU sports don't become more corrupted than they are.. instead the NIKE brand is being used as a carrot to lure girls into the programs...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I read somewhere that out of wedlock births were most common percentage wise in the 1890's, second in the post Revolutionary War period and third in the sixties and seventies in the U.S. By association I'm guessing that all age groups were involved.

Here is some historical info on Wikepedia:
History

While the age of consent is now set between 16 and 18 in all U.S. states, the age of consent has widely varied across the country in the past. In 1880, the age of consent was 10 in most states but ranged from 7 in Delaware to 12 across nine states and the District of Columbia.[42]

Part of that statistical info may be related to the prevalence of 'common law' marriage in previous centuries - basically if you committed to live together why bother paying a parson. Would need to drill down into the data further to see how they treated those undocumented marriages. But a valid point. I do think the average age for first experience in my lifetime has certainly gone down from late teens to early to mid-teens but that might be reversing a trend from previous centuries - I really don't know.
I do remember working the summer 1978 in backwoods TN and being surprised that the age of consent to get married without parental permission for boys was 16 and for girls was 12 - I was working a production of The Music Man and for the Saturday matinees our chorus which was mostly 14-16 yr old girls was always very sparse as they were attending classmates' weddings. And our 26 yr old leading man was in his third marriage and carrying on an affair with the leading lady! A bit of a culture shock for a good old CT Yankee!

Reaction Score
Florida has two ages of consent and they each depend on the partner's age. If the partner is 23 and under the age of consent is 16 years old. If the partner, like in this case, is 24 or older the age of consent is 18 years old.

Reaction Score
you're reaching
How so? For clarification I did not mean to say that they are being lured to NIKE programs to be exploited but they are lured their for the ability to play in select tournaments, on select teams, and even get their season paid for in some instances...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A few of you seem to be drifting into the bizzare relativistic (maybe atavistic) world where a certain Montana judge lives; you know, it hit the national headlines about a month ago when he sentenced a 35-40 year old teacher to 30 days for raping a 14 year old, saying she was older than her actual age! If you can't keep it in your pants, go pay for it from an adult.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Part of that statistical info may be related to the prevalence of 'common law' marriage in previous centuries - basically if you committed to live together why bother paying a parson. Would need to drill down into the data further to see how they treated those undocumented marriages. But a valid point. I do think the average age for first experience in my lifetime has certainly gone down from late teens to early to mid-teens but that might be reversing a trend from previous centuries - I really don't know.
I do remember working the summer 1978 in backwoods TN and being surprised that the age of consent to get married without parental permission for boys was 16 and for girls was 12 - I was working a production of The Music Man and for the Saturday matinees our chorus which was mostly 14-16 yr old girls was always very sparse as they were attending classmates' weddings. And our 26 yr old leading man was in his third marriage and carrying on an affair with the leading lady! A bit of a culture shock for a good old CT Yankee!

I do genealogy as a hobby. I have pored over thousands of birth records and court documents - from the 17th and 18th century. I think a lot of people might be surprised at the number of illegitimate births during that period. Even here in puritanical New England there are many court records with fines levied for adultery and support payments for children born out of wedlock. Even more interesting are the number of early births - children born shortly after marriage.

However, it was nothing approaching the out of wedlock birth rates seen today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom