Aaliyah update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aaliyah update

Reaction Score
Also doesn’t Georgetown have the added incentive to win as they get an automatic bid to the tournament? They are playing for that and their coach they lost. This game will be brutal. I’m really worried about the safety of our team.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Don't worry. After the fallout from the South Carolina/LSU PR disaster, the refs will be doing everything they can to cut down on the rough stuff.
so the Pac-12 refs in the USC-Stanford game didn't read the memo? Or was it too soon after that game for them to care?

Kat

Reaction Score
so the Pac-12 refs in the USC-Stanford game didn't read the memo? Or was it too soon after that game for them to care?
As both games were played on the same day, no, there was no memo, but there will be some directives given come NCAA tourney time.

Reaction Score
Yes, rest her for the tournament... get ICE some additional game time minutes...
BUT... have Aaliyah suited up on the bench in the event that we have someone
foul out or an inj*ry ( don't say that word !). Avoid the forfeit at all costs!!
I’m pretty sure the rule is you have to start the game with 7. Once the game starts there would be no forfeit I think they can even play with less then 5.

Reaction Score
Also doesn’t Georgetown have the added incentive to win as they get an automatic bid to the tournament? They are playing for that and their coach they lost. This game will be brutal. I’m really worried about the safety of our team.
What does that mean that you’re worried about the safety of the team???

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In the discussions of whether a player should play or sit out we rarely (if ever) seem to consider what the player thinks. Suppose Aaliyah has made the decision not to return next year and she goes to Geno and says "I only have a few games left and I"m playing today!" Is Geno going to say no?

Obviously she needs to be cleared to play by the team doctor.
Good point. As he said, when she is ready. So if they doctors clear her (not sure that is happening) and she's without pain and wants to play (not sure that is happening either), I think he would let her.... with precautions, i.e. mask.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Probably that they will play the game like a rugby scrum and possibly injure our players. I'm worried about that too. Which is why I said in another post that I hope the refs who we got the other day are LONG gone. This game needs to be called tight. Play hard defense without playing dirty or like a football game.

In the meantime, best wishes for Aaliyah for a speedy recovery from her "way broken" nose. It was great to see her smiling on the bench yesterday, even if her nose area looked like it had been stung by several bees...!

Reaction Score
This game needs to be called tight

Short-handed as we are, better if it's called right. A few early fouls called to "control the game" and we could be in trouble from the start.

Safety is more important than winning the game, so I hope the officials are on it. But it would be better if they find a way other than just whistle blowing at phantoms or on normal tight defense.

Reaction Score
Yes! Absolutely worried about the safety of our team. I watched all their games in this tournament and they were extremely physical, even bouncing off each other. Something like bumping cars. Not that they aren’t talented, but even several of their own got hurt.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Our margin of victory against Georgetown has taken a major hit. But we should prevail in this game if the team does not press unduly. In that connection it is vital that we get off to a good start and that is largely about Paige, although Ash could do her Paige imitation in the first quarter.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I really don't care about potential losses, forfeits or the way anything looks to the selection committee. The BE Tournament Championship may be the only thing we win this season besides the regular season crown, but even that is not more important than the health of a great player like Aaliyah Edwards. I hope she does not play and be subjected to hard contact. Even with a mask it is so soon I can't imagine the pain.

Reaction Score
You are aware that UConn lost 2 more players to injury this week, yes? They are down to 7, including one seldom-used sophomore, and 4 of the remaining 6 active players are freshmen.
Ok but ND had to play 6 vs NC State so it could be worse. I'm confident Uconn will win solidly.

Reaction Score
When AE broke her nose in pre-season October 2022, how long was it before she even resumed practice?

The nose is sensitive, and can't imagine how many days (into weeks) she would even want to play, even with a face mask. So, obviously I can't see Georgetown, and I don't know how long beyond that either.

It's only a nose, but the nose knows it doesn't want to get bumped again!!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Ok but ND had to play 6 vs NC State so it could be worse. I'm confident Uconn will win solidly.
Did the Golden Domers only have 6 players available, and if so, I thought 7 available players were the minimum required?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
When AE broke her nose in pre-season October 2022, how long was it before she even resumed practice?

The nose is sensitive, and can't imagine how many days (into weeks) she would even want to play, even with a face mask. So, obviously I can't see Georgetown, and I don't know how long beyond that either.

It's only a nose, but the nose knows it doesn't want to get bumped again!!
Maybe situations/scenarios are different in October than in March?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
In the discussions of whether a player should play or sit out we rarely (if ever) seem to consider what the player thinks.
That's no doubt reciprocated by the team and player ignoring the Boneyards input.

Reaction Score
Just some thoughts. UConn fans travel and UConn is a big draw. UConn will be in Albany or the NCAA looses money. I also believe UConn will get a 2 seed in Albany. Aaliyah will be healthy for the NCAAs in 2 weeks and with her out Ice has gotten alot of big time experience which will help down the road. Everybody else has got to learn to get to their spots and Make Shots.
Tony I agree on this. Have mentioned it before. They will be the #2 Seed in the Second Albany Region. Texas will loose and then drop. Iowa should be the No. 1 Seed in Albany 2. Whether UConn is a Second or Third Seed in Albany 2 its basically the same. Bring on the CC and PB show.

Reaction Score
Our margin of victory against Georgetown has taken a major hit. But we should prevail in this game if the team does not press unduly. In that connection it is vital that we get off to a good start and that is largely about Paige, although Ash could do her Paige imitation in the first quarter.
RockyMTblue2- - IMHO UConn has to play exactly like they did yesterday zoned in from the start and their normal aggression!
You dance with who brung ya!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom